Old 17 January 2011, 18:32   #141

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I see the French version misses out the bit where the big French catamaran twatted a rock on their way back out
Old 18 January 2011, 08:41   #142

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Matt, I have added your well penned extra two paragraphs to our page.
Old 18 January 2011, 08:51   #143

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I've got some ideas brewing for some group photos, which could look pretty good if we can get all the boats together or even rafted up.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2011, 09:08   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I've got some ideas brewing for some group photos, which could look pretty good if we can get all the boats together or even rafted up.
If we wanted some taken from shore, so they include everyone, there are a couple of really good photographers on the island.

Would you or Matt be prepared to be the Jersey organiser? With so many boats potentially coming up the way this year it might be good to have a definitive list of contact details and make firm plans for departure and route.
Old 18 January 2011, 09:16   #145
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Sounds good I hope some of them will exclude everything except Ospreys!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
If we wanted some taken from shore, so they include everyone, there are a couple of really good photographers on the island.
That looks like a good option too, I'm sure they'd oblidge if we let them come with one of us around the island
Quote:
Would you or Matt be prepared to be the Jersey organiser? With so many boats potentially coming up the way this year it might be good to have a definitive list of contact details and make firm plans for departure and route.
I wouldn't be sure if there will be any going via Jersey tbh. we won't unless those we're in company with want to, or unless Matt is joining us. The issue with the French is they can't go more than 6 miles from a shelter. The two places where French water only extends out six miles is to Echrous (12m from coast so always 6miles from shelter) and at Alderney itself, like we did in our Pro a few years ago. They may all launch from Carteret or something, there's already one provisionally coming from there and joining us en route.

Also the possibility that my Physics teacher (he also built some of the London underground) will be in Guernsey around this time, and he may be willing to have a run up for a night or a just a few hours. The SB&R crew seem intent on doing their own thing at the moment, I don't think they heeded Tim's warning to divide the current numbers by 3
Old 18 January 2011, 09:26   #146

Quote:
I was certainly thinking some photos from the shore. Perhaps from Tete de Judemare with Les Etacs in the background might be good, and also possibly from Essex Hill with Raz and the Race beyond. Someone with a half decent camera would be fine. I'm sure one of my parents would do it for us.

Quote:
I'm sure we can sort something out. My departure times are quite flexible, so I will choose the best weather and tide window to come up, which won't necessarily coincide with everyone else though.
Old 18 January 2011, 09:39   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
I hope some of them will exclude everything except Ospreys!!
Maybe my next boat should be an Osprey, that way I can join your club
Old 18 January 2011, 10:05   #148
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Maybe my next boat should be an Osprey, that way I can join your club
I agree

I do offer a club discount on new boats, but you already have to be in the club to obtain it.....

*for anyone reading this, this is a joke, I don't offer deals!*
Old 18 January 2011, 10:51   #149

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
I agree

I do offer a club discount on new boats, but you already have to be in the club to obtain it.....
Club?? I thought it was an "Association"
Old 18 January 2011, 11:05   #150

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Joka-Tu
Make: Monterey
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
The SB&R crew seem intent on doing their own thing at the moment, I don't think they heeded Tim's warning to divide the current numbers by 3
Oh yes we did If anything the numbers are increasing but I'm well aware of the unreliability of people once the event gets closer.

Nothing against you guys it's just the feeling is that part of the fun is the planning and getting there under our own steam rather than tagging along. If we end up going to one of the other islands the same weekend we'll try to run past and say hello, otherwise I'm sure, and hope, we'll cross paths sometime during the year.

We're also working on a long weekend based around Poole early August so if anyone is around give me a shout. The plans will be developing on the sb&r forum over the coming months. Otherwise look out for me around the Solent during the year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundtheislandphotos260610035.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	56578  
Old 18 January 2011, 11:28   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaboat View Post
Nothing against you guys it's just the feeling is that part of the fun is the planning and getting there under our own steam rather than tagging along.
There is no danger of tagging, I have tried wrangling these lot and herding cats is one of the kinder expressions.

