Old 26 February 2007, 16:55   #121

Town: bicester, Oxford
Boat name: mach1
Make: avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp yamaha
vhf info useful, to get your SRC license i understand you need to take an exam??

will they still let me in to alderney without it, im sure the answer is yes!!

As for the VAT i would like to think mine now looks resonably new, last thing i want is an impounded boat, i may have to stay there indefinately (shame)
Old 26 February 2007, 16:57   #122
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mcconnell View Post
vhf info useful, to get your SRC license i understand you need to take an exam??

will they still let me in to alderney without it, im sure the answer is yes!!

As for the VAT i would like to think mine now looks resonably new, last thing i want is an impounded boat, i may have to stay there indefinately (shame)
For the VAT I've got some invoices sealed into plastic sheet i.e. Hull, outboard etc

James
Old 26 February 2007, 17:04   #123

ive pritty much EBAYED my boat togeather, that will do i suppose.

Never considered i would be travelling to foreign countrys in it, bit mad really.
Old 26 February 2007, 17:17   #124

Length: 6m +
Quote:
You are correct - you can either take a one day course at an RYA Centre, with a Practical and Written Assessment at the end, or you can phone a centre and just take the exam. Most centres charge between £50 - £100 for the course, and there is a license fee of £22. You will also need a passport photo for the license.

To just take the exam the RYA License fee is £38, and the cost at the centre will vary hugely.

Bear in mind it is illegal to operate Marine VHF (except in a distress situation) without an SRC holder using the radio or supervising. If you have a fitted radio on board, I would reccomend the Radio Course - it's not as dull as it sounds.
Old 26 February 2007, 17:55   #125

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
As Jim says its only a day course and its not that bad really.

If you have a VHF you need a licence and then you need to register it with Ofcom. As a few of us have found that takes a little time.

However (I know I'm stating the obvious here)if you don't have a VHF you don't need the license or to register it with ofcom.
Old 26 February 2007, 18:34   #126

thanks jimbo

I can see me taken the test very soon, im no stranger to radio from my flying days, ive just had no real reason to have used the radio afloat, for emergency only.

If i can go straight to the exam i assume there is a web site, book ect which would educate me in the ways of marine talk!!

any one help
Old 26 February 2007, 18:37   #127

Quote:
If i can go straight to the exam i assume there is a web site, book ect which would educate me in the ways of marine talk!!
Yep, get the new one by Tim Bartlett, direct from the RYA - http://www.rya.org.uk/Shop/Cultures/en-GB/G31.htm

Well laid out, and has all you need in it! You will often find that going straight to the exam is just as costly as doing the full days course, as the license fee just under doubles, and most centres will have to examine you as a one off, so the only saving is often your time.

If and when you decide to go for the exam - drop me an e-mail on james@daviescoaching.co.uk as I'm sure I'll be able to sort you out.
Old 26 February 2007, 18:38   #128

hi biggles

thanks also for your reply, i have registered my vhf with ofcom on the internet last year, was not to bad actually.

feel safer knowing that if i shout my boat name, coastguard have all my details.
Old 26 February 2007, 18:41   #129

cheers jimbo

im just on the RYA site now completing my book order, i will have a good read and email you

cheers agin for your help
Old 26 February 2007, 22:44   #130

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Anyone want to be a VAT expert ?
It's quite straightforward. VAT may become payable on the value of goods moved across boundaries into EEC member states. Because the Channel Islands Administrations (Bailwicks) are not members of the EEC, VAT cannot and will not ever be charged on entry to the the Islands. VAT may become payable if you are considered to be importing goods into an EEC member state. Therefore when you enter EEC waters after leaving a non-EEC country, you may be asked to provide proof of VAT paid. This may include entering French, or British waters. In practise, this will never happen, unless your movements are particularly suspicious (such as making a fast night passage which you haven't logged with the coastguard) or you annoy the customs in some other way. We've made a number of passages to the Channel Islands and France and never needed a scrap of documentation. On two occasions, I've been to France without any documentation at all, not even a passport. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do the same though! You will find the Alderney officials very un-official unless you do something unsociable, or wear a seatbelt in a car, or a helmet on a motorbike. And Brian warned me that using a mobile 'phone in a car on the island is an imprisonable offence!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 05:59   #131

