Originally posted by Daniel
...made it to the sailing club for 10:30...
Uh? The only way you could have made it before 11:30 is if you put your clocks back whilst on the motorway, or replaced the engine in your Honda with an Optimax!
Hey, I'll fill in the details about that "spot of trouble" you mentioned, 'cos it turned the end of the day into a bit of an epic.
After parting company with "Liquidator" I opened up the throttle and was feeling pleased with the new top speed of 46kts from the new prop. It lasted less than ten minutes, as somewhere near Newtown Creek the engine revs went wild, I cut the throttle quickly, but couldn't get the power back on - all noise and no acceleration as if the gearbox has gone kaput. We could make about 10-12kts before losing drive. Quick inspection of the leg & prop showed all looking OK, and a few more attempts with the throttle showed that about 2100-2200 rpm was achieveable before losing drive each time. So, we limped home at 10kts (decreasing to 7kts as the symptoms got worse later) and the last 25 miles took two and a half hours instead of about 30mins. All in the dark, and absolutely freezing cold once the sun had disappeared.
The only explanation that we could think of was that the prop bushing had given up, so I've taken the prop back off this afternoon, and as soon as I removed the front splined washer, there was the evidence - bits of rubber which look as if they had melted/worn away from the outside, and the inner surface of the stainless steel barrel of the prop looking, err, well the only description I can come up with is "skidmarked".
So, it's off to find a prop repairer tomorrow.