Old 30 March 2009, 20:26   #21

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Whilst I always try to carry correct paperwork and indeed do posess it all, I would point out in probably a dozen or more channel crossings I have NEVER been asked for any of the paperwork.
Old 30 March 2009, 21:07   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
In fact, BIBOA are the British Inflatable Boat Owners Assc. 'Julian' Lyall is a member of this site and is an organiser for them. They put some good cruises together.
Old 31 March 2009, 06:16   #23

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Thanks Mollers

Daniel. I take your point. It's a good idea to have the right bits of paper just in case.
Old 31 March 2009, 08:42   #24

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post
Thanks Mollers

Daniel. I take your point. It's a good idea to have the right bits of paper just in case.
In total agreement with all of the above.
As with most things, being prepared is the key.Looking forward to nice cruise with a few friends later this year!Thanks to everyone for thier input.
Old 04 April 2009, 21:52   #25

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Paper work

I live in Jersey and have been to all the local French ports many times. Only in one (Dielette) have I been asked for all my paperwork although that was when I had a yacht and was staying for a few days. French police carry guns; don't cheek them or kick off. For some reason, it's a big no-no to photograph French cops or their police stations. I remember taking a snap of the rather pretty quayside police station in Granville a few years back only to have two cops run out, grab hold of me and demand to know what I was doing. I suppose it must be a prevention of terrorism thing. Anyway, bring all you paperwork with you. In the Channel Islands I'd say that proof of ownership and insurance are essential. You only need an ICC if you plan crusing in French inland waterways. Obviously bring your passport with you.

I've crossed the Channel in a rib myself when I collected my boat from Ribcraft last year. I had to get it to Jersey the next day as the Island was introducing a form of VAT and I was going to get stung for several £K if I didn't get it here beforehand. I left Weymouth in a F5, on my own, and with no experience of ribbing. It was quite a crossing - I remember almost nodding off near the Casquets I was so tired and being bounced out my seat a little later on. Anyway, I made it and have done several 100-mile trips since then. My advice for long journeys is to be aware of your cruising range and to carry spare fuel. A heavily laden boat and choppy seas will significantly increase fuel consumption. Also, know your own limits if you're doing all the helming. You can start to make silly mistakes if you're tired, cold, frightened or all three. By the way, if you're thinking of going to the Brittany ports west of Perros be aware that there is virtually no quayside petrol available. You may have to collect it by cans from garages several miles away - distinctly bad news if your boat uses as much fuel as mine does. However, all the ports from Cherbourg to St. Malo have petrol and unleaded is 60p a litre in Jersey at the moment. Reason enough to pay us a visit I would have thought.
Old 04 April 2009, 22:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
......... My advice for long journeys is to be aware of your cruising range and to carry spare fuel. A heavily laden boat and choppy seas will significantly increase fuel consumption.
Maximus wont appreciate advice of this nature as he considers it 'OBVIOUS', being a boater of 30yrs experience. He'll get arsey and start SHOUTING at you.

Personally, I consider your post very interesting and informative.
Old 04 April 2009, 22:18   #27

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Well i imagine as he started the thread that he does welcome the advice.what do you think
Old 04 April 2009, 23:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Well i imagine as he started the thread that he does welcome the advice.what do you think
Now read ALL of the thread numpty.
Old 05 April 2009, 09:13   #29

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Thanks for that 'GJOKY2',the practical tips about fuel availability especialy welcome,and your experiance in France 'obviously' lends weight to your advice.Seems 'Mollers' and I agree!...I also found it' interesting and informative.'
Old 05 April 2009, 10:42   #30

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
With regards paperwork, BassBoy's list in post 17 above is pretty comprehensive: whilst not all are strictly necessary, the French love of bureaucracy means that you should have all the paperwork available. I keep the originals in a waterproof wallet with laminated copies also available.

Additionally, however, bear in mind that the Channel Islands are outside the EU so that if you are planning to call there, you need to complete and deliver Part 1 of Customs Form C1331 before you leave the UK and follow the reporting procedures on the back of Part 2 upon your return before then delivering Part 2. The form is downloadable from: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000428

Since part of the reporting procedures involves flying a Q flag upon re-entering UK territorial waters until customs clearance is given, you'll also need a square of yellow material. I don't know how many people actually bother with this: certainly Customs seemed surprised when I bothered and were more interested in what I'd had by way of a rather nice lunch in Alderney than any duty free goods that I might have had.
Old 05 April 2009, 11:46   #31

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
French police

Perhaps I should have clarified why I mentioned French police rather than customs in my previous post. In official ports of entry like Cherbourg and St. Malo you will be dealt with by customs as normal but in smaller ports the local police seem to undertake that role and so you may occasionally meet them instead. French harbour authorities, in this neck of the woods at least, are always pleasant and, best of all, their marina staff don't charge visiting boats if they stay for less than a day.