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Has anyone made a firm date yet?
I'll pop up and say hello...>:O)

http://www.alderney.gov.gg/
Old 27 February 2007, 17:15   #132

Town: southampton
Make: ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 230 diesel jet
Could I please add my name to the list?
Bryan plus 3-5 will confirm by end of week
(Boat name) well big blue thing called a selva? (yes I know a selva) Will get the miss to think of one
Old 27 February 2007, 18:10   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
It's quite straightforward. VAT may become payable on the value of goods moved across boundaries into EEC member states. Because the Channel Islands Administrations (Bailwicks) are not members of the EEC, VAT cannot and will not ever be charged on entry to the the Islands. VAT may become payable if you are considered to be importing goods into an EEC member state. Therefore when you enter EEC waters after leaving a non-EEC country, you may be asked to provide proof of VAT paid. This may include entering French, or British waters. In practise, this will never happen, unless your movements are particularly suspicious (such as making a fast night passage which you haven't logged with the coastguard) or you annoy the customs in some other way. We've made a number of passages to the Channel Islands and France and never needed a scrap of documentation. On two occasions, I've been to France without any documentation at all, not even a passport. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do the same though! You will find the Alderney officials very un-official unless you do something unsociable, or wear a seatbelt in a car, or a helmet on a motorbike. And Brian warned me that using a mobile 'phone in a car on the island is an imprisonable offence!
Thanks for that Richard.

I should imagine as long as we play ball then we should have no problems. I for one am planning to have photocopies of all my original boat papers, not the originals as I don't want them to get wet.
Old 27 February 2007, 18:11   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by watersideman1 View Post
Could I please add my name to the list?
Bryan plus 3-5 will confirm by end of week
(Boat name) well big blue thing called a selva? (yes I know a selva) Will get the miss to think of one
Bryan,

Added.
Old 02 March 2007, 07:16   #135

I have been considering a trip to Alderney for some time.
Maybe unwisely I made the trip to Cherbourg solo last year which went fine despite quite choppy conditions on the way out. Alderney looks infinitley more inviting than Cherbourg! Would have to be a weekend/long weekend though for me.

Carlo
Old 02 March 2007, 10:06   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
I have been considering a trip to Alderney for some time.
Maybe unwisely I made the trip to Cherbourg solo last year which went fine despite quite choppy conditions on the way out. Alderney looks infinitley more inviting than Cherbourg! Would have to be a weekend/long weekend though for me.

Carlo
Carlo,

Read the thread from the beginning and you'll get the dates and some basic timings etc.
A more in detail outline plan will follow later this month.

Regards Nick R.
Old 02 March 2007, 18:00   #137

Town: York/Kingsbridge
Boat name: No Nonsense
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp
Any thoughts on the Torbay departees? Are we intending to leave at roughly the same time? By the way, I have a TV friend who would like to film the event and make a dvd.. would everyone be OK with that? We are Graham plus three...
Old 03 March 2007, 12:12   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetterthebetter View Post
Any thoughts on the Torbay departees? Are we intending to leave at roughly the same time? By the way, I have a TV friend who would like to film the event and make a dvd.. would everyone be OK with that? We are Graham plus three...
As long as its a good high quality DVD at a reasonable price. Look forward to it.

You know some of these jaunts might make a half decent 30 min slot on the Adventure Channel. Seeing as Discovery Wings has gone from Sky maybe we could get Discovery RIBs to replace it
Old 03 March 2007, 12:17   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetterthebetter View Post
Graham,

We haven't heard from the South West RIBsters for a while now with regards this thread. Can you do some digging around and see who's interested. It would be handy for me if someone down that part of the country did all the planning for the South West and then sent me all the details at a later date.

Looks like accomodation is going to be very limited for this so on the Island all we have to concern ourselves with is replenning the boats, mooring them up and most likely getting Jimbo to supervise the Tent Pitching.

Keep me posted and obviously if your the only one coming from your direction I'll supply details for you to follow.

Regards Nick R.
Old 03 March 2007, 21:45   #140

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
I have been watching this thread for a while and may be interested in joining in if it would be OK.

We would be leaving from Plymouth and it would be our first cross channel crossing.

I would only consider it if there are any others we could go with for that little bit of saftey and company.

I am thinking about taking our 2 boys ( 1 at 10yrs and 1 at 8 yrs) and would try some longer trips to see how they cope before a crossing. Also I would welcome any advice from those that have tried a 4 hour trip in open water with children where they have little to do or see.

Although this is a very vague request to join you all, is there somebody who is sorting out the camping arrangements or is it DIY.

Tim

PS. Is it really necessary to fly the Q (yellow) flag on return to the UK and fill in the customs forms?