Old 13 March 2011, 18:15   #1

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Ecrehous and Normandy estuaries - Saturday 19 March

Our friends from Cap Breizh will be spending Saturday afternoon on the Ecrehous and returning to Granville in the early evening via havre St. Germain (Lessay), Blainville, havre de Regneville and Brehel. Whilst at Regneville, they will attempt to get to the Pont de la Roque bridge and war memorial four miles up the Sienne estuary. I was going to try and get there myself on the big tide next monday but will probably join the French ribbers for an initial try on Saturday. Personally I think it will be a close call as Saturday's tide has only a 110 coefficient but it's well worth a go. If anyone wants to come along let me know and I'll email Michel who's organising the trip. In anycase, come along to the Ecrehous and say hello to our French counterparts; it'll be good to meet them and share a picnic.
Old 13 March 2011, 20:22   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Matt's been working hard on Martini II so he may be back in the water for next weekend, but I definitely won't. I've been giving him some moral support and supervising to ensure no bodging is going on (as if it would ). If he does get launched and doesn't mind a passenger, I'll come and meet you and Cap Briezh.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2011, 21:31   #3

Keith - nothing seems to be happening on the Paris thread at the moment; is everyone still going? My cousin may come with me but will want things confirmed fairly soon so he can arrange time off work.
Old 13 March 2011, 21:42   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
How have you managed to argue that then

Non-members are not allowed to join official meetings for insurance reasons.
Old 13 March 2011, 21:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
How have you managed to argue that then

Non-members are not allowed to join official meetings for insurance reasons.
Yes, I was told that in an email. What's that all about I wonder?
Old 13 March 2011, 22:07   #6
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Yes, I was told that in an email. What's that all about I wonder?
We laughed at first and to be honest it is quite funny. Let me explain....

There are two sections to Cap Breizh: general members on the forum and "subscribers" of which there is a maximum of 40.

The forum members have a section "Sortie hors CapBreizh" where they can arrange cruises and meetings on an informal basis just like on here.

There is another forum "Sortie Cap Briezh" (clues in the titles tbh) that is only for the forty members. They each have an organiser who plans it in depth and there is group insurance etc. We are lucky in that we are one of the forty boats, and to get in you have to provide a huge amount of detail about your insurance etc.

The trip on the 19th is an official "sortie Capbreizh" so it is only available to the 40 members. You will not be allowed to join in as far as I know.

However, thinking practically, what can they do if you turn up and tag along? I really wonder what their reaction would be. Typical Frenchie I reckon, they'd all get very pissed off and tell you to b***** off. But what if you didn't? I don't know?

Anyway....in summary... I strongly feel that they will not let you join in.

(if you really fancied it of course you could pop over to St. Malo and launch Into the Red for the trip)
Old 13 March 2011, 22:20   #7

Quote:
We laughed at first and to be honest it is quite funny. Let me explain....

There are two sections to Cap Breizh: general members on the forum and "subscribers" of which there is a maximum of 40.

The forum members have a section "Sortie hors CapBreizh" where they can arrange cruises and meetings on an informal basis just like on here.

There is another forum "Sortie Cap Briezh" (clues in the titles tbh) that is only for the forty members. They each have an organiser who plans it in depth and there is group insurance etc. We are lucky in that we are one of the forty boats, and to get in you have to provide a huge amount of detail about your insurance etc.

The trip on the 19th is an official "sortie Capbreizh" so it is only available to the 40 members. You will not be allowed to join in as far as I know.

However, thinking practically, what can they do if you turn up and tag along? I really wonder what their reaction would be. Typical Frenchie I reckon, they'd all get very pissed off and tell you to b***** off. But what if you didn't? I don't know?

Anyway....in summary... I strongly feel that they will not let you join in.

