Old 22 July 2006, 15:59   #1

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Chanel Isle or France

We want to cruise to eaither France or the Chanel Islands in company,
Weekend/over nighter etc. but having never done it before is any body doing such a trip this July/Aug BIBOA seam to have lost there way with cruising.
(I know this will kick up a stink) but its a bit of a closed shop a club for the few not the the many. Lots of cruise dates are TBA great !
Or should i chance it on our own, or dose any body know any thing about
Pathfinders power boat club (RIBS) inculded.web site looks good.
Or is it ground hog day the Folly Inn or Yarmouth again and again.
Old 22 July 2006, 16:41   #2

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Can't speak about BIBAO but can highly recommend Pathfinder. They have a mixture of RIBs and hardboats. A very friendly bunch indeed. There are a couple of members who nip across the Channel on a regular basis.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 08:11   #3

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Future Events

Hi Roy

As a club BIBOA still have 3 and possibly 4 cross channel events coming up over the next couple of months.

These will include, Cherbourg , Alderney , Jersey and possibly Cateret etc. These dates are just being finalized by the organizers of each event, This time of year with holidays etc things get a little delayed but i am assured that I will have these within the next week or 2 tops.

If you would like a run across the channel i will give to the BIBOA directory for people in the Solent area who cross the channel most weekends.

Sorry we missed you last weekend.

All the best

Julian
Old 25 July 2006, 16:57   #4

Town: Nottingham
Boat name: Proper Job
Length: 10m +
Engine: Diesel 600hp
Send a message via MSN to <-Dragonfly->
We've just done a week in the Channel Isles, next one will be sept I thinks.

5th Aug we spending two weeks in cornwall and scilly if anyone wants to tag along.
Old 25 July 2006, 18:31   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith
We want to cruise to eaither France or the Chanel Islands in company,
Weekend/over nighter etc. but having never done it before is any body doing such a trip this July/Aug BIBOA seam to have lost there way with cruising.
(I know this will kick up a stink) but its a bit of a closed shop a club for the few not the the many. Lots of cruise dates are TBA great !
Or should i chance it on our own, or dose any body know any thing about
Pathfinders power boat club (RIBS) inculded.web site looks good.
Or is it ground hog day the Folly Inn or Yarmouth again and again.
The problem with BIBOA is getting people to volunteer to organise stuff and getting the info to members quickly. RIBlines is a good job (by Louise) but reading the recent copy that I, ahem, acquired it did very much seem to be very small groups of people & I can see where it can appear cliquy. Much of a contrast to the events organised through rib.net (a bigger clique!)

I would recommend giving a BIBOA event a try. I met some incredible people through BIBOA and had the cruise of a lifetime (West Coast Scotland). The cross channel cruises should be a good laugh.
Old 25 July 2006, 22:24   #6

Easter 05 i phoned the man who organized the cruise aranged to meet at Yarmouth 9.30 am got there at 9.15 and they had left.
Fuming would be a under statement when i phoned he said Wops sorry.
I had arraged work around last weekend i left pm,s for two people , No reply
tried to get phone numbers for any body but the web site tells you nothing.
in the end my mate gave me a copy of Riblines With Juilans number on it but by that time they had gone.
Membership £55 ?
I am in retail when you pay your subs you become a customer and if you want to keep or better still increase your numbers then you have to reach out a bit more judging by the replys just how many paid up members are there ? . Juilan is a great guy, its the club thing i,am on about.
That all folks.
Old 25 July 2006, 23:22   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith
I am in retail when you pay your subs you become a customer and if you want to keep or better still increase your numbers then you have to reach out a bit more judging by the replys just how many paid up members are there ? . Juilan is a great guy, its the club thing i,am on about.
That all folks.
But the people who run BIBOA are volunteers and are not paid. And have day jobs / new babies / a life outside BIBOA. (I was that soldier some years ago.)
Anyway, its not worth arguing about. There's enough good folk on rib.net to go cruising with. Even the BIBOA members.....
Old 26 July 2006, 13:59   #8

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Biboa

I agree with most of the comments and feel that there is still a long way to go before everyone can benefit from the club. Its difficult to get commitment from people to arrange events especialy when a lot of people are away in the summer on family holiday and things, What we are trying to achieve is getting people to commit to arranging a event at the start of the year and sticking to the set date. At present everyone on the committe now has to arrange at least one event each. This year I will be running at least 4. The events do take up a lot of time to sort out but that should be no excuse. I am going to be in contact with people over the next 2 weeks to ensure we have set dates and I will post on here what they are so members can up date the calendar etc.

I hope that we can move this forward and have a club where everyone can get involved.

Thanks

Julian
Old 28 July 2006, 12:02   #9

Julian
I was not having ago at you. if a biboa member does not have a copy of riblines to hand there is no way to get in contact or to have a phone number to confirm a cruise as the web site dosent work, As for the volunteer thing what dose the membership buy, Riblines as good as it , its not worth £55 on its own, i have tried to push the members thing in northney, quoting biboa.com but if you cant even see a crusing calender there is no hope of new members joining in.
I am looking forward to seeing you on the water.