Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 February 2011, 10:51   #181
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Joka-Tu
Make: Monterey
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Don't worry, once you're old enough to do the RYA Powerboat course you'll learn about how tides aren't only important to sail boaters
Not much point, he's young enough to know everything isn't he?
__________________

__________________
jokaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2011, 10:57   #182
Member
 
Paul Cannell's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Length: 7m +
MMSI: 235085136
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaboat View Post
Spot on, we've finally completed deliberating all the options. I believe that we're all crossing on the Friday and returning Sunday. The next deliberations are whether we all camp or try to get into B&Bs. Someone mentioned herding sheep earlier

Herding cats is how Martin described trying to organise RibNobbers

Really looking forward to it now and especially meeting you guys on the water and over a couple (or more) beers.
Mmm beers you're very welcome

I'll pop over when there's anything significant to add. We haven't looked into passage planning in detail yet but wil probably form an independant flottilla (mind you getting tides etc right probably means we'll be crossing much the same time anyway).
I'll be launching from Lee on Solent or Warsash depending on conditions so will probably see you on the way to the Needles SWM
__________________

__________________
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2011, 11:13   #183
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaboat View Post
We haven't looked into passage planning in detail yet but wil probably form an independant flottilla (mind you getting tides etc right probably means we'll be crossing much the same time anyway).
As I mentioned over the way there, timing your arrival is in my mind pretty key. Not only because the waters around Alderney can be exciting, but also you don't want to hit the Sailing Club bar too early or too late.

You will of course check the figures with your own sources, but as an indication...

On Friday the 22nd of July

HW Cowes 04:40 3.7m
LW Cowes 10:00 1.6m

HW Braye 12:10 5.0m
LW Braye 18:30 2.1m

For Alderney those are mid way between neaps and springs. We do not get what most recognise as slack water, but what passes for such is two to two and half hours after high and low waters. So good arrival time, in terms of tide/beer coefficient might be 14:30.

Tim is organising two groups, an early departure for craft anticipating a crossing speed of 20-25kn and a later one for 30-35kn boats. I believe (cue TG).

It might be likely that there will be the SBnRers grouping up at the Needles SWM around 10:00. TG1 at about 11:00 and TG2 at noonish?
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2011, 11:24   #184
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Joka-Tu
Make: Monterey
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 107
We'll be more 25 than 35knots, if we can rein in the Hunton If we miss optimum time are we better to be early or late?

That being the case we'll probably see the 11:00 lot then. We'll keep an eye out.

I'll watch out for you Paul

D'oh, of course cats not sheep

We're mostly starting from Southampton but picking one up from the Hamble and one is coming from Poole so will meet up at sea somewhere.
__________________
jokaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2011, 11:35   #185
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaboat View Post
We'll be more 25 than 35knots, if we can rein in the Hunton If we miss optimum time are we better to be early or late?
Depends on the wind on the day really. The flood tide runs NE and the ebb SW, obviously with lots of local anomalies!

If the wind is from the NE on the day then you will probably find yourselves pulling back a little, under this scenario arriving late would not be a bad thing as the start of the ebb will flatten the areas north of the island out a little. Probably.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2011, 12:48   #186
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
You'll only really need to worry about the tides and their direction if the wind is more than a F3 against the tide. Otherwise, with either lower wind speeds or a different wind direction, it's not really as bad as you may be fearing.

I think Gotchiguy is still of the age and mindset that the rougher it is the more fun it is. He hasn't suffered a back injury or broken boat yet to curtail his enthusiasm.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2011, 11:16   #187
Trade member
 
tim griffin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post

You will of course check the figures with your own sources, but as an indication...

On Friday the 22nd of July

HW Cowes 04:40 3.7m
LW Cowes 10:00 1.6m

HW Braye 12:10 5.0m
LW Braye 18:30 2.1m

For Alderney those are mid way between neaps and springs. We do not get what most recognise as slack water, but what passes for such is two to two and half hours after high and low waters. So good arrival time, in terms of tide/beer coefficient might be 14:30.

Tim is organising two groups, an early departure for craft anticipating a crossing speed of 20-25kn and a later one for 30-35kn boats. I believe (cue TG).

It might be likely that there will be the SBnRers grouping up at the Needles SWM around 10:00. TG1 at about 11:00 and TG2 at noonish?
HW Dover 1618 on the 22nd so with a Southwesterly and a Flood tide in the channel we will have preetty smooth crossing so a departure of around 1200 ish should give a nice tide beer coefficient .
Both groups can set off at the same time those that arrive first buy the beer of course
__________________
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2011, 11:56   #188
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
Both groups can set off at the same time those that arrive first buy the beer of course
Superb, lets say 20 quid behind the bar on arrival
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2011, 12:26   #189
Member
 
Paul Cannell's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Length: 7m +
MMSI: 235085136
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Superb, lets say 20 quid behind the bar on arrival
As you're the closest!!
__________________
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2011, 12:28   #190
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cannell View Post
As you're the closest!!
Oh pooh sticks! Ran into that one

Erm, left my wallet in Southampton?
__________________

__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.