Old 16 March 2006, 21:07   #1

Town: Malmesbury
Boat name: Gladiator
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 50
Fowey Cruising Advice.

Hi all,
I've just booked a cottage in Mixtow, just up the river from Fowey this Easter. I'll also be bringing my RIB, so I'm looking for advice on where to cruise to, Pubs and places of interest within 10 miles.

I was thinking of travelling up the Fowey river and surrounding creeks as well as jaunts over to Polperro and surrounding beaches.

Looking at some of the previous postings, Fowey seems to be a regular cruise spot. Any advice on where to go, from people who have been there before would be greatly appreciated.
I also be doing some fishing while my wife goes shopping, so advice on any local 'hotspots' would be good as well.

Hoping for good weather,

Mark
Old 16 March 2006, 22:31   #2

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
10 miles ????? not very far - have you only got a small fuel tank ?????

Theres a fair amount of exploring to do in the Fowey Estury its self but I doubt it would last much longer than a day before you had seen it all.

Next stop is Looe about 9 NMiles heading up the coast to the east. Never been there myself but planning to this summer after Looe your next closest place is a 20 NMile trip to Plymouth - and theres another day sorted. After that 20 Nmiles in the oposite direction will get you to The Fal Esturay and the helford river. Pleanty to see and do there for at least 2 days.

How long are you down for.

I am out cruising up and down this stretch of coast nearly every day off I have in the summer soi give me and the other Cornish ribsters a shout when you are down.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2006, 23:55   #3

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
There are lots of good cruises from fowey both up river and down .

Up river you need to be near the high tide as the mud flats are huge and you are stuck before you know it . The deep chanel is not well marked

Lerryn is up river take the right fork once you are above the big dock where the ships load china clay . lovely pub and tea and pasties etc at post office .

Keep to the left and you can cruise up to Lostwithiel and a pub and landing spot by the bridge at end of navigation best to stop at the quay if your in a deep hull boat. again you need high tide and watch out for the mud . Gets really twisty and narrow at top Kids love it like a water race track.

Across the harbor is Polruan more good pubs etc .

Up the coast ist stop is Lantic bay about 3 miles good beach and camp spot

Next is little beach in cove called lansallos good snorkeling and swimming very sheltered .

Next is Polperro then Loe everyone knows them I guess .

You have Charlestown more pubs and interesting old clay port

Next is Mevagissy Like Loe old touristy fishing village .

if the weather is bad and you fancy trailering for a calm trip the slipway at saltash under the bridge is ok at all but the lowest tide ,also has a new deep water pontoon all FOC inc parking with choice of 4 pubs ,There is a big waterski area jut upriver of the the tamar bridge. its a long cruise up river on a high tide and quite interesting with lots of history and places to stop at , and downriver there is dockyard warships and the sound , with good pubs and mooring etc at Cawsand .
Old 17 March 2006, 15:23   #4

Sorry i just re read this and somehow I deleted a sentence that makes it confusing now .

after Polperro and loe I should have said if you turn right out of Fowey and head across the bay there is charlestown and mevagissy etc and St Mawes and Falmouth furthar down
Old 17 March 2006, 17:13   #5

Thanks for the advice Roycruse, Ian

My fuel tank is OK, but being an 'open sea' virgin I'm always concerned about my outboard packing in miles from anywhere.
There's no reason for this as its never let me down.

I think I'll venture out and explore Polperro and Looe as suggested.
I'm in Fowey for 5 days so should get at least 3 days out on the RIB and now I've got plenty places to visit.

Nearer the time I'll send out another posting to see if I can meet up with the Cornish Ribsters.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 17 March 2006, 17:27   #6

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
I have 2 weeks off this Easter so will no doubt be out and about on the water for most of it - if you fancy some more serious distances and we get lucky with the weather I'll happily accompany you to safeguard against breakdown...

Also I travel from the Fal Estuary to Fowey regularly (I just don't seem to be able to get bored of that stretch of coastline) so we will definitely be able to met up for some lunch and a few beers one day...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2006, 17:31   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
with good pubs and mooring etc at Cawsand .

It's years since I've been to Cawsand-have they removed that awful outflow pipe now that used to leave turds floating past you on your way in?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2006, 18:02   #8

Yes pipe seems to have gone at Cawsand . Nothing much else has changed , you can still launch down the beach with a smaller boat or sib and my favourite golden sandy beach is just a few miles out around Rame head wich also has a good tide race to play in .

Mark is there room for a small auxilary engine on your boat , would give you peace of mind , I must admit trusting engines is an issue for me but if there is an engine I trust its my little Honda 2.2 air cooled no gearbox so simple just 12kg , not sure if one of these is big enough for an auxiliary . You would be welcome to try mine when you are down here .
Old 20 March 2006, 09:21   #9

Ian,

No, there's not really room for a spare outboard.
I plan to keep inshore, so if I did have any problems I would not have far to row.
As I said before, there's now reason for the engine to fail. Its been serviced and runs OK. Its just a confidence thing.
Cruising with another RIB, long distance would be very re-assuring.

I visited Cawsand in July last year on my RIB and had a great time.
I did'nt see any floating 'turds' either!

Mark
Old 24 March 2006, 00:39   #10

I would be happy to join you in my little boat but i expect you would be much faster . But I guess if you knew there was somebody else around it would help .
Having said that there are allways lots of boats around the Fowey area so if you did have a problem someone will always give you a tow . Above fowey in whitsand bay where they sunk the ship for divers there is always lots of dive boats out even this time of year .
How big does a rib need to be to carry an auxiliary engine on the transom. ?