Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We'll be in Barfleur for most of August, it would be good to meet up
Is there a particular campsite you'd recommend in Barfleur Dave?
Old 03 December 2013, 21:11   #43

Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Update and not good news, have to cancel this cruise at least on these days as there are so many organisations / clubs already going and booked that accommodation is scarce to say the least.

Have spoken to tourist offices, hotels, marinas etc and not looking good. Summary below for the chosen dates.

Honfleur Harbour berths Unlikely Accom yes

Ouistreham Marina Yes Accom No (closest 23 miles)

Grandcamp Marina No Accom No (20+ Miles)

Carentan Marina No Accom Nooooo

St Vaast Marina maybe Accom No (1.2 miles - 2 rooms)

Cherbourg Marina Possible Accom Maybe (1.7 miles - 5 rooms) But rooms in hotels going fast

Overall consensus 'you must be barking mate' or the French equivalent

Dont fancy Le Havre or day trips out from a harbour - sort of defeats the objective. Really need to be going to the places of interest and staying the night.

Tourist office - "Busiest time of the year and this is a big anniversary". Camping maybe or camp on boat. Both I don't really fancy especially if its wet.

This has to be easy to organise because if we have to cancel due to weather it needs to be easy to reschedule.

Looks like a rethink on the whole trip so at the moment it's a no go
Old 04 December 2013, 07:44   #44

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Bit of a Bugger Mate,but I know what its like sorting a one or two nights Cruise/stopover...... HERE!
So appreciate the effort Nigel
Worth mentioning Camping??.. Seems a bit 'Wimpy' not to.. in light of the Venue and anniversary.......

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2013, 11:18   #45
Rop

Boat name: Blacktip
Make: Osprey
Engine: Outboard
Bugger indeed...
Bad news Nigel, allready though this might get difficult...

Allready thought of "base camp" for us when joining in, driving to Ouistreham, lauch boat and settle down @ campingground across the channel (just over a mile by road, click here), where trailer and maybe family who do not want to go out in the boat can be left behind for a couple of days of holiday, a lot of things to see from shore as well, Caen itself is nice! They rent cabins as well.

Allthough I checked this to use this as base camp and join in with the UK gang, and return @basecamp a couple of days later, it could be used as camp for daytrips. All destinations, with exeption of Cherbourg can be easily reached with daytrips, Isigny sur Mer is a just under 100mile trip there and back, no need to spend time in a big industrial environment (le Havre).

Allthough I partly agree with "sort of defeats the objective", this is the best alternative I could come up with... If daytrips are a no-go things unfortunally don't look good , I appreciate the effort made Nigel

Does a reschedule make things any better or is this area difficult the entire season?
Old 14 December 2013, 22:40   #46

Might have some good news - will update over the next few days but might still be on although reverting to camping.

Have a number of Dutch boats wanting to join us and some more RIBs from Belgium so it would be rude not to make this happen....

I may be going to France with Ian M and one mystery member - on the 2nd January to visit a couple of places to ensure we can book somewhere. The place we have in mind does not take bookings until January hence going in person to book !

If your still interested in joining in shout up but it may be camping and basing ourselves from one port for the 4 nights. More info to follow
Old 14 December 2013, 23:09   #47

Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
Might have some good news - will update over the next few days but might still be on although reverting to camping.

Have a number of Dutch boats wanting to join us and some more RIBs from Belgium so it would be rude not to make this happen....

I may be going to France with Ian M and one mystery member - on the 2nd January to visit a couple of places to ensure we can book somewhere. The place we have in mind does not take bookings until January hence going in person to book !

If your still interested in joining in shout up but it may be camping and basing ourselves from one port for the 4 nights. More info to follow
Is there any mileage in a two harbour stop - with day runs out to places of interest? The most historic part of the Normandy beaches probably lies between Isigney and Honfleur. So what about a stop in Deauville for three nights and then one night in St Vaast? Although they are both lock in situations Deauville's new outer harbour can take boats through a large part of the tide. I would possibly bring the Protector, staying on board being the option.
Old 14 December 2013, 23:18   #48

Unfortunately it comes down to accommodation - those with cabin RIBs have it sorted. No accommodation available in the popular stop overs hence a base in Ouistreham and day trips out from there.
Old 14 December 2013, 23:23   #49

RIBase
Further to this - from Deauville there are many short hops to do if the weather suddenly looks iffy. Honfleur, Le Havre, Ouisterham (Pegasus Bridge etc) are all reasonably nearby - and a cruise up the Seine is a possibility. I have stayed in Deauville many times and it has certain advantages. If the weather really goes bad you can park boats safely and take ferries home if it becomes necessary. (I have had to do that in the past!) I have also hired very good scooters there and taken off by road to see the sights in the past. I know that sounds extreme but contingency is always nice to have!! Further to that I would personally leave Cherbourg as last option on the list - its easy to do any time but a good place to go if the weather looks bad / tech problems / refuel on the return. Do not mean to interfere - only throwing some ideas in the pot towards an event that is surely a great idea.
Old 14 December 2013, 23:29   #50

