Old 23 March 2016, 13:14   #121

Length: 10m +
45 registations to date ! For all those who have registered you should have received some more details today by email - please check your spam folder if it is not in your inbox.

For information - here is the communication :

Hello and thank you for registering for the 2016 Easdale Island Rib Rendezvous !
Please find below some details for this year’s event – we look forward to welcoming quite a few newcomers this year.

Tides are Neaps.
Times are Oban and BST.
Fri 29th April - HW 1039 – 3.0m, LW 1721 – 1.7m
Sat 30th Apr - HW 1151 – 2.8m, LW 1840 – 1.7m
Sun 1st May LW 0737 – 1.7m, HW 1347 – 2.8m, LW 2000 – 1.6m

PLEASE NOTE CHANGES TO COASTGUARD AREAS. Clyde has now closed. All VHF traffic from the northernmost point of Jura (including the Corryvreckan) heading north is now STORNOWAY Coastguard. All VHF traffic from the north tip of Jura southwards is BELFAST Coastguard.

Friday 29th April 2016
For those arriving ‘early’ take a short shakedown cruise to some of the local islands. Meet at Easdale - Postcode PA34 4TB. This postcode takes you to the mainland harbour. RIBs to around 6.5m. Please organise your boat ready to launch before accessing the beach. Once launched do not tie to the ferry slip, use the beach, the pier end wall or better still, head to the harbour at Easdale Island 200m away. A member of the ERR team should be on hand to assist and guide you. Parking is available and you will be directed to the car park allocated.
The Oyster Bar (Telephone 01852 300121). Meals available (1800 – 2100). Please phone to make a reservation.

The Puffer Bar (Telephone 01852 300022) on Easdale Island. Meals available from 1800. Please phone to make a reservation. The Puffer Bar & Restaurant is available for dinner bookings both the Friday & Saturday night. Their menu features the finest local shellfish & seafood as well as great home cooked dishes prepared with a variety of local produce from Argyll and home-made desserts. To book please phone 01852 300022 or email the.puffer@btconnect.com

Booking is advised at both. Please consider bestowing your presence in one establishment on one night and the other establishment the other night as both The Oyster and The Puffer are worth a visit !

Saturday 30th April 2016
Day Cruise to/around Oronsay/Colonsay - Early morning launching for those not able to arrive Friday:
0612 1.7m
1151 2.8m
1840 1.7m
0056 3.0m

You can launch from Cuan around 1 hour either side of HW, however please be organised as the tides aren't great. So, get your boat and yourselves ready before taking your vehicle onto the slip.

For those wishing to cruise in company and in the interests of safety we are suggesting RIBs should be grouped (min 3 RIBs) prior to departure.
CHANGE TO VHF SAFETY PROCEDURE – The Seafari Office no longer listens in on Channel 77 or 16. We suggest the following – the Seafari cabin RIB will be listening in to both Channel 16 and 77. Participants wishing to check in/out should do so with Stornoway Coastguard who have been informed of the change. If you need assistance just shout on Channel 77 and hopefully someone on ERR will hear you. You can always telephone Seafari Ticket Office 01852 300003 and they will contact our boats.
Subject to weather, the intention is to head south west from Easdale down sound of Luing, through the Corryvreckan and across to Oronsay. Some may stop in Scalasaig Colonsay for a coffee. Certainly some will complete a circumnavigation of Oronsay and Colonsay, others may swap this for the attractions of the Hotels, coffee shops and whisky distilleries of the Sound of Islay. Always keen to set a challenge, this year it’s another navigational around the southern tip of Oronsay to the bay overlooked by the Priory. Get the chart out – Mind those rocks..
Oronsay should have been part of the original ERR. The island is an RSPB reserve so take care not to disturb the wildlife. The beaches are stunning, you could be in the Caribbean except the water is colder. There is the Priory and all its stone carvings. Need a treat to take home – buy a jar of Colonsay honey.
For further information on Colonsay and Oronsay check out Welcome to the Isle of Colonsay website
Oronsay features under things to do but to avoid the confusion we outsiders refer to Oronsay. The locals prefer Oransay. Either does. This site is full of information.
Choices for ‘supplies and sustenance’ Scalasaig and The Colonsay Hotel, The Pantry café and fuel –or continue south keeping Jura to your left, halfway down the Sound of Islay Port Askaig is on your right. Again food, shop, fuel. A circumnavigation is around 60 miles so plenty of fuel and a spare can.

