Closed Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 05:10   #51

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Huge thanks for your support Nautibuoy and RichL. I think it would be a great shame if we had to cancel what was meant to be just a simple day of fun for everyone with the added bonus of raising a small amount of money for a small, local charity. Thanks also to those who have PMed me with ideas of how we might be able to progress. We'll obviously make a decision soon. In the meantime, please continue to post here and let us know what you think - this may well help us decide where we go from here.

Cheers!

Old 26 August 2004, 05:17   #52

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
To be fair Louise I think Paul was drawing together several strands of advice re safety recently. Worth considering for an organised fee paying event.

Richard B recently criticised Alan Priddy quite strongly for putting people in danger with his charity events. However we personally support such events and think you should go ahead.

Us

Old 26 August 2004, 05:19   #53

Didn't think I'd done anything except thank Paul for raising his concerns and agree with him that we needed to think more about that aspect? In what way am I not being fair?

Your reference to Richard's comment is out of context and was on another forum so I don't think it has a place here.
Old 26 August 2004, 05:19   #54

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Has anybody approached BIBOA as they have obviously addressed and resolved the liability question.

Gordon Compton is currently cruising co-ordinator I believe. 07899 790625

Nice people. Could you not persuade them to run it under their auspices, if all else fails...
Old 26 August 2004, 05:20   #55

Good idea Brian. Alan Priddy may also have advice?

Missus
Old 26 August 2004, 05:22   #56

Brian, someone else has already suggested this (via PM) but I need to see what the other co-organisers think before I do anything about it. If we did go down that road, I assume entrants would need to join BIBOA, adding to the expense! Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 26 August 2004, 05:32   #57

We support the idea of this Charity (fee-paying) event 100% and I will be happy to check with colleagues in Hampshire/Porstmouth and So'ton City Councils re: any advice they can give to help.

Us
Old 26 August 2004, 05:33   #58

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Its a problem these days.........

Louise,

Sadly its the same problem with any formalised / organised cruise or event these days. If you and Mr B are organising an event, folk are paying for it even if the proceeds are going to charity then there is a risk, however slight that if someone was injured either on the event or by a boat in the event, then you as the organisers could be sued. The ott example we used to discuss endlessly at BIBOA committee meetings was a RIB hitting a boatload of stockbrokers each earning 250k p.a. who then are injured and off work for a year. 1 mill claim for lost earnings here we come.

IMHO there is a world of difference, legally and liability wise in a bunch of people on rib.net saying "lets meet up on sat on the solent" and someone saying "i am organising an event, pay me x to attend (although for a good cause)". As event organisers you have both a duty of care and a risk of liability if something goes wrong.

You might be able to get liability insurance but suspect costs would make event prohibitive to run. BIBOA's liability insurance for officers and committee (& by extension cruise organisers) is a signficant part of the clubs total spend. Liability was also the reason for changing from a club to a company limited by liability.

OK so having said all that what can you do? Here's some thoughts:

1) Find out what DW do for their poker runs.
2) Goahead anyway and rely on people being sensible and nothing untoward happening.
3) Turn it into an informal cruise with mebbe some sort of charity auction/raffle/quiz at a pub to do the fund raising bit
4) Organise it under the auspices (& liability insurance protection) of a club such as BIBOA (Who I am sure would be happy for this to happen but would insist on skippers being members) or mebbe the Royal Southern YC (See Martin's thread about predicted log)

I agree that its a complete arse & a consequence of the compensation culture/nanny state but you'd be daft not to think seriously about it.

All IMHO/FWIW and the value of my advice might go up and down!

Alan
Old 26 August 2004, 05:34   #59

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
I still want to go.

Two well made points (Paul & Louise). I know I am the new boy here but I took up this sport for the family fun of events like this. Safety at sea should always be the first consideration for everyone who goes out in any boat alone or in a group. I hope the event does take place (the kids are looking forward to it conditions permitting) and as always I am happy to take responsibility for my boat and crew . If there is a problem with this as an “event” for Louise and co then we should just meet up for a day out together. IMHO once an expert has been contacted he will go on the side of caution and we will be doing the paperwork this time next year.

Neal
Old 26 August 2004, 05:35   #60

Very comprehensive advice Alan.

Us