Old 26 July 2003, 14:27   #141

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Charles...

Yes, I too am surprised that you seem to be having high water two hours after we have a low.... but that's what the Almanacs seem to say happens.... (even my year 2000 one!). Probably the shape of the Isle of Wight or something!
Anyway, I am reliably informed that low water in Lymington is 06:13 BST on the Friday morning and it probably won't be possible to launch then.... even if I did get up early enough! Two hours later should be OK. There are other places, but its not just a question of a launch. There is also a need to park the car and trailer where it won't get towed, ticketed, nicked or vandalised. That limits the options. Calshot for example would be a possibility but the office there doesn't open till 08:30, so we can't get parking tickets etc till then. By then Lymington should be OK.

Its no big deal, please don't read too much into this, I just don't want everyone to be ready to go at 7 and then find those of us launching on the Friday morning will be keeping them waiting. Basically from where I'm sitting, 9am is do-able, 7 isn't easily, unless launching is the day before, (and you haven’t got nearly a two hour drive to get there!) But as you say, aiming for 9 means it'll probably be 10. I'm quite happy to aim for 7 if you don't mind me being late!

Mike C

PS... I think you're doing a grand job - really!

PPS Off to work now, so I'll look forward to some repies by tonight!
Old 26 July 2003, 18:53   #142

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Sorry I dont mean to scare anyone or put people off.

I am talking about DEAD LOW WATER approach from SPP to Herm coming up for Aligande it starts getting shalllow unless you take the Creux passage. On a neap no problem but dont worry it was a warning in case somebody got delayed and tried to do the crossing at Low water. We have done it once on a 0.3m at dead low water and have found the rocks that arent charted.

The little russel through to SPP is a shipping channel and there are no worries about water as you will have plenty but if entering SPP at low water stick slightly to the northern side of the entrance as this is deeper Keep you eye out on that side fo a red light which will tell you if a ferry or freighter is leaving the harbour, it will have an orange one flashing next to it when the ship is underway.

You can get on the holding pontoon at any state of tide and if that is full then there is one in Havelet you can use or tie up to a bouy in havelet if you so wish.

I am not trying to frighten people just better to tell people of danger at low water than for something to go wrong by no fault of any one.

I hope to see you all that weekend. Remember to bring your marshmallows and reherse three versus of ging gang gooly before you get there.

Dom
Old 26 July 2003, 19:08   #143

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by DepSol
...bring your marshmallows and reherse three versus of ging gang gooly...
Hey, I'm sure that Charles never mentioned this on the agenda!

LOL Dom, and thanks for the info. Don't worry - not scared... just filing it away in the old cranium for use later. When it comes down to it, we're all responsible for our little ships, so quality information is always valuable.
Old 26 July 2003, 22:49   #144

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Dom, whats SPP ?

We are going to Herm 10 - 16 Aug (not part of this cruise before anyone gets really confused) and I will take some pics of the marks whilst we are there to help out.

Strike that I have just realised its St Peter Port.

Pete
Old 27 July 2003, 08:50   #145

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
Dom, whats SPP ?
St Peter Port, a harbour in Guernsey.

Lee
Old 27 July 2003, 09:08   #146

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by DepSol
Remember to bring your marshmallows and reherse three versus of ging gang gooly before you get there.

Dom
They're obviously smoking some good donkey 'sh*t' in Gsy - what on earth are you on about Dom?

I agree with Richard and anyone else re keeping everyone together. Departure will be at 09:00am, so lets work towards that. The mailshot is going out first thing Monday morning, so hit me with your questions after that-ok?
Cheers
Old 27 July 2003, 09:17   #147

Charles

Obviously boy scouts and camp fires arent a regular happening in SA. Dont blame you tho all those lions and tigers!
Old 27 July 2003, 10:04   #148

Dom,

Re the rocks....

OK, all makes sense thanks. It says 'unexamined' on my chart at that bit! Dutifully noted!

Re the marshmallows.....

I don't want any pink ones! People will get the wrong idea It's bad enough we're going on a CAMPING CRUISE!

Mike
Old 27 July 2003, 10:14   #149

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
At least its not a CAMP CRUISE

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2003, 10:18   #150

You're all frightening me now!

PS. I don't like marshmallows
Old 27 July 2003, 10:31   #151

It's not the marshmallows that worry me, it's what you do with the stick afterwards!
Old 27 July 2003, 20:34   #152

So what sort of speed are you chaps thinking would be good for a cruise in company for all the boats from Lymington ?