Evening :
The Oyster Bar (Telephone 01852 300121). Meals available (1800 – 2100). Please phone to make a reservation.
The Puffer Bar (Telephone 01852 300022) on Easdale Island. Meals available from 1800. Please phone to make a reservation. There will also be a BBQ (18:00hrs – 20:00hrs) just outside the bar offering Wild Venison Burgers at £6 each.

Booking is advised at both. Please consider bestowing your presence in one establishment on one night and the other establishment the other night as both The Oyster and The Puffer are worth a visit !

Sunday 1st May 2016
A more relaxed day. A short crossing to Loch Buie on Mull with a landing here possible then on to Carsaig, the old herring port.
For the geologist in you visit Carsaig Arches. An approach by boat eliminates a 3 mile difficult walk. For the romantic in you Loch Buie and Carsaig were the setting for the classic 1950’s Michael Powell film “I know where I’m going”. On a windy night settle in front of the fire with a bottle of red wine and the DVD.
In the meantime if you have any queries or concerns please contact Carolyn on 01852 300003.
Old 05 April 2016, 22:01   #122

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Jeff, we are also coming (in a Diddy wee boat).
There may be a rib on offer for the weekend.... if you trust it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hill View Post
Carolyn has informed me that registrations for this year's event currently stands at 45.

Might be about to drop to 44.....

Slow moving solicitors we had hoped to be moved and I could make it, but no, looks like we are actually going to be moving on the weekend of the 1st.....

Weird thing is I never bought a t-shirt this year, which is usually what seems to curse my availability.....

Not a happy bunny it would be safe to say.
If things move faster than they seem to be at the moment I'll try to get up, even if it is just for a blast in the dinghy & the banter on Saturday evening, but right now I'm not assuming much more than a large van and a lot of stress.
Old 23 April 2016, 13:02   #123

Not long to go now !

52 registrations (not including Alan MacFadyen who has STILL failed to get his registration sorted !). We'll publish an updated weather forecast a few days before.

A couple of things to note - The Oyster Bar website is available on the following link, there is an incorrect link on the Rib Rendezvous website.

Also, harbour dues per night will be £10 - please arrange payment either at the Seafari ticket office or at The Puffer. All monies are in aid of theEasdale Island boat shed renovation. Many thanks.

Looking forward to seeing everyone !

The Oyster Bar & Restaurant Isle of Seil
Old 23 April 2016, 13:21   #124

if anyone is there early let me know, i'm maybe going up wed/thurs.
Old 24 April 2016, 08:40   #125
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Anyone from the Southampton area coming all the way up?
Old 24 April 2016, 17:09   #126
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Anyone from the Southampton area coming all the way up?
Hi Poly.
Yes. We're coming up - from Reading rather than Southampton tho. I have just come back from Southampton today!
Old 24 April 2016, 18:03   #127
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Hi Poly.
Yes. We're coming up - from Reading rather than Southampton tho. I have just come back from Southampton today!
Trevor, ah jumpinjack hopefully has a box to come up to me and I was trying to make life simple... I'm guessing there is nobody else mad enough to drive that way - just for a weekend in the amazing West coast rain?
Old 24 April 2016, 18:16   #128
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Trevor, ah jumpinjack hopefully has a box to come up to me and I was trying to make life simple... I'm guessing there is nobody else mad enough to drive that way - just for a weekend in the amazing West coast rain?
itt wownt fytt yew becoz yor hed iz to fool
Old 24 April 2016, 18:54   #129

anyone know the best forecast to use for easdale way?

the ones i normally use look shockingly bad for next weekend so a better one would be welcome!
Old 24 April 2016, 19:04   #130

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Easdale RIB Rendezvous 2016

You're not the only person to mention it.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Oban

Before someone says it, I know, we aren't going to Oban but...
Old 24 April 2016, 19:31   #131

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
How about this then to be precise

