Old 29 July 2008, 22:47   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: Tornados etc
Length: 6m +
Engine: O/B
Clyde Cuise, Glasgow - weekend 2 & 3 August 2008

Anyone Fancy Coming To Glasgow For The Cruise Down the Clyde This Weekend?

We are meeting up at our base at The Tall Ship, Glasgow Harbour. The launch facilities are at the Renfrew Ferry just down the river. We can tow the trailers back to the Tall Ship no problems.

After a few bacon and egg rolls and a cuppa we are heading down to Rothesay on the Isle of Bute with a few places to visit in between. Might even chuck in a few markers and do a bit of racing about at the sunken "Sugar Ship" ;-).

We will have a fuelling up boat for those that might need a top up.

If you need any more info its on RYAS website

http://www.ryascotland.org.uk/powerb...e%20Clyde.aspx
Old 31 July 2008, 21:39   #2

Town: Largs
Boat name: Pinto
Make: Zodiac 4.7 Pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evenrude 40 e-TEC
MMSI: 235055258
Further Details

Hi

Can anyone give a bit more detail on this trip. We are berthed at Largs Marina, and would not want to take it out the water and drive up to Glasgow to then go back down the Clyde on it - and don't fancy leaving as early as we would need to to drive to Largs to then go up the Clyde on it to hook up with everyone. If I knew timings and the route we might join you for part of it. The RYA website was not particularly helpful in providing details.

Ta

Vivienne
Old 31 July 2008, 22:32   #3

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Its been a bit poorly represented this one.. they might be coming past Largs, as there is not much to do further up stream from where the meet is , come on 'sea skills' & 'speedy' fill in some details
Old 01 August 2008, 12:32   #4

Town: South West Scotland
Boat name: Blue Ribbin
Make: Humber
Engine: Mariner 75
DETAILS DETAILS - to be or not to be!

Seaforce gave me some info - they propose launchings North side Renfrew Ferry (no time given), checked it out yesterday and as per other threads, it looks dire.

They helpfully suggest that they will pull trailers to Tall ship base - thing is the locals may be more interested in the tow vehicles tho.

Very keen to do something but facilities are non existant on upper reaches - an believe me i've looked (private slip at paisley river near Normandy Hotel wouldnt even let us past the gate, Sandy Point Marina Dumbarton also).

Desperately awaiting developments, as have not been out this year!
Old 01 August 2008, 13:31   #5

Perhaps I can clarify things a bit. I'm Greg btw...

The cruise is one of Powerboat Scotland events.

http://www.ryascotland.org.uk/powerb...powerboat.aspx

How it is organised is that you go onto the RYA Scotland website and click on the Powerboat Scotland link and download the forms , fill them in and send them in, then all the details are sent out to you.

Since its happening tomorrow I can put the details on here. We are launching at the Renfrew Ferry North side slipway. The best thing is to meet up at the Tall Ship at 9.30. We launch our boats regularly at the Renfrew Ferry slipway, it is a commercial slipway and is wide and can be used at all times other than the exceptionally low tide.

I have a 4wd on stand by to launch the boats to save anyone getting their cars wet if required , then we can tow anyones trailers up to the Tall Ship where they will be kept inside the perimiter which has 24 hour security and there will be staff there all day and night.

If anyone has no one to drive the cars back for them we can easily give them a lift to collect the cars, its only about a 5-7 minute drive from our place.

No one will need to leave cars or trailers anywhere that is not secure.

We are planning to have a run to Rothesay weather permitting with a stop off at Killcreggan for lunch.

The weather has been really iffy the past few days so what I suggest is that we all meet up and have a cuppa and a chat and make a joint descision as to what is practical weather wise. I have plenty helpers on duty to help anyone out with anything that they need.

We have plenty berthing facilities at The Tall Ship, ok we might need to raft up but the facilities are great. We have a license to use the River at planing speeds so we don't have to hang about. The run up the Clyde is nice now with so much development going on.

If anyone has any questions please give me a ring on 0141 221 1070, our phone is diverted to the mobile outside office hours so even if you call late thats fine.
Old 01 August 2008, 13:39   #6

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Why do you need a licence? I thought research into speed limits was that there were none on the Clyde?
My understanding is that it is just "speeds giving due consideration to other users" which if there is nobody about is Warp factor 6?
Old 01 August 2008, 15:31   #7

Secure Parking etc

Greg

That sounds like a plan!

I should be up for it - almost regardless of the weather, so desperate to get out.

