Click Here to Login

Old 11 January 2012, 20:28   #1

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Easdale RIB Rendezvous 5th/6th May EVENT DETAILS and REGISTRATION

The website for the event is now live

see Easdale RIB Rendezvous | Rib Adventure weekend in the west coast of Scotland

Full event details, local area information and registration.

We are looking forward to a warm, calm, weekend. Lots of RIBs and lots of good banter. Please help us spread the word

Tony
Old 11 January 2012, 20:40   #2

Some of the details -for further information log onto website

Easdale RIB Rendezvous | Rib Adventure weekend in the west coast of Scotland

Easdale RIB Rendezvous

Saturday 5th May and Saturday 6th May 2012

The details
Friday 4th May 2012

HW Oban 1648 Ht 3.1m Range 1.8m
For those arriving ‘early’ take a short shake down cruise to some of the local islands
Meet Easdale Postcode PA34 4TB. This postcode takes you to the mainland harbour
RIBs to around 6.5m. Please organise your boat ready to launch before accessing the beach. Once launched do not tie to the ferry slip, use the beach, the pier end wall or head to the harbour at Easdale Island 200m away..
Evening ‘gathering at The Oyster Bar. Meals available (1800 – 2100). Meals also available at The Puffer Bar Easdale Island 1800 – 2100. Booking advised at both.

Saturday 5th May 2012
Day Cruise followed by Rendezvous BBQ at The Puffer Bar and Restaurant, Easdale Island. (Late ferries back to ‘The Mainland’ 3 min crossing)

Early morning launching for those not able to arrive Friday.
HW 0458 – you can probably launch at Cuan till around 0900
For those wishing to cruise in company and in the interests of safety we are suggesting RIBs should be grouped (min 3 RIBs) prior to departure
For safety RIBs we offer RIBs the opportunity to check out prior to departure
Departures from 0930, Estimated travel time to Tobermory/the entrance to Loch Sunart 75 mins.
Needing a coffee – call in at Tobermory – pontoon berthing and café’s adjacent.
Our bases in Loch Sunart
Pontoon facility Salen Jetty - Salen Bay - Loch Sunart - Ardnamurchan - Argyll - West Scotland Tel 01967 431510 VHF Ch 16 Salen Jetty
The Salen Hotel, adjacent to the pontoons Salen Hotel, holiday accommodation in Salen, by Acharacle, Ardnamurchan, Scotland 01967 431661
Great walks in the Sunart Oakwoods.

From Salen undertake your own exploration. Suggestions apart from the Oakwoods
Loch Teacuis is a navigational challenge. Call at Nadurra Visitor Centre Glenmore

Alternatives should the weather be good
Ardnamurchan Lighthouse (UK’s most westerly mainland point). Jetty tucked away just north of lighthouse, Tearooms.
From here you could head northwards to the isles of Muck and Eigg
It is possible to circumnavigate Mull calling at The Treshnish Isles, Staffa and Iona. Please note circumnavigating Mull is is a tour of around 110 miles and once committed to Iona you have to face the Torran Rocks which can be very rough. You can ask Seafari for advice on the day.

IRRESPECTIVE of your ‘tour’ we do ask that RIBs tour in groups of a minimum of THREE to act as a safety net

The return – If you booked out, please check back in on your return.

SATURDAY NIGHT AT ‘THE PUFFER Bar & Restaurant, Easdale Island’
Come along and enjoy great Scottish hospitality at The Puffer. Gourmet BBQ featuring the Best of The West Coast Shellfish and local produce freshly cooked by head chef Des and his team. Live music all evening and great banter is guaranteed! Here’s the boring but important part – Booking is ESSENTIAL! We source from small local producers and due to the volume required for this weekend it really makes life easier for all if we know numbers so please book early and we will be very grateful. We can cater for vegetarians if required just let us know when booking. LIVE MUSIC Adults £18 Children Under 12 £9 Please phone 01852 300022 or email info@pufferbar.com

There will be what are locally termed late ferries back to the mainland (300m away)

Sunday 6th May 2011
A cruise around local islands with a suggested route to include
The Gulf of Corryvreckan (home of the World’s Third Largest Whirlpool) and The Garvellach Islands. Alternatives will be suggested.
For those needing to recover boats - HW 1854 – 4.1m

Monday 7th May 2011
For those wishing to stay we would be happy to suggest a suitable route for a cruise.

