Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Anyone out Saturday 11th July?

Hi All
We were planning a Cherbourg trip this weekend with Biboa but due to a wet and windy cross channel forecast this is now off.
Is anyone else planning on a more local cruise? Poole, Chichester, anywhere round the IOW?
The forecast for the solent is Cloudy with maybe just occasional showers, 14 - 15 MPH SW winds. High Water is about 14.35 so if anyone fancies a trip up a creek for lunch I'm open to suggestions.....
We are planning to launch from up the Hamble mid morning.
On Dizzy Lizzy it'll be just Rick (age 11) and I.
Anyone up for something?
Trevor
Mob 07840 975807
Old 11 July 2009, 00:50   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I might be out if it's not hammering it down. Will be accomanying (flying shotgun) a friend with his new boat whilst he gets used to it.

I'll give you a call on 16 or 72

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 10:35   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I'll be out around lunch time, doing sea trials with my mate in his speedboat
Launching from hythe or crosshouse, be on 16.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 11:31   #4
RIBnet supporter

As the forecast has changed to more persistent rain, Rick opted for going to the cinema with a friend so billy no mates (me) is left furniture shopping with Pam!
Wish I was out on the water though.
Old 11 July 2009, 12:35   #5

Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyLizzy View Post
Wish I was out on the water though.
You really don't! I don't know what the weather is like with you but here in Bournemouth/Poole it's a constant fine drizzle. (Although possibly being out in the boat despite the rain would prove cheaper than furniture shopping with Pam!)

Forecast for tomorrow looks brighter though and hope to be out and about. How about anyone else?

David
Old 11 July 2009, 13:14   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Forecast for tomorrow looks brighter though and hope to be out and about. How about anyone else?

David
Ah - the original forecast was heavier rain for Sunday - but if this changes to brighter I'll certainly try to get out. I guess it will need need reviewing in the morning. Were you thinking of coming across our way? (ie towards the Isle of Wight?)
High-ish water is between 12.00 and 17.00 so maybe a lunch run up a creek somewhere? Is Christchurch worth visiting?
Old 11 July 2009, 16:51   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Is Christchurch worth visiting?
I like to think so ! I'd say you will be fine in & out anytime between 10 am & 7pm.

I went over to the boat ( in the drizzle) and its pretty miserable out. Sunday still looks very rainiy on my forecast. If you come this way let me know I may manage to get at least one boat wet & meet up for a drink . I know I owe David one.

Pete
Old 11 July 2009, 20:00   #8

Town: Fareham
Is a totally miserable weekend so far.....Isn't it? Not one for a Summer cruise.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 21:21   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I like to think so ! I'd say you will be fine in & out anytime between 10 am & 7pm.
Sunday still looks very rainiy on my forecast. If you come this way let me know I may manage to get at least one boat wet & meet up for a drink . I know I owe David one.
Pete
Currently (10pm Sat night) the forecast for tomorrow is cloud with sunny spells - no rain in sight!
Pete - if we go for Christchurch can you recommend anywhere specific to head for for lunch?
Trev.
Old 12 July 2009, 01:57   #10

Now significantly later on: so far as the forecast is concerned the rainy things have certainly fallen off the cloudy things on my Met Office chart and the colour of those cloudy things has turned to white.

Unfortunately, in the real world, it is still raining heavily here (I could have boated home from Christchurch where Mrs A was warbling in the Priory this evening). I'm not convinced that the Met Office has got it right (and I've left her there with a view to collecting her on the boat in the morning ). (Not really!)

I can confirm that Christchurch has many good places to eat: unfortunately, very few (or rather none of which I'm aware) at which to moor and go ashore. That makes the incentive poor for me and my entrance rate (1 out of 3 attempts) is on the low side. It does help having the entrance buoyed at this time of year but you still need to run broadside to the waves for a stretch which is OK if you know where you're going and the waves aren't too big!

I'm going to give the weather another call in the morning but am keen to go and, all things being equal, fancy the idea of being shouted at by the harbourmaster at Ashlett Creek tomorrow which (weather permitting) should be accessible from 1.15 pm with a view to trying The Jolly Sailor (oo er matron ).

That will give another notch for me (the harbourmaster's shout rather than the jolly sailor!) but perhaps we could meet somewhere beforehand if your're launching earlier?

David
Old 12 July 2009, 07:20   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Currently (10pm Sat night) the forecast for tomorrow is cloud with sunny spells - no rain in sight!
Pete - if we go for Christchurch can you recommend anywhere specific to head for for lunch?
Trev.
The best place to moor up along side is at the captains club hotel - a quick phone call as you come up river to make sure they know you are coming - I've never been denied & its free. Its a 4knt limit so allow 10mins run up the river. Stick to the channel !

Failing that you can tie up at Mudeford Quay and head in to the pub whos name I forget. ( also free to stop)

The entrance is an easy run over the summer - I have never had any drama when its marked up & once done once its easy to do again. Not sure about runninf beam on to waves - most have dropped away again after rising over the bar.

I now have to gte the puncture fixed on the car , but may head out about 11- 12 ish .

If you come this way let me know , but if not enjoy !

Pete
Old 12 July 2009, 07:50   #12
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I'm going to give the weather another call in the morning but am keen to go and, all things being equal, fancy the idea of being shouted at by the harbourmaster at Ashlett Creek tomorrow which (weather permitting) should be accessible from 1.15 pm with a view to trying The Jolly Sailor (oo er matron ).

That will give another notch for me (the harbourmaster's shout rather than the jolly sailor!) but perhaps we could meet somewhere beforehand if your're launching earlier?
Nice and sunny now -
Hoping to leave home at 9.30 so should be in the water at about 11.00.
Not sure who will be with me as the kids are still asleep, or where to go so I'll give you a call when we're launching - maybe we can meet in the Yarmouth/Lymington area around mid-day?
Trev
Old 12 July 2009, 08:41   #13

Looking out of the window here, it's now mainly broken fluffy white things heading south east at a fair lick across an otherwise blue background.

Like you, the rest of the family is still asleep but I (plus anyone else that's woken up by then!) will be in the Yarmouth/Lymington area around midday and will 'phone/call on 16 (might even try your MMSI!).