Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 March 2009, 06:12   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portishead
Boat name: Megalou
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Bristol channel cruising

just joined ribnet in the hope some like minded rib owners are interested in cruising in the bristol channel, launching and navigatation are a challenge and would welcome some loal knowledge and company on first few trips?
__________________

__________________
GINGERIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 07:02   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Hi Gingerib

MattH, Maximus, and I are looking to do some more Bristol channel cruising so would welcome another boat to join us, there are plans afoot for a trip to Lundy although uncertain as to where we will be launching from as it looks like it might end up being a day trip so perhaps Appledore.

We head out from Bristol Marina occasionaly however you are limited by the tides to a quick 3 hour blast as the lock gates out of the marina into the avon only operate for 3 hours before High Water. Unless you want to head out for a good nine hour stint of course in which case you leave at the end of the morning tide and come back at the beginning of the evening one.

The other option is the SARA slip way at Beachley which is OK but not that pleasant to launch from unless the water is fairly slack. Spring Tides make it a very dicey slip.

Then of course there is Portishead Marina however that is not an option for me as I refuse to pay 50 to launch there.

Further on down are Weston, Minehead and Watchett all limited to 2 hours either side of High Water and then further on down you are into the North Devon area

Cardiff which you can access at all tide states is a good option but a bit of a drive.
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 08:13   #3
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Channel cruiseing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERIB View Post
just joined ribnet in the hope some like minded rib owners are interested in cruising in the bristol channel, launching and navigatation are a challenge and would welcome some loal knowledge and company on first few trips?
Hi 'Gingerib' and welcome to Ribnet,as Chris said we hope to do a bit more along the Channel coast and you are most welcome.Haveing fished alot, and done some diveing along the North coast of Somerset and Devon,I know it can be both, one of the the most beutifull and challengeing streches of coast/waters we have.With the strong tides,and immence tidal range launching and recovery does need some planning.
Alot of the 'where to launch guides' give only a rudamentary appraisel of suitable sites and I dont think anything can beat a personal 'recci 'of intended launching points in this neck of the woods.I often try in the winter to steer any trips with my beloved, to places of possible interest!!! Haveing said that in my experiance Ribnet is the next best thing!!and if you have a specific place,or destination in mind I'm sure there are plenty who will be willing give you thier valuable local knoledge.
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 08:23   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hi 'Gingerib' and welcome to Ribnet,as Chris said we hope to do a bit more along the Channel coast and you are most welcome.Haveing fished alot, and done some diveing along the North coast of Somerset and Devon,I know it can be both, one of the the most beutifull and challengeing streches of coast/waters we have.With the strong tides,and immence tidal range launching and recovery does need some planning.
Alot of the 'where to launch guides' give only a rudamentary appraisel of suitable sites and I dont think anything can beat a personal 'recci 'of intended launching points in this neck of the woods.I often try in the winter to steer any trips with my beloved, to places of possible interest!!! Haveing said that in my experiance Ribnet is the next best thing!!and if you have a specific place,or destination in mind I'm sure there are plenty who will be willing give you thier valuable local knoledge.
Dos Sumerset have a coast or a disslexia service?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 14:01   #5
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Dos Sumerset have a coast or a disslexia service?
Sorry Mollers 'old bean' I'll try to limit any future posts to words of no more than two sylabals...just for you.'Sheds and bins',and 'Bobbing about' should have been a clue!!
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 14:23   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Sorry Mollers 'old bean' I'll try to limit any future posts to words of no more than two sylabals...just for you.'Sheds and bins',and 'Bobbing about' should have been a clue!!
It's not the number of syllables, it's the comedic spelling. Duckin' fyxelia is a barstad!
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 15:11   #7
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
It's not the number of syllables, it's the comedic spelling. Duckin' fyxelia is a barstad!
Hi Ho,pryce I pay four long Sunday pub Lunche with my sun doing the drivving!
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 17:06   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hi Ho,pryce I pay four long Sunday pub Lunche.......
Any syllabub?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 08:54   #9
exspyrd trayd membir
 
The Garfish's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Dos Sumerset have a coast or a disslexia service?

leev im alowne yew cawnish nobwangir

heez az speld a lott ov werds rong butt i cann stil unnerstand im

garF
__________________
luk arfter numbir wan, downt stepp inn numbir too
The Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 13:33   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portishead
Boat name: Megalou
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Hi Gingerib

MattH, Maximus, and I are looking to do some more Bristol channel cruising so would welcome another boat to join us, there are plans afoot for a trip to Lundy although uncertain as to where we will be launching from as it looks like it might end up being a day trip so perhaps Appledore.

We head out from Bristol Marina occasionaly however you are limited by the tides to a quick 3 hour blast as the lock gates out of the marina into the avon only operate for 3 hours before High Water. Unless you want to head out for a good nine hour stint of course in which case you leave at the end of the morning tide and come back at the beginning of the evening one.

The other option is the SARA slip way at Beachley which is OK but not that pleasant to launch from unless the water is fairly slack. Spring Tides make it a very dicey slip.

Then of course there is Portishead Marina however that is not an option for me as I refuse to pay 50 to launch there.

Further on down are Weston, Minehead and Watchett all limited to 2 hours either side of High Water and then further on down you are into the North Devon area

Cardiff which you can access at all tide states is a good option but a bit of a drive.
Thanks all for the info and invite.
A lundy trip has been on my check list for a while so depending on timings etc i would be very interested in coming along on that cruise.
i agree with avioding the silly launching fees at sunny P although i live close by the berths and always wanted to walk out of the house and on to my boat and pop over to cardiff for lunch and refreshments! anyways
i mainly use the rib in west wales (Carmarthen bay) and launch off the beach using my two wheel drive company car - i can only assume concrete slips at beechley and more appealing cardiff would not be a problem?
regards Gingerib
__________________

__________________
GINGERIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.