Your assistance with launching etc appreciated - will visit link and have a look at the form.
Old 01 August 2008, 17:53   #8

BruceB

It is because we are a commercial organisation that we require a license which is renewed annually.

There are still speed limits in force on the Clyde going back to the busy days of big shipping. The speed limits are very much in force for shipping and there is a Clyde Leisure users booklet which indicates all the no wash areas, common sense stuff, like active pontoons and the like. The way it is viewed is that as long as everyone keeps it safe it is fine.

It is still the case that if you want to navigate from Buoy No1 to Glasgow Harbour for example you have to get permission from Estuary Control this is the case for commercial and private users. Most private users don't bother and the harbour master wants to encourage pleasure use so it gets let go.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that you guys probably know about the new seaplane service in the city centre, well it lands right outside our base at the Tall Ship and is in and out several times a day.

You probably all know this but when he is in the air we have right of way and he will not land if we are on the water, the minute his sponsons touch the water hes a vessel, same rules as us.
Old 01 August 2008, 18:00   #9

Hi chewitson to be honest , were going out even if its rotten with rain, I really fancy a run for fun its something I rarely get to do and the lads at work need a break as well.
Old 01 August 2008, 18:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

The other thing I wanted to mention is that you guys probably know about the new seaplane service in the city centre, well it lands right outside our base at the Tall Ship and is in and out several times a day.
He flys over my house three times a day to land in the bay, so low you could probably hit it with a well aimed rock.
Old 01 August 2008, 18:12   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I did my level 2 with greg at seaforce. He is probably much better set up than people realise - as before I went there I had never noticed the pontoon etc at the tall ship. there is also plenty of parking at his site - although I suspect you are all doing yoker a disservice you make it sound like bandit country - either that or you are driving far too fancy a car.

I would have been interested in tagging along (although not sure if my little plastic boat would be fast enought) but unfortunately I have other plans for part of the day.

Speedy - perhaps next time more info sooner might be worthwile - two days is vague, no idea of timings and proposed destinations, ranges, speeds, etc means noone is quite sure what they are applying to get involved with.
Old 01 August 2008, 19:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
although I suspect you are all doing yoker a disservice you make it sound like bandit country
How can you do an area like Yoker a disservice making it sound like bandit country?
Just making it "SOUND" like bandit country is a major improvement on "CALLING" calling it the bandit country that it actually is...............
And I am someone who lived in Glasgow most of my days, not Bearsden and the suburbs but Glasgow itself.............
Old 01 August 2008, 21:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
How can you do an area like Yoker a disservice making it sound like bandit country?
Just making it "SOUND" like bandit country is a major improvement on "CALLING" calling it the bandit country that it actually is...............
And I am someone who lived in Glasgow most of my days, not Bearsden and the suburbs but Glasgow itself.............
Yup .. I wouldny go there without a shotgun.. and I did live in Bearsden at one time go on... pronounce that... the rest of you on this forum

Anyway.. what are you saying Polwart .. if you drive a decent motor you deserve getting your tyres slashed ? thats a codprawn 'esk' remark
Old 01 August 2008, 21:35   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
thats a codprawn 'esk' remark
Oh shit I retract it immediately!
Old 01 August 2008, 22:25   #15

My mother still lives close to the Renfrew side of the Ferry and you couldn't pay me to live there, and thats the "good" side of the ferry crossing!
Bearsden's not so bad to pronounce, Milengavy is better
Old 01 August 2008, 22:35   #16

Quote:
Milengavy is better
Haha .. but spelt Milngavie
Old 01 August 2008, 22:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Haha .. but spelt Milngavie
My mis-spelling was deliberate, honest!
Old 01 August 2008, 22:57   #18

Quote:
My mis-spelling was deliberate, honest!
YIk you were on phonetics .. its a good job were not Aberdonians .. then theyed be fooked

Anyway off topic Ahem sorry .....
Old 06 August 2008, 21:26   #19

Town: Forres
Length: 7m +
So how was the cruise then? Anybody get any good pics?

Stewart
Old 07 August 2008, 11:42   #20

A Grand Day Out

Piccys attached (i hope), sorry if you have to stand screen on end - ribbers'll be used to that!

A real mix of conditions and scenery!

The first of a few trips I hope (well once my Mariner 2 stroke, 2 out of three cylinder prob resolved - OUCH!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kilcreggan Lunch.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	36804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kilcreggan Pier.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	36805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loch Goil - I think.jpg
Views:	584