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
Unfortunately it comes down to accommodation - those with cabin RIBs have it sorted. No accommodation available in the popular stop overs hence a base in Ouistreham and day trips out from there.
Think Ouisterham is a great place always - and very near Pegasus and the West Beaches. Landlord do you know if they allow RIBs up the canals into Caen? Another idea could be to contact the local yacht club in Ouisterham. They are just inside the lock on the left past the big lighthouse as you go in. They are a very friendly lot in there and always give the Brit boaters a good welcome. Plus they have quite a big park / garden area. They may let us pitch some tents / use the shower facilities etc.
Old 17 December 2013, 20:43   #51

Cruise looks like it might still be on

We're now looking at staying at one port and using it as a base. Cruising each day to one of the other ports and then returning to the base camp in the evening for a quiet libation and a natter

The chosen port is Ouistreham and it looks like the only available accommodation is camping. The good news is that the campsite will not take booking until the 2nd January 2014 for the time we are interested in. Therefore there are no bookings at the current time, so it will be first to book will get a camping pitch. They do have 372 pitches so we stand a good chance of getting in.

I will be calling the campsite on Thursday 2nd January 2014 to book some camping spaces. The camp site is http://www.camping-p...s-ouistreham.fr

We will be planning to arrive on Wednesday 4th June 2014 and leave on Sunday 8th June.

There are a number of RIBs wanting to come from Holland, Belgium plus the RIBs from the UK. Therefore if your interested let me know. I will speak to the Camp site again tomorrow and ask about deposits etc.
Old 29 December 2013, 19:44   #52

Quick reminder if anyone is interested in crossing over to France for the D Day beaches in June, the only accommodation that may still be available is the Camping in Quistreham. Bookings for pitches will only be accepted from Thursday this week for June.
Old 07 January 2014, 21:32   #53

Latest update....

Finally on Friday, got through to the campsite who had already filled most of the pitches. It also transpired that there was only one shower block for over 400 pitches so not ideal. Therefore I have knocked on the head the idea of going to the D Day Beaches on the proposed original dates.

However the weekend of the 11/12/13th July is possible. Therefore I propose the following;

Depart Solent early Friday 11th July and head over to Ouistreham. Book into the marina and then take a short taxi to Pegasus Bridge. Return to Ouistreham and stay the night in the hotel L'Ecailler which is opposite the marina. They currently have 6 rooms left, IanM and myself have already booked 2 rooms. L'Ecailler , Ouistreham, France - 7 Guest reviews . Book your hotel now! - Booking.com

Saturday depart Ouistreham and head round to Mulberry Harbour. Short stop in the middle for photos before heading round to Carentan (depending on time) or straight to Cherbourg. Hotel Chanteryne in the marina is available and has good availability at the moment. Again we've already booked 2 rooms.Hotel Chantereyne , Cherbourg, France - 254 Guest reviews . Book your hotel now! - Booking.com

Both hotels are offering no booking charge until arrival and free cancelation so if we have to cancel we don't loose any money. Both hotels have been booked through Booking.com

Therefore to summarise

Friday 11th July 2014 - Stay in Ouistreham

Saturday 12th July 2014 - stay in Cherbourg

Sunday 13th July 2014 - leisurely return to the Solent

Hopefully as this is now planned for July we stand a reasonable chance of some settled weather with the option of cancelling nearer the time if the weather changes and not loosing any money
Old 10 January 2014, 06:20   #54

Hotels are filling quickly in Quistreham. If anyone is possibly going the hotels are free cancelation and pay on the day, you need to book ASAP.

Confirmed so far,

Landlord +Mrs L
Ian M
Mike Whitham + 2
Hightower
Old 10 January 2014, 07:35   #55

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I'll look at this nearer the date. All being well I'm in and er in doors
Old 11 January 2014, 17:02   #56
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
I'm hoping I can make this one - it might replace our (almost) annual Alderney run this year.
I'll be sleeping aboard the Shearwater so no hotel or campsite bookings needed!
Trev
Old 11 January 2014, 17:37   #57

I've been talked into this one as well. If we have a few days like today it will be stunning. I'm fully committed to doing some better cruising than of later years. People might look at a channel crossing as daunting but it's not. Someone long ago explained it to me in a simple way. He ask how many hours is on you're boat I answered about 500 then. He ask if I'd ever broken down in that time. No. He said so even at cruising speed you've done over 12000 miles another 100 won't hurt. A night trip in company might be nice as well. Anyone?
Old 11 January 2014, 21:30   #58

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I'd like to do an overnight crossing biff, we'll dust off magellan echo for that this spring / summer er?
Old 11 January 2014, 21:34   #59

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
The new d day cruise dates are close to the PBR round britan, which although not committed yet I am hoping to do. If that doesn't work out I'd love to join this trip.
Old 11 January 2014, 21:54   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
The new d day cruise dates are close to the PBR round britan, which although not committed yet I am hoping to do. If that doesn't work out I'd love to join this trip.
Quick trip across the channel will make a good shake down run for your boat

Tags
rib