Click Here to Login

Old 25 November 2013, 10:38   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
Cruise from Poole, where would you go?

So, last night I was watching the Dimbleby programme where he sails around the UK. He was heading through the Solent and it got me thinking that a mini cruise looks like fun. I am going to book a week off work, book a nice week of sunshine and light winds and go for a cruise for a week.

I will leave from Poole, and have Sat- Sat in my 6m Ribeye with a 70ltr fuel tank. I want to go coast hopping, and visit some interesting places both ashore and on the water. The Solent seems a likely trip, however maybe West is best. I was thinking 5 days in one direction taking my time, giving me 1-2 to days to speed back.

Where would you go, and which direction. Tips for places to visit/stay. If the weather is good, I could be tempted to kip on the boat for one or 2 nights, but B&B's are likely to be the order of the day.

Cheers, Andy
Old 25 November 2013, 12:04   #2
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjcox1 View Post
So, last night I was watching the Dimbleby programme where he sails around the UK. He was heading through the Solent and it got me thinking that a mini cruise looks like fun. I am going to book a week off work, book a nice week of sunshine and light winds and go for a cruise for a week.

I will leave from Poole, and have Sat- Sat in my 6m Ribeye with a 70ltr fuel tank. I want to go coast hopping, and visit some interesting places both ashore and on the water. The Solent seems a likely trip, however maybe West is best. I was thinking 5 days in one direction taking my time, giving me 1-2 to days to speed back.

Where would you go, and which direction. Tips for places to visit/stay. If the weather is good, I could be tempted to kip on the boat for one or 2 nights, but B&B's are likely to be the order of the day.

Cheers, Andy
Avocet did a fantastic trip from Poole to the Scillies summer just gone. You would have to guarantee a good weather window and carry some portable fuel tanks. If thats to much you could always break the trip down there are plenty of bolt holes.

I have done day trips from Poole - Lulworth Cove, Durdle Dore and Weymouth. Depending on how big/small you want your driving legs. You can stop at Weymouth overnight. From Weymouth round Portland to West bay again mooring available. Westbay to Brixham/Dartmouth. Dartmouth to Plymouth, Plymouth to Fowey, Fowey to Falmouth, Falmouth to Penzance, Penzance to Scillies.

Think your limiting factor after the weather would be availability of fuel. Not sure which of those places above have fuel available but definitely go West.
Old 25 November 2013, 12:24   #3

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
I would really be up for a similar trip as soon as the weather warms up a bit (whenever that is).

Even a long weekend trip would be good.

I was also looking at popping over to France or the Channel Islands as well as up/down the coast. Im partial to biviying on the RIB / beach as well just to make it more of an adventure.

Any suggestions would be great.

(I also need to find out how far I can go on a tank of fuel)
Old 25 November 2013, 13:00   #4

Town: New Milton
Boat name: No Name
Make: Quick Silver
Length: 3m +
Engine: 5hp
You could move your boat (by sea) to Lymington for a week.
We pay about £80 to keep our Rib on the Harbour Masters pontoon (near to the slipway) for a week, you could then use a car to travel to Lymington each day and explore all the Solent plus a visit to the south side of the IOW to Ventor, you could also consider a couple of nights B&B if required. The main advantage is that you can boat in most conditions.
Old 25 November 2013, 21:04   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
I would get a copy of West Country Cruising by Mark Fishwick and head west without too many firm plans.

Book a B&B in Weymouth for your first night and see how it goes. If the tides are looking good you could visit West Bay, Lyme Regis, Exmouth or Teignmouth. Or you could go straight across Lyme Bay to Torquay, or Brixham, or Dartmouth. Then there's Salcombe, Newton Ferrers, Plymouth. Then if you head on further into Cornwall there's Looe, Fowey, Mevagissey, St Mawes, Falmouth, Helford, Penzance, Mousehole.
Old 14 May 2014, 12:48   #6

Hi, so summer is getting closer and I really wanted to do a few longer cruises this year. First on the list is a weekend to Cherbourg from Poole.

As free time is a factor, I would leave early on sat and return on the Sunday, staying in a B&B overnight

Is there anyone who fancies this also, as I would much prefer to go in company. I have a 6m ribeye and usually cruise at about 23-25 knots to maximise range.

I am flexible on dates in July/August/sept but would limit my first trip to a good weather window of F4/5 or less.

Anyone fancy it?

Andy
Old 15 May 2014, 21:07   #7

Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Cruise from Poole, where would you go?

Hi Andy. I would fancy this, would depend on dates etc. Avocet could be a possible and has done this before so knows the ropes. You might end up with a flotilla if enough get to hear about it as the RIBNET gang do like a cruise!
Old 15 May 2014, 21:40   #8

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:

Cheers, Andy
Hi all

You are able to get fuel from Torquay, you may need to call them before arrival though
Old 16 May 2014, 14:37   #9

Hi oscarguitar, it would be great to go with you and possibly avocet, and anyone else who fancies the trip.

I had planned to go on the DDay cruise on July 11-13, but I can't go on the Friday. Would that weekend be any good, i.e. Go over on sat 12 July and come back Sunday 13th July?

If not, just let me know dates you can potentially do and I am sure we can get something sorted out.

Cheers, Andy
Old 16 May 2014, 14:48   #10

Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
I'm seeing Avocet tomorrow. I'll see if we can come up with a date and get back to you.
Old 28 May 2014, 02:03   #11

Exmouth harbour also do fuel now, as do dartmouth and Salcombe