Further information and registration log onto Easdale RIB Rendezvous | Rib Adventure weekend in the west coast of Scotland
Old 11 January 2012, 21:14   #3
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
hi tony

added link and cc. your post on club forum, we will be hosting the 5th open cruise at end of June at Elie in fife,

more details will follow in new thread.

regards

Scott
Old 14 January 2012, 16:56   #4

Scott
Thanks for the advertising. Are you coming through?

Tony
Old 14 January 2012, 18:32   #5

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
Sounds like it will be as good as last year Tony

Some pics of Salen Jetty new pontoons I took yesterday Friday 13th . Nothing unlucky about the weather yesterday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	64920   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	64921   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	64922   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	64923  
Old 14 January 2012, 18:41   #6

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
A few more pics

Plenty of room between the fingers of the pontoon to raft up and lots of visitor moorings also . Only a 10 min walk to the hotel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	64924   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	64925   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	64926  
Old 15 January 2012, 11:00   #7

Town: Kinross
Boat name: Spindrift
Make: Zodiac Futura FR Mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20hp two stroke Yam
The facilities at Salen look great. This work has been long overdue. Is the jetty under new ownership now?
Old 18 January 2012, 18:45   #8

Salen Jetty

Geoff - Thanks for the pics, looks good. Boats should not confuse Salen - Loch Sunart with Salen - Mull
Pics and facilities are Salen LOCH SUNART

Zodiac Spindrift
The pontoons were put in late last year. Mark and Jan run the jetty and they along with the Hotel are making things very easy for the Rendezvous and I am sure this will be the case for RIBs throughout the seasons.

Tony
Old 18 January 2012, 21:04   #9
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hill
Scott
Thanks for the advertising. Are you coming through?

Tony
Will see - I only got a small 5.5 metre rib bombard DB with a 50 HP, so feel like a poor relative!

Boats a great training boat and fun boat...cruising speed 20knots in good weather...

RYA Powerboat Scotland is looking to talk to you !

S.
Old 19 January 2012, 06:17   #10

Scott
Last year we had 3 x 4m Seariders, a 4.0m Humber Assault so at 5.5m you were in the mid section. One year when its calm I am going to use the wife's 3.4m Humber Seapro with its 10HP. (we live on Easdale Island so everyone has their own boat for personal transport)
RYA Scotland - Jane has all my contact details. Alternatively make contact via Seafari ticket office 01852 300003 or use oban@seafari.co.uk
Old 20 January 2012, 12:45   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hill View Post
Geoff - Thanks for the pics, looks good. Boats should not confuse Salen - Loch Sunart with Salen - Mull
Pics and facilities are Salen LOCH SUNART
Hang on a mo.....

I thought we were going to Sunart? Can you confirm which is the planned destination - my fuel management strategy may change somewhat depending on your answer!
Old 20 January 2012, 16:35   #12

Saturday day Cruise

The intended target is
SALEN Which is half way up LOCH SUNART at position 56 42.7N 005 46.6W

see website Salen Jetty - Salen Bay - Loch Sunart - Ardnamurchan - Argyll - West Scotland

I can see some boats heading out to Ardnamurchan if it is a bright sunny and calm day, As with last year some RIBs will do their own thing. My 'suggestion' and it can only be a suggestion would be to keep to Loch Sunart with its user friendly reception. Once boats start heading for Eigg etc the whole ballgame changes but we need to provide some options for those who want to 'burn even more petrol'on a bright sunny calm West Coast day.We do get them and you know my threat. If its that calm I am going to use the wife's Humber SeaPro 3.4m with 10HP engine for the event.

