Old 31 July 2003, 07:55   #181

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
I am going to Herm again this week-end after having a lengthy chat to Adrian who is the 'keeper of Herm. He has offered me two, maybe three moorings at the Rosaire steps. These are quite substantial and can easily hold 2 or 3 ribs rafted together. The second option are the moorings just outside the harbour, we can have 4 of those, these dry out. The third option is to go into the harbour, this is where the second anchor comes in, and dry out on the sandy beach anchoring for and aft.
Make sense?
Another option of course would be to leave your rib in Gsy and have one rib ferry people across, your choice.
Old 31 July 2003, 08:18   #182

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
Pete7 - thanks for that, I had similar quotes for the anchor but, add a length of chain and say, 50m rope and there's the ton!

Charles - for personal preference I would go for a mooring or anchor where the boat won't dry out. Unless the tides work out, it would be very frustrating not to be able to get around having made the trip over.

I'll go with the flow and will get the second anchor if necessary.

Regards,
Dave
Old 31 July 2003, 10:18   #183

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Dave, I will bring a couple of extra 30m ropes for us to use especially during the day if we call in anywhere. Suggest 5m of chain and a lead / iron weight which will achieve the same thing. I could bring a suitable weight if you need one (about 7 kg).

I have left Charles instructions at home but think low water is during the day which will suit as we will be out and about. The one tricky bit is having moored the boats up in the evening getting the last person ashore. Either we find a small sib or do a drysuit and fins swim from the boats to shore. Don't worry to much we will find a solution, or as Charles suggests, raft them up together on a fixed bouy.

For Richard, if you need a hand with the co ordinates and chartwork just shout,

Pete
Old 31 July 2003, 11:40   #184

I have a sib- so there will be no problems with it being the nominated taxi.
I suggest the following - once we are all together at Herm I will show everyone the options for mooring and based on that you can decide what you want to do - ok?
Old 31 July 2003, 15:23   #185

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Viewing the moorings is an excellent idea.

Rafting up at Rosaire steps sounds good.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2003, 16:14   #186

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Engine: Nada
Thanks guys

Dave
Old 31 July 2003, 22:24   #187

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
I have a sib- so there will be no problems with it being the nominated taxi.
I suggest the following - once we are all together at Herm I will show everyone the options for mooring and based on that you can decide what you want to do - ok?
Dont forget if you get a few anchors together and raft a few boats you can anchor by Putranez which is just below the camp site and 3 mins walk down the path, its doesnt get swept by the tide and you can come in far enough not to dry out. I am no there this weekend Charles or I would show you but it is a good place for people to consider.

Dom
Old 05 August 2003, 12:29   #188

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Trailer Parking Lymington

To all going from Lymington,

I've just spoken to Lymington Yacht Haven and they now seem confident that they can accommodate 5 or so trailers for overnight parking during our trip. Please note though that space is limited. Therefore, all those who are intending to store their trailer at the Yacht Haven and haven't already done so, are advised to book a space ASAP.

Please either call them on 01590 677071 and ask for 'The Yard' or preferably fax details, (ie dates your leaving it and also, length of trailer). Their fax number is 0590 670817.

Mention it’s the BIBOA/RIBNET cruise and I think they have my name in their diary too, so that might help! (Mike Carson).

See you all Friday 29th at 9AM!

Web - http://www.yachthavens.com

Mike C
Old 13 August 2003, 22:09   #189

It is with some regret that I must now pull out of the Herm trip. After playing host to Portsmouth Television to film Alan coming home I went to refuel at Camper and Nicholsons. Whilst tied up a yacht rammed Old Spice at 3 knots whilst also trying to moor up. Damage includes shattered top of transom ,a frame bolts pulled through the deck and it bent the 2" frame, tube flanges torn. Looks like Halmatic will be busy in September the earliest they can fit her in and my preferred choice of boat yard.

