Cowes fireworks - speed limit
Thre will be a speed limit in operation tonight.
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN jointly by the Queen’s Harbour Master Portsmouth, Harbour Master Southampton and Harbour Master Cowes that a speed limit of 15 knots will be temporarily introduced in the Solent and Southampton Water to ensure safety of navigation for the Cowes Firework display on Friday 4th August 2006.
2. The 15-knot speed limit will be in force between 2130 and 2300 on Friday 4th August 2006.
3. Mariners are advised that this measure has been introduced to reduce the risk of collision between the many hundreds of small craft, which gather to view the fireworks display. In previous years collisions have occurred, particularly after the event, which has resulted in serious personal injury to passengers and crews of small craft.
4. Mariners are reminded of the importance of displaying the correct navigation lights, maintaining a good lookout at all times in all directions, and proceeding at a speed consistent with safe navigation, particularly at the conclusion of the display as spectator craft get underway and return to their home ports.
5. This notice will be self cancelling on 5th August 2006.