Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
Well, I am all set. Have booked into Yarmouth Harbour on the Friday so am happy to press earlyish Saturday. Have also booked accomodation at Alderney - the Belle Vue Hotel (although if I don't make the crossing I lose all the full amount )

Hope everyone else is still up for it; bound to have a few wimp out before the event but it should be a great trip for those pressing on regardless (ish) (providing we have half decent weather)

Steve

p.s. Is anyone going to Ribex? I will be in and around the Solent that weekend, probably go to the show on Saturday 12 May.

p.p.s., what clothing do you guys wear for long trips like this ( I know weather is a big factor) - do you go for drysuits, wetsuits, lightweight clothing with spare stuff to hand? Thoughts?

Steve,

Look forward to meeting you. An updated list to follow soon.
Old 08 April 2007, 20:50   #182

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Hi Steve,

Rather than go off in tandem on this thread, I've posted a RIBEX questions here, as I'm planning on going by RIB, probably on the Saturday:-
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?p=194176#post194176

Re Alderney trip - I've not done a long trip like that before, but plan on taking the Drysuit in case conditions are not great, but just wearing light clothing that dries quickly and taking waterproofs too. If it gets a bit horrid, the drysuit can go on. Obviousl spare stuff to hand is advisable too.

Cheers

Neil

QUOTE=Just Looking;194144]
p.s. Is anyone going to Ribex? I will be in and around the Solent that weekend, probably go to the show on Saturday 12 May.
p.p.s., what clothing do you guys wear for long trips like this ( I know weather is a big factor) - do you go for drysuits, wetsuits, lightweight clothing with spare stuff to hand? Thoughts? [/QUOTE]
Old 22 April 2007, 15:07   #183

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Looks like I will have to withdraw from this as my situation has changed at work and I start a new job on 10th June 2007. And I don't know if I will have the following weekend off. So at this time it may be better if someone else carries on with any planning. If anyone would like to volunteer then I can forward via E Mail all the info I have. If at a later date I find I can make it I'd like to take the opprtunity to jump back on board.

Regards Nick.
Old 22 April 2007, 19:47   #184

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Nick good luck with the new job , sorry to here you may not be able to come but if you change your mind you know were we are starting from.

Planning ? nah just be there, Yarmouth, 10am, with tooth brush and a tent, oh and a rib

Not sure whether to go? well you can always read about it on Ribnet aftwards, and when your boss asks you on Monday what you did for the weekend you can tell him you had a quiet one doing a bit of gardening, or, you can tell him you had a bit of an adventure, crossed the busiest shipping lanes in the world and cruised to the Channel Islands for a BBQ in a little inflatable boat

Pete
Old 25 April 2007, 19:48   #185

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: La Conchee
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 150
MMSI: 235055744
Alderney

I would like to join you on the trip to Alderney as part of a delivery trip to Guernsey.

I am expecting to take delivery of my new Coastline 7m on 25th May from the Hamble which will give me a long weekend to prepare and put a few hours on the engine.

Then I will fly back on the 15th position myself in Yarmouth for an early start on 16th.

If anyone is staying in Yarmouth where do they recommend?
Old 01 May 2007, 12:06   #186

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Quote:
Well, I am all set. Have booked into Yarmouth Harbour on the Friday so am happy to press earlyish Saturday. Have also booked accomodation at Alderney - the Belle Vue Hotel (although if I don't make the crossing I lose all the full amount )
Don't know if this helps but the airline that flys out of Bournemouth are very flexible with their tickets. You can book a flight and if the weather is bad take it, if the weather is good, as long as you tell them you are not going, they will give a refund (I think) or at least you can use it another time.
Old 03 May 2007, 19:32   #187

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Just to clarify a couple of things for you all.....

Firstly, the pontoon at Alderney is accessible at all states of tide, though it is only really intended for dinghys, but will act as a quick drop off point for smallish ribs as well. You can also pull up alongside the commercial jetty (assuming no ferries are in) by calling up the harbnour master on Ch74.

If there's a good number of you coming over, with the consent of the harbour office you may all be able to tie up alongside the commercial jetty for an overnighter.

My mum is on the committee of the sailing club, and the clubhouse is open at all hours for visiting yotties and ribbers. They have a shower and a bar, but not much else. If you all wanted, it may be possible to arrange a barbecue at the clubhouse for a nominal charge. It happens during the summer for inter island sailing races and I think the last one was about £8 per head.

As Brian says, accomodation is very limited in the summer, but the campsite is fairly large and can, I believe, supply tents. If not, there's a few back gardens that I'm sure could be made available.

I'll see you there. (only 35 miles for me from Jersey )
Old 11 May 2007, 16:47   #188

Boat name: Just Looking
Engine: 140 Suzuki OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Planning ? nah just be there, Yarmouth, 10am, with tooth brush and a tent, oh and a rib

Pete
I thought the R.V. was 0900hrs as detailed in Biggles's previous thread?

I don't mind either but the earlier push gets us there in reasonable time, allows for quick introductions at Yarmouth, discussion on weather etc and perhaps co-ordinated video footage plan (swapping tapes etc). I will go with the majority, of course. Clearly depends on where you are starting from.

2nd point. I am happy with the just be there concept, but should we not have someone as the declared lead. e.g. inform coastguard / Yarmouth of our intended route / number of Ribs in party etc. It would also be handy to know who is the more / less experienced in the group. Are we all going to stick together if weather becomes choppier? Is it worthwhile getting a group MMSI?