Interestingly as the yachtie was giving me his name and address he explained that he had problems with the gears and throttle but hadn't got round to fixing them. He sailed off for 10 days in the West Country whilst I limped back to Halsar creek. I will post some pics when the boat is lifted out.

I can't believe half an hour earlier we brought 40 ribs through the enterance of one of the busiest harbours in the world at 10 knots in close formation on a scorching August Saturday without a hickup and this w***er couldn't even park a yacht in calm conditions in a marina.

Thanks to Charles for finding space for me, and I hope you have a great weekend, perhaps next year.

Peter
Old 13 August 2003, 22:46   #190

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Ooof, shame to hear that Pete. You give him a good dose of verbal abuse or be civilised about the whole thing? Stupid tw*t stopping you going on the Herm cruise, and depriving everyone else of your company! That man needs a meda...locking up.

Hope you get it fixed soon mate.

Matt
Old 14 August 2003, 21:44   #191

Narked,

Kept it very formal and polite afterall Old Spice is now a coded charter rib so there is a loss of income to be considered in addition to several grands worth of damage.

Meda... ? given his age I think a nursing home with a travelling rug over his knees would be more suitable and if the United States of Europe want my vote for compulsory driving tests for boats they now have it!
Pete
Old 14 August 2003, 21:55   #192

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Pete, that's a bit of a shame... well, actually rather a big shame after spending all that time getting the RIB looking so good.

You're welcome on "Blue Ice" for Herm if that helps?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2003, 22:16   #193

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Hi to charles and all,

Not sure how to go about it !!!

I would love to attempt/go on the crossing but, as a relative newcomer and new small Rib owner would not try this in my little baby.

I would indeed love the experience gained from such a crossing and the knowledge gained from such experienced ribsters on the big boys toys, so if anyone has a spare seat and would be willing please let us know.

thanks

Paul

ps \pete7 Sorry to here about your unfortunate damage
Old 14 August 2003, 22:46   #194

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
would love to attempt/go on the crossing

Have sent you a PM.
Old 15 August 2003, 07:26   #195

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Yachties who can't drive

Hi Pete7,

I heard about your misfortune I am very sorry Pete. I hope it will be sorted out soon.

There are plenty of people going from the area to Herm perhaps hitch a lift? I hope you can make this trip be good to meet you as I was little busy on Saturday.

Glad you enjoyed the day.

All the Best
Old 16 August 2003, 08:53   #196

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Charles

I have just sent you a PM regarding the trip

Paul
Old 20 August 2003, 08:33   #197

REMINDER

This cruise is almost upon us, so, start thinking about getting your ribs in order, start packing all the bits and pieces you require according to my last letter. Ensure you have a decent anchor, chain and rope. The smaller ribs should be departing as close to 09:00 as possible with the larger ribs departing a half hour or so later. It is very important to tether anything down on the deck that cannot fit into lockers, ensure all brackets etc are really tight as things do shake loose and can ruin the passage to Gsy. By all accounts, most everyone participating should make the run without refuelling - if you do not think you can make it with one tank, make sure you are able to refuel sensibly, also let Richard or someone else know of the situation.
HAVE A SAFE TRIP!
Old 20 August 2003, 09:15   #198

Re: REMINDER

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
Ensure you have a decent anchor, chain and rope.
Charles, what length of chain and rope would you suggest for the Channel Islands?

I've got 10m chain with a 60m anchor line which is possibly a bit OTT (and a 7.5kg "bruce" on the end), but you can never have too much!
Old 20 August 2003, 09:42   #199

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Re: Re: REMINDER

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard B
I've got 10m chain with a 60m anchor line which is possibly a bit OTT (and a 7.5kg "bruce" on the end), but you can never have too much!
well seeing as your equipped for us all I'll moor alongside you while you anchor, with that lot we wont be going anywhere
Old 20 August 2003, 09:47   #200

Oi, get your own ground tackle!

Seriously though, with your extreme tidal ranges, what length of anchor line do you Channel Islanders keep on board?