And yes, I went and did it. I signed up to SBnR! I am so weak.
Old 18 January 2011, 12:50   #152

Quote:
Nothing against you guys it's just the feeling is that part of the fun is the planning and getting there under our own steam rather than tagging along.
I couldn't agree more. Part of the pleasure of owning a boat is being independant and having the ability do what you want when you want. I think what Oliver and others are getting at, is that we are a good friendly community and we don't feel it is right for people to just quietly follow our thread and then turn up without having contributed anything to the communal planning process. I'm not suggesting for a minute that that is what is happening though, because you are obvioulsy a serious and dedicated bunch of boaties as well.
Old 18 January 2011, 12:57   #153
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
I think what Oliver and others are getting at, is that we are a good friendly community and we don't feel it is right for people to just quietly follow our thread and then turn up without having contributed anything to the communal planning process. I'm not suggesting for a minute that that is what is happening though, because you are obvioulsy a serious and dedicated bunch of boaties as well.
You have a way with words far more subtle than mine

It is a free world, but a massive amount of planning goes into this trip. I have a very minor role, but even just emailing the dutch and french about setting it all up takes quite a bit of time. For Martin it is a huge amount of work. Despite all the banter, we are a friendly lot (I think). I was just trying to make the point that when you've got ten boats in the frame to come then it all works great to go on your own, but when on the day three turn up you may be a little dismayed to have elected not to join us. And anyway, there's no tagging along, last year we had just as many "stiffys" as hard boats I think?

ATB
Old 18 January 2011, 13:03   #154

Quote:
Yup. Lessons learnt from watching others make a tit of themselves .
Old 18 January 2011, 13:12   #155
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Yup. Lessons learnt from watching others make a tit of themselves .

P.S. For anyone interested, here is the album of pics from last year. The Dutch and French both seemed quote turned onto the idea when they'd seen how much fun we had

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
Old 18 January 2011, 13:53   #156

Quote:

It is a free world, but a massive amount of planning goes into this trip. I have a very minor role, but even just emailing the dutch and french about setting it all up takes quite a bit of time. For Martin it is a huge amount of work.
All points well made and if I've offended anyone I apologise. It certainly was not intended. I am fully aware of how much goes into planning such events and, were we to join you, we would make our impact as light as possible by both helping with the planning and effort and by being self dependant. As it is, the concensus from our lot is tending towards independance, mostly as it is the first channel crossing for most and the sense of acheivement will be much greater for them if they make it work for themselves.

Quote:
Despite all the banter, we are a friendly lot (I think).
From what I've seen on here I'm sure you are all perfectly friendly, nothing wrong with banter, it's a sign of a healthy forum If you want some real antagonism have a look on the YBW forums, blimey, knives drawn as soon as a post is made

Anyway, as I said earlier I'm sure we will cross paths at some stage, with a merry wave and hopefully a beer somewhere.
Old 18 January 2011, 14:02   #157

Quote:
if I've offended anyone I apologise
Anyone that is easily offended went off in the huff ages ago, probably to the YBW forum as you say

You have total flexibility, if the other dates dont pan out or the numbers drop for some unknown reason you can always bundle in. Nothing is in stone until the short-range weather forecasts come in anyway.

I am quite happy to do what I can from here in any case, the more cruises the better!
Old 18 January 2011, 14:07   #158
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
What Mart said. No offence taken, it's just I think we're trying to avoid what happend last year in one instance. And I'm definitly not trying to stop you doing it yourselves, just asking you not to rock up randomly on the day if you do join us
Old 18 January 2011, 14:14   #159

Quote:
and, were we to join you, we would make our impact as light as possible
I'm hoping you will join us. Maybe to keep your independance you might elect to travel down on a different day. You'll get a warm welcome whether it's Alderney or Jersey that you visit (sorry can't speak for Guernsey but I'm sure they'd be friendly too in their own way ). If nothing more, there will be lots of like minded people to talk to and discuss the crossing over a beer.
Old 18 January 2011, 14:20   #160

Quote:
What Mart said. No offence taken, it's just I think we're trying to avoid what happend last year in one instance. And I'm definitly not trying to stop you doing it yourselves, just asking you not to rock up randomly on the day if you do join us
Fair do's.
If we do turn up on the day we'll bring plenty of beer as compensation