Old 19 November 2008, 12:58   #41

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Hmmmm sounds like there's a few of us going to be having a remarkably similar Friday.....
Old 19 November 2008, 21:34   #42

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon SR4.0
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Good news - Renfrew Ferry slipway

Did bit of running about today re the above:

Able to launch from south side no problem - chaps in control room even told me where to park under CCTV/control room window. Just have to deal with SPT's "Risk Assessment" and show them my insurance docs (just got new policy from Porthcawl - £117 fully comp ).

Has anyone used the new "Plantation Quay" yet? Seems it has "secure" key-coded access etc. - free to use too.

Right - now to the lights . . .
Old 19 November 2008, 21:41   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperbob View Post
Did bit of running about today re the above:

Able to launch from south side no problem - chaps in control room even told me where to park under CCTV/control room window. Just have to deal with SPT's "Risk Assessment" and show them my insurance docs (just got new policy from Porthcawl - £117 fully comp ).

Has anyone used the new "Plantation Quay" yet? Seems it has "secure" key-coded access etc. - free to use too.

Right - now to the lights . . .
well done... glad you discovered the insurance issue as I don't normally carry the cert with me. any idea what we need to do for the SPT Risk Assessment?
Old 19 November 2008, 21:55   #44

From what the chaps at the slipway said - you're basically taken through the specific risks of launching at the ferry slipway and told "you're liable if it all goes brown n squidgy. . ."
Should get the details tomorrow from the Ops Manager - will let you know, Pol'. Was also told that they hold the ferry at the north side to give you plenty room to launch.

(And that, in the past, all you did was slip the chaps a fiver and they opened the gates to let you launch/recover. . .ah the good old days!)
Old 20 November 2008, 20:33   #45

Renfrew Ferry - the saga continues

Okay, here goes. . .

Finally got hold of the Operations Officer, and to use the slipway, they need proof of liability insurance, covering letter detailing purpose of usage (ie leisure or business, dates, times etc) as well as a risk assessment (carried out by the potential user) AND possible payment, but he couldn't tell me what that would be until the documentation was passed to SPT's legal department (got impression though that it would be nominal if anything).
Anyway, am now the New Best Friend of the chaps who operate the ferry and slipway and will be working on the risk assessment over the weekend having picked their brains to pulp Will send you a copy Pol', and anyone else who may need one in the future. . .
Suspect it will be rather easier in the long run once all this is done. I hope.

Now - back to the new lights
Old 22 November 2008, 11:25   #46

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
29th Nov

Had a look at Crowne Plaza and the pontoon yesterday when in Glasgow. I have talked to the various folk and should have a menu and official permission on Monday.
At the moment the plan is to toodle upriver from the various places and meet at the SECC pontoon around 3pm.
Have a bite to eat and a natter at the crown Plaza (pontoon entrance is right across road from bistro and in good sight)
Potter up to look at the lights around 4ish and then back downriver.
Full details and plan will follow early in the week once we have decided where we are launching ourselves, looking for somewhere slightly futher upriver from Dunoon on the north bank at the moment.
Old 22 November 2008, 21:21   #47

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
All going to plan with the exhaust we should be launching from the slip next to Fergusons, probably put the boat in early and have a muck about before joining the convoy up the river

Graeme
Old 22 November 2008, 21:38   #48

I'll post the menu when I have it, rough numbers by friday will be needed to let Crowne Plaza know how many need to be seated as I intend to be seated if possible at the window overlooking the pontoon entrance.
Old 23 November 2008, 19:58   #49

Recovery at Renfrew Ferry

Spoke to the Supervisor this afternoon, anyone launching/recovering using the Ferry slipway will need to be back by not much later than 1700 due to low tide and an otherwise hidden step on the slipway itself that would prevent getting the trailers into the river to recover

However, with distance being what it is from Renfrew to the city centre, I won't need an large supplementary fuel tank - but really appreciate all of the kind offers of help
Old 23 November 2008, 20:05   #50

That may be bad news as the tides are later that day than I was led to believe. The meet times are likely to be pushed an hour later than earlier plans to make sure LW is near when we come back downriver.
Old 23 November 2008, 23:21   #51

Will it not depend slightly on what the wind has been doing for the previous couple of days? If it's been "Wind with river" then presumably a lot of the reason for timing it like that will have been blown out to sea?