Pete
Old 27 July 2003, 22:13   #153

Excellent question Pete, and one that I was wondering about too. Shall we declare our preferedcruising speeds?

I shall declare mine at 23 knots, cos that's what the GPS always says when I look at it having thought....."This is a nice cruising speed" Anything between 20 and 25 would be fine though!

That's in the flat by the way, obviously lower in the rough. In fact if it's really rough I'll be doing 70 knots, in the car, to the pub!

Mike C
Old 27 July 2003, 22:47   #154

Mike, I asked because I might now be free that weekend, the decission will be known tomorrow night.

Good choice, the last time I crossed the Channel with AP, we averaged 22-23 knots in F2-3. At this speed everyone was comfortable and not holding on for grim death.

Can I also suggest you stop perhaps every 45 mins to change drivers, allow stern drives to cool down (we have discussed this one at length and I was astonished to find mine warm after 30 mins of high speed cruising) and have a fag / slurp of coffee. This speed is a good compromise between the big 7m+ boats that don't plane well at slower speeds and the little boats that are comfortable at 20 knots.

Also suggest one person sets the GPS marks (which way round Alderney) and posts them on here so everyone is following the same track. Richard as the leader over to you...

Pete

{for those in the Colonies "fag" is a cigarette and has nothing to do with "camp" or "pink marshmallows" previously mentioned in this post}
Is Crazyhorse going ? he needs to buy a bottom of Champs
Old 27 July 2003, 23:01   #155

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
A bottom of champs? This got more to do with the fags, camp trip and pink marshmellows?
Old 27 July 2003, 23:29   #156

Ah, you noticed that too Matt? I'm getting worried about this lot!

Pete - great to hear that you may be coming - get in touch with Charles ASAP!!

I dunno, you smokers can't hold your attention span for more that 45mins...

Yes - I don't think this will be a fast crossing. There's quite mix of boats with at least 6 in the 4.7m to 6.5m range. Also a number of young children and other inexperienced crew like mine. We need to stick together and look out for each other.

Waypoints need to be published as you say - watch this space. I'll take advice from Charles on how to approach Platte Fougere - with the preferred route looking like keeping to the west of Roche Douvres.

Crazyhorse said he couldn't make it, but I've kept a pair of seats free on Blue Ice just in case?

And Matt - are you coming? If I remember, you were pencilled in from the beginning.
Old 27 July 2003, 23:56   #157

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Sadly no, I won't be coming. And for the exact same reason I can't do Orkney. All those bloody university students have come home for summer and stolen all the jobs. Been trying for the past 2 months to get work, but can't. At this point, if I was to get a job tomorrow, firstly I wouldn't be paid in time, and secondly I don't think they'd like me taking over a weeks worth of holiday time so early on!

I'm currently looking into getting a job elsewhere, and moving out. Enquiring about a couple of jobs in the Pwhelli/Bangor area tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
Old 28 July 2003, 08:33   #158

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
Hi guys,
20-25 knots is good for me in fair weather. Less if it blows up. Talking of inexperienced crew Richard, if it is anything rougher than "mill pond" could I please "bum" a seat on your larger boat for my other half. I don't want to put her off ribbing forever!
Regards,
Dave
Old 28 July 2003, 11:20   #159

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard B

Waypoints need to be published as you say - watch this space. I'll take advice from Charles on how to approach Platte Fougere - with the preferred route looking like keeping to the west of Roche Douvres.

I think you mean the casquets if that was the Roches Douvres you would certainly be in trouble!

For those of you approaching Guernsey through the little Russell I would go 2 miles west of the Casquets as this will take you past any over falls and save any lost time then as you approach Guernsey keep Brehon Tower (locally called Behron Tower) over the end of St Martins point, which is the southern most visible tip of Guernsey. This is the clearest route. Once you are in sight of Rousse and Roustel then you can head in towards the Platte and then on towards St Peter Port. It is a clear route with nothing to worry about

Dom
Old 28 July 2003, 11:29   #160

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard B
Err,
Maybe I'm having a blonde moment but according to my chart, Roches Douvres are 20 miles south of Guernsey... or is there another place with a similar name?

From my plotting, a straight line from The Needles to Platte Fougere just misses the bit of TSS north of Alderney and goes through the Ortac Channel. I've not been through the Ortac, (it was calm enough to do The Swinge last time I was there).... So looking forward to your advice Charles..... which will probably be in the mail shot I guess!

Clarky, Your wife is welcome to sit on my engine if it’s rough. That's where my wife often sits and it is quite still there – Don’t worry, there is a cushion!
(Actually strike that about rough - moderate is my limit!)

Mike C