XCWeather - Forecast for Easdale

Honest its the same as Oban
Or this one, take your pick
http://www.metcheck.com/UK/7days.asp...-5.5&findtype=
I really think knowing th eWest coast we will take what turns up on the day and the forecast could change every day.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2016, 19:33   #132

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Oban is my default page, laziness stopped me looking for Easdale.
Old 24 April 2016, 19:57   #133

A week is still miles out for forecasting so all is not lost by any means.
Old 24 April 2016, 20:31   #134

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Engine: Outboard
Easdale weather & first RIB has arrived

Scottish Diver arrived today having been to the Mull Music Festival. The RIB has been parked here for the week. We have a number saying they are likely to arrive early. All welcome.

Now to the weather and the forecast. We obviously watch the weather fairly frequently. If you followed today's trend for next Saturday those up early would have seen swathes of blue in the wind forecast. By lunchtime those friendly blue arrows had changed to yellow and light brown. Earlier this evening it is all green.

It is far too early to tell. The weather here has been unpredictable to say the least. We are expecting a 'squiff' of wind tomorrow afternoon and Tuesday followed by a calm spell. It will all depend if the wind forecast for Sunday comes in early.

For the forecast on Friday for Saturday look at theyr.tv weather forecasting
We find it to be more realistic over 24 hours particularly for wind. Rain we are not too concerned about.

Tony
Old 25 April 2016, 21:41   #135

Town: North East Scotland
Boat name: Redbay 10
Make: Redbay
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin Yam inb 165hp
Arrived early to beat the crowds! Many thanks to Tony for sorting me out a berth.

Day 1 0830 left Peterhead, brunch at lossie arrived sea lock at caley canal at 1330. Made it through to Dochgarroch lock at 1600.

Day 2 0730 departed Inverness and made it to Fort William for 1715 departed sea lock and headed to mull music festival. Much malts consumed...

Day 3 1145 departed Tobermory headed round the top to Staffa, Iona and onto easdale via corryvreckan arrived 1515. Superb late lunch at the puffer where we worked out fuel used for trip so far (mortgage required!)

Looking forward to this weekend hope the weather is as good as last.
Old 25 April 2016, 21:47   #136

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish diver View Post
Arrived early to beat the crowds! Many thanks to Tony for sorting me out a berth.

Day 1 0830 left Peterhead, brunch at lossie arrived sea lock at caley canal at 1330. Made it through to Dochgarroch lock at 1600.

Day 2 0730 departed Inverness and made it to Fort William for 1715 departed sea lock and headed to mull music festival. Much malts consumed...

Day 3 1145 departed Tobermory headed round the top to Staffa, Iona and onto easdale via corryvreckan arrived 1515. Superb late lunch at the puffer where we worked out fuel used for trip so far (mortgage required!)

Looking forward to this weekend hope the weather is as good as last.
Sounds as if you had a good few days Roddy and it would be well lubricated to ease the pain of your fuel bill
See you at the weekend.
cheers
B
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 10:36   #137

Probably not going to make this unfortunately. Will keep eye on forecast but for now probably safe to take me off list if it matters for an idea of numbers?

Should forecast improve I'll be along
Old 27 April 2016, 10:37   #138

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
OK, long story but the buyer dropped out and so I'm not moving (well, not this weekend!), but due to the fallout I'm now invoking "plan B", which is......

Test the rib on Friday when I get a chance.

If it starts & runs, try to get up on the Saturday evening (worst case wake the sparows Sunday mrorning!) and join you for Buie / wherever the weather takes us.

If it coughs & dies (or just refuses to start!) I'll throw the Sib into the boot and hook up with whoever is doing something sib-abble on Sunday, unless I can scrounge a lift for a fuel donation.

Anyone coming want a set of Lowrance Blue NMEA 2K cables? if so I'll throw them in.
Old 28 April 2016, 13:32   #139

Town: Stirlingshire
Boat name: To be named
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 130 Hp petrol
Whether report

Hi all. Anyone got uptodate wether report for this weekend? Boat finally ready. Hope it's still a good turn out. Mind don't underdress and you'll be fine.
Old 28 April 2016, 13:33   #140

Town: Stirlingshire
Boat name: To be named
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 130 Hp petrol
Ralph?

Tags
rib