My calculations would be
Easdale to Salen and then have enough on board incase I fancy a whizz to Ardnamurchan.
Should I go to Ardnamurchan then I will call in Tobermory for a fuel refresh on the way back ready for the second day. If I don't go to Ardnamurchan I will return to Easdale with enough fuel for the second day.

Happy for a phonecall

Tony
Old 22 January 2012, 20:13   #13

Town: Newcastleton
Boat name: GLENNA
Make: Avon searider
Engine: Mariner 25hp
We would love to get involved in somthing like this but as we are new to ribbing (searider 4m not yet ready for the water) I think it would be better if we get to know how our rib "Glenna" handles and how much fuel the 25hp mariner uses per hour.
We have been using a 17'6" Shetland Family Four with a Suzuki DT55 untill a couple of years ago (must get round to selling it one day) so I expect the searider will be a bit more lively so we need to get on one of the loch's and get to know how she handles before going on the open sea. However we would be interested in joining in next year.
Old 22 January 2012, 20:35   #14

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51ROB20
We would love to get involved in somthing like this but as we are new to ribbing (searider 4m not yet ready for the water) I think it would be better if we get to know how our rib "Glenna" handles and how much fuel the 25hp mariner uses per hour.
We have been using a 17'6" Shetland Family Four with a Suzuki DT55 untill a couple of years ago (must get round to selling it one day) so I expect the searider will be a bit more lively so we need to get on one of the loch's and get to know how she handles before going on the open sea. However we would be interested in joining in next year.
I am new to a rib as well and want to go on this trip to gain experience of the others and safety in numbers is what I'm thinking.
Old 22 January 2012, 21:23   #15

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51ROB20 View Post
I'm up for this cruise next year as well looks like a great cruise
Old 22 January 2012, 21:27   #16

Town: Newcastleton
Boat name: GLENNA
Make: Avon searider
Engine: Mariner 25hp
As both my wife and I are disabled I would feel a lot safer getting to know the searider on the top end of Loch Lomond on a calm day as I can tow it up there behind the mtorhome in a couple of hours. We do plan on going up to Port Ban at Kilberry (just up from Tarbert) later in the year so we might take the searider with us as you can launch off the beach on the campsite.
Old 23 January 2012, 09:54   #17

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51ROB20 View Post
If it's any help as a going in guess - my old SR4 / Suz 25 used about 0.8 L / nautical mile if I took it easy at 18-19 Knots, and 0.95 L/ n -mile if I thrashed it @ 21 knots (WOT) for the whole trip.
Old 02 February 2012, 19:50   #18

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Tony
just wondered how the responses have been and if it looks like the same scale as last year which would be great. Destination cruise plans look good and is an excellent week end for people who have never been around these waters to come and sample in company as well as the number of us who know the waters and the general area.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2012, 18:56   #19

Apologies the post has been a bit quiet of late
Farmerrenton who does the website Easdale RIB Rendezvous | Rib Adventure weekend in the west coast of Scotland has moved house and is getting his new business going. The Seafari ticket office opens next week so things should ease.
Things looking promising and I will try and list the RIBnet members coming. The aim as last year is 30+ RIBs. There is an article going in RIB Magazine March issue which should generate more interest.

Will get back up to speed shortly

Tony
Old 05 February 2012, 22:37   #20

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Will see - I only got a small 5.5 metre rib bombard DB with a 50 HP, so feel like a poor relative!

Boats a great training boat and fun boat...cruising speed 20knots in good weather...

RYA Powerboat Scotland is looking to talk to you !

S.
I took a 5.3m from Oban all the way out to Coll once diving, its doable depending on weather. Length just affects how fast you can go!

Except in certain winds the biggest part of the trip within the Sound is pretty sheltered.