Thoughts? I bow to greater experience.

Steve

It is a wise man who knows what he wants, but a wiser man still who knows when he has achieved it
Old 11 May 2007, 17:18   #189

Quote:
I thought the R.V. was 0900hrs as detailed in Biggles's previous thread?
Steve hi,

Yes, think Nick did suggest 9am, however I think the Yarmouth fuel pontoon opens at 9am, therefore by the time we have got everyone fuelled up its going to be a 10 am departure. Its 61 miles from Yarmouth to Alderney so that gives us a lunchtime arrival assuming a coffee stop half way. Also allows peeps to launch and get to Yarmouth in the first place. Not sure what time the pubs open on Alderney (rumour has its March ) but wouldn't want to arrive before opening time.

Quote:
2nd point. I am happy with the just be there concept, but should we not have someone as the declared lead. e.g. inform coastguard / Yarmouth of our intended route / number of Ribs in party etc. It would also be handy to know who is the more / less experienced in the group. Are we all going to stick together if weather becomes choppier? Is it worthwhile getting a group MMSI?
Yes a call to the coast guard is a good idea for the group and yes we will all keep together. Perhaps an e mail to Solent Coast Guard the night before giving all the details rather than try and transmit the info. Also this is a Ribnet cruise, so no one gets left behind. I think the golden rule is no one is out of sight, because from experience diving, thats when it goes pear shaped. The route is straight enough, a straight line. Think Charles gave the direction earlier in the thread. We could have an MMSI, but some of us don't have MMSI radios, we tend to use channel 77 on cruises.

We will probably end up in a gaggle formation rather than the more formal "in a straight line" approach and watch the dressing "Right Marker" of an RYA cruise Smaller ribs may find it more comfortable to tuck in behind someone which is fine so long as there is enough room for a quick change of course or emergency stop.

Pete
Old 14 May 2007, 17:46   #190

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Im Out

Sorry Guys, I'm on hols now over this w/e hope you all have a great trip and look forward to joining you on the next one.

Chris
Old 14 May 2007, 18:49   #191

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
if we get a good weather window and this will be over the weekend then we would be up for a blast over too
Old 27 May 2007, 18:41   #192

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Ghost
Make: Scorpion
hello all, first time user ribnet and the forum thing, would like to confirm our interest in your Alderney run 16/17th June. We would be launching from Chichester, give us the latest time, meet point and count us in please, would be great to do the trip for the first time with others. Phil
Old 27 May 2007, 18:52   #193

Phil hi and welcome to ribnet. You would be most welcome on the trip I am sure. I suspect we are going to confirm numbers etc the week before and should have a good idea of the weather then too. We are really looking forward to the trip now. Even dug out the tent and gas stove this morning

Pete and viv
Old 27 May 2007, 19:38   #194

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Pete
Do we need to book the camp site
Dont laugh i have never been under canvas, thank god my son as done all the Duke of Edinburgh stuff.
Will i need a mosquito nett. (Only Joking)
Roy
Old 28 May 2007, 04:49   #195
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
Pete
Do we need to book the camp site
Dont laugh i have never been under canvas, thank god my son as done all the Duke of Edinburgh stuff.
Will i need a mosquito nett. (Only Joking)
Roy
So who's going and how many tents will there be?
Old 28 May 2007, 08:18   #196

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Ghost
Make: Scorpion
Thanks Pete & Viv, will be patient for a week or two. Put us down for B & B.
Old 28 May 2007, 08:34   #197

Well I have just read though all 20 pages of this thread and there are 33 boats that have expressed an interest since Oct last year. Whilst a few may have made other plans now looks like its going to be a good turnout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
So who's going and how many tents will there be?
Think most folks will be camping. It was very much just turn up and find a spot last time and there was plenty of room, however given the numbers it would be polite to tell them nearer the time we are coming. If anyone wants a B&B can I ask you to book this yourself, since they will require a deposit, the risk of course is the weather, but fingers crossed.

Some of us are a little busy next weekend, so how about we have a round up of who is going over the 9/10 June weekend. Hopefully we might have a clearer picture of the weather and which departure point folks are leaving from.

Some thoughts, a simple gas stove and some tea bags etc is good for those who like an early morning cuppa and are we doing a BBQ Saturday evening? Just be a nightmare trying to get eveyone into a restaurant.

We have just e mailed Jayne at the camp site to let her know what we are planning and explained we hope to confirm numbers nearer the time.

Pete & Viv

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alderney1.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	27237  
Old 29 May 2007, 10:35   #198

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Some of us are a little busy next weekend,
May qualify as understatement of the year Pierre!!!!

We're still on for this and we will be right behind you or maybe a little bit to the side

Quote:
Some thoughts, a simple gas stove and some tea bags etc is good for those who like an early morning cuppa

And a mosquito net?

Quote:
and are we doing a BBQ Saturday evening?
So long as we don't set fire to the campsite like last time on the Chn Isles

Kathleen & Paul
Old 03 June 2007, 21:50   #199

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I am still keen on this, but am a bit unsure of the fuel situation. Am I right in saying the nearest Petrol is 200m away? Is anyone totally sure the petrol station will be open?
Old 04 June 2007, 09:39   #200

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
We might be up for this but we are confused. Who is lead planning this?