Anyhow, its a good news / bad news ref. the Rib at the moment. Everything works, but only up to about 1/3 throttle where it turns the bottom cylinder into a giant piston fuel pump! - I am going to have to dismantle the bottom carb, and am really hoping it's as simple as bending the float arm a bit to make sure the valve closes. If I need a new float or valve needle I'll probably have to ask if anyone needs a crew unless someone has one in stock On the plus side, at least I know the fuel pump is OK!

Tomorrow's fun (once I thaw my brain out!) is to figure out if i can get the carbs out without dismantling half the engine ..... I knew there was a reason I liked the old Yam!
Old 24 November 2008, 00:03   #52
RIBnet admin team

Bruce - where are you most worried about the debris in the river - IIRC you were hoping that by going at low tide it would all be left on land. If I am reading the tide table right (and it is late) then there is an hour difference roughly between glasgow and greenock. If you leave glasgow at Low tide will the flotsam not be washing back off when you get to greenock?
Old 24 November 2008, 11:26   #53

Quote:
anyone launching/recovering using the Ferry slipway will need to be back by not much later than 1700 due to low tide and an otherwise hidden step on the slipway itself that would prevent getting the trailers into the river to recover
The thought has crossed my mind that other potential launch points may be killed off by that problem too.... Helensburgh pier for example becomes "weed central" at low tide..... and it's going to be "properly low" on Sat.......
Old 24 November 2008, 17:44   #54

The tide times on Easytide are
Glasgow LW 19:26
Greenock LW 18:41
I also need to be recovering on a slip that is very weedy and hard to use at LW. Ideally the best time to come back downriver will be around 18:30 to allow recovery at around 19:45 when there is a bit more water. And I will still probably need a rope, in the dark!
Old 24 November 2008, 21:22   #55

I did toy momentarily with some kind of lighting bar that could be fixed to a roof bar & run off the sidelights pins of the tow socket. But as I still need to fit nav. lights it isn't likely going to happen this side of the cruise!

On the plus side, got the carbs off, and (cue sigh of relief) all that was needed was a slight bend to the float lever. Floats now sit equally high, and it holds a continuous bulb pump for >10 mins (which it certianly didn't do yesterday). By'eck that engine wasn't designed for ease of servicing......

So, tomorrow is the Nav lights, and I'm planning on taking a day off for a test spin (going by current forecast more likely Friday) so if anyone is out I may see you.....
Old 24 November 2008, 21:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I did toy momentarily with some kind of lighting bar that could be fixed to a roof bar & run off the sidelights pins of the tow socket.
Now THAT'S an impressive idea! Would be great for recovering at night on the beach over at Kilberry Picked up a 5 million candle power torch from Homebase sale last weekend - be perfect for the RIB if it didn't get hot enough to weld an A frame after 15 seconds. . .
Old 24 November 2008, 22:36   #57

Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Hope you guys get your gremlins sorted for the run, we should receive our exhaust hose sometime on Thursday, so if anyone is out for a test Cruise Thursday Afternoon / Friday give me a shout and hose arrival permitting we should be able to meet up for a wee blast!!!

Graeme
Old 25 November 2008, 05:13   #58

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Okay, here goes. . .

as well as a risk assessment (carried out by the potential user) AND possible payment, but he couldn't tell me what that would be until the documentation was passed to SPT's legal department (got impression though that it would be nominal if anything).
I think thats City council speak for 'bung me a tenner and its yours all day'
Old 25 November 2008, 07:46   #59
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I think thats City council speak for 'bung me a tenner and its yours all day'
I did wonder if we turned up with Santa hats on and bearing "gifts" if they would join the christmas spirit and let us use it without the paperwork!
Old 25 November 2008, 14:27   #60

Thumper,
Had a quick look at Halfords' website - they have "no name" Fog lights for £20 a pair. I have a bit of 2x1 & enough electrical string in the house to wire them up. This may be an easier job than fitting the nav. lights......

Graeme,
Gremlin (I hope) has been evicted, but Friday most likely at the moment for a test run (work getting in the way of a good time again). Will let you know tomorrow for sure.

Everyone else,
Who is launching where? My two thoughts at the moment are Largs Marina or Helensburgh / Rhu. Largs will burn more fuel, but H'bnurgh will be dark & weedy at low tide. Dark may not be such an issue if there's more than one of us, as those not recovering could also aim car headlights down the slip. (I'm assuming no time to make the "recovery lights")

I did toy with Kip, but to drive there I'd be just as quick going to Largs & motoring upriver and as they are more expensive for L&R than Largs, the cost difference would be negligible, and I'd rather be burning fuel in the rib than in the car towing!