(if you really fancied it of course you could pop over to St. Malo and launch Into the Red for the trip)
That's very interesting, thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that things were so regimented within Cap Breizh. I think it would be rather ironic if i was asked to leave a trip to the Ecrehous given that any official French presence on the reef would have to have the permission of the Jersey authorities. The guy who signs himself "cap_pegase35" (Michel) emailed me to say that if I wanted to meet them on the Ecrehous and then sail back to Granville via the estuaries then it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 13 March 2011, 22:23   #8
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
The guy who signs himself "cap_pegase35" (Michel) emailed me to say that if I wanted to meet them on the Ecrehous and then sail back to Granville via the estuaries then it wouldn't be a problem.
Well he's the bloke in charge so I guess what he says goes. I have asked the question on the thread though which I assume you can't see being non-adherent, but those are the rules as far as I know.
Old 13 March 2011, 22:30   #9

Quote:
Well he's the bloke in charge so I guess what he says goes. I have asked the question on the thread though which I assume you can't see being non-adherent, but those are the rules as far as I know.
No, I did notice your post; it'll be interesting to see what they say given what you've mentioned above.
Old 13 March 2011, 22:32   #10
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
No, I did notice your post; it'll be interesting to see what they say given what you've mentioned above.
If you read the little description of the forum on the index page it states "Ce forum est dédié exclusivement aux sorties organisées par l'association CAP Breizh et réservées uniquement aux adhérents de l'association".

Fairly clear to me I must say. However if the bloke says you can go then obviously you can!
Old 13 March 2011, 22:48   #11

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Matt's been working hard on Martini II so he may be back in the water for next weekend, but I definitely won't. I've been giving him some moral support and supervising to ensure no bodging is going on (as if it would ). If he does get launched and doesn't mind a passenger, I'll come and meet you and Cap Briezh.
I might have been back in the water next weekend if someone hadn't egged me on to rip out my entire wiring loom and start again

I'll get a bit done during the week but I've still got to refit the a frame and patch the big hole I jigsaw'd out of my deck

Shame it would've been fun seeing a frenchman telling me I can't do something

Thanks Erin for your waving your majic wand/soldering iron over my 0183 network, saved me a few hours there
Old 14 March 2011, 07:47   #12

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Weather looks nice for next weekend as well!
Old 14 March 2011, 07:51   #13

Town: MELESSE
Boat name: Pégase
Make: Stylmer 640
Engine: petrol Yamaha F150A
Capbreizh

Hi,

I am the french guy Michel (cap_pegase35).
The description of gotchiguy is fully right !
On this trip, Paul asked me to see us in Ecrehou. It's a plaisure for us to meet another ribmen.
Paul ask also me if he can follow us on the Sienne and my respons was "Exceptionaly YES".
BUT, even if you can't understand the french frame of mind, the basis to take part in a "Capbreizh club trip" is to be a member of the club. The reasons are large (insurance, important trip preparation by the club ...).
For the trip of next saturday, I have saied YES to Paul (only) to follows us on the Sienne (and to speak and eat with us in Ecrehou).
We don't agree to take in charge the ribs don't members of the club. We spent a lot of time to prepare these trips for our members and I think it would be shabby to try to follow us. Of course, there isn't a war if there are other boats behind us. The sea is for everybody but I only try to understand yourself that it would be a graceless manner.
I hope you have understand my very bad English ...

Best regards.

Michel
Old 14 March 2011, 07:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capbreizh View Post
I hope you have anderstand my very bad English ...
Superieur a mes Francais!
Old 14 March 2011, 14:45   #15

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
I might have been back in the water next weekend if someone hadn't egged me on to rip out my entire wiring loom and start again
You'd have regretted it if you hadn't done it properly. Especially if you'd lost half your nav gear mid passage 'cos one fuse fed it all.

Quote:
I'll get a bit done during the week but I've still got to refit the a frame and patch the big hole I jigsaw'd out of my deck
Easy peasy. 10 mins max!

Quote:
Yeah.... we'll remember that when they try joining the Floptilla.....
I think we should cordon off the upper parts of the reef say above MLWS, lay out our beach towels and set up a passport control. Maybe even introduce a landing and anchoring fee.

Quote:
Thanks Erin for your waving your majic wand/soldering iron over my 0183 network, saved me a few hours there
You' haven't tried it all yet. Save your thanks 'til you know it works.

And GJ0KYZ, as far as Paris is concerned, it's still on in my books. Really not much more to do except pray for good weather and plan some hotels.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 05:58   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Blah blah blah
With a multiquotepost like that you deserve an award.