Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
In terms of tides for arrival in Braye...

Sat 27th:
HW 1025 5.9m
Slack Water 1300
LW 1700 1.1m
Slack Water 1930

The approach in from the north is good, plenty of scope for tide.
SHHHH
Dont give em the answer
Old 19 June 2009, 12:35   #62

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
As I think I said, we are only going if it's really nice weather. By what day do we need to make a decision?

Or are you hardy RIBers going whatever it's like?

Andy
Old 20 June 2009, 07:04   #63

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
As I think I said, we are only going if it's really nice weather. By what day do we need to make a decision?

Or are you hardy RIBers going whatever it's like?

Andy

I think everybody has some fairly tight weather criteria, with a particular sensitivity to the notorious NE'ly. (Though there is a good anchorage with shelter from the NE in Longis Bay.)

The weather at the moment is looking good, but of course too far out to be sure:

http://www.alderneymarine.com/weather.html
Old 20 June 2009, 11:38   #64

I dug out this aerial photo and have added they same points as in the surface view posted earlier in the thread. The yellow areas are the visitor's mooring buoys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Braye.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	43431  
Old 20 June 2009, 22:48   #65

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
My wife and I would love to join the cruise with Grimalkin out of Poole and will take whatever weather provided the crossing should be no more than three hours. Any longer than that and we may rethink. Like Andy Moore, we have also booked a room at the Braye Beach Hotel.

Tides prevent us being able to exit Parkstone Bay Marina in Poole between 7.00 and 10.20am on 27 June but by exiting at 10.20am could make the Fairway Buoy (assuming you mean the Needles Fairway Buoy!) for 11.00am which would be fine for arrival in Alderney at slack water (2.00pm) but might mean pushing lunch a bit tight.

Our alternative is an early rise at 6.00am to exit the marina before 7.00am and can then make the Fairway Buoy any time from 7.00am onwards. I calculate that an 8.30am RV at the Fairway Buoy would give an ETA in Alderney of 11.30am (HW approximately) and allow time for a refuel before lunch and also give the benefit of the flatter morning sea. (All times BST rather than UCT)

Given that the idea is of going as a group, we are however happy to fit in with everyone else.

What plans are there and is there a full list of those coming? Do restaurants need to be booked? If so and we're eating together, which?
Old 21 June 2009, 07:22   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
...provided the crossing should be no more than three hours.

Tides prevent us being able to exit Parkstone Bay Marina in Poole between 7.00 and 10.20am on 27 June but by exiting at 10.20am could make the Fairway Buoy (assuming you mean the Needles Fairway Buoy!) for 11.00am.

What plans are there and is there a full list of those coming? Do restaurants need to be booked? If so and we're eating together, which?
The planned crossing speed is I believe 25 kn, the straight line distance is 60 nm so the crossing should take about 2 1/2 hours.

Tim has asked everyone to email him a passage plan based on a rendezvous point of the Needles safe water mark, I imagine he will then pick a departure time that fits the majority of the plans.

There is an excellent fish and chip restaurant (BYO) that would be a good budget choice, the legendary First and Last has also been mentioned. In any event beer part one is likely to be in the Sailing Club, to be found adjacent the HM Office.
Old 21 June 2009, 08:13   #67

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Avocet
Thanks for that I have emailed you back .

Malthouse is quite right I am pretty flexible on departure times within reason we are not going into the swinge or the race so no need to base slack water on those .

Slack water is around 1300 DST Alderney so arriving 1330 or a little later is not a problem .

as not too much tide flowing . VHF CH 72 for coms

We have some jetskiers coming 6 last time I spoke 2 hard boats Sunseeker 40
and Botnia Targa 30

Stingher rib 6.9
Ocean 8.0
ribeye 7.5
Jabs Ribeye 7.5
Biffer's 8m
Andy More
Yourself
Mick Balch (maybe)
and the Ventures search and Rescue with there Delta 9m
Fish and chips would be good for lunch and we could all meet up chat and make it informal .

Beer in Yacht club excellent idea various B and B's where people are staying people can mooch around or do there own thing or stay as a group.

Departure time next day is pretty open to discussion as I have some people who need to be back by no later than 1600 the next day .

Weather is looking good for the moment winds light wave height 0.25 metre some times 1.00 m.

It is down to the skipper of the vessel if they go or stay and the skipper should have a passage plan cts and so on and reserve fuel .
Passports required ICC (maybe) insurance docs (maybe ) VHF CERT .Charts

If you cover all bases then no problems should arise with the Harbour Master.

Malthouse is a legend for all information he has put on the web Mainbrace also.

Looking foward to meeting new faces having fun and chilling out no pressure on me as it's my weekend off.

We go as a group look out for each other and have fun .
If it goes well then we can organise other trips or make it an annual event .
If any one want to chat then call me on the mobile.

As day off today
Tim
Old 21 June 2009, 17:00   #68

Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Those coming on the cruise should remember (as posted elsewhere on this site) that Alderney is outside the European Union. This has two consquences:

1. You need to fill and deliver to H M Revenue and Customs prior to dearture Part 1 of their Form C1331 which can be dowloaded from: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000428

Upon re-entering UK territorial waters (3 miles offshore) upon our return, we need to fly the Q flag (plain yellow) until phoning H M Revenue and Customs once in port and obtaining clearance and their confirmation that it may be lowered. Part 2 of their Form C1331 should then be delivered to the Customs office or box to which you delivered Part 1.

2. Following expiry of the reciprocal health agreement between the UK and Channel Islands last April health treatment in Alderney for UK nationals is no longer necesarily free. Although emergency treatment will be given, it may be charged for and health insurance is strongly recommended for all visitors.
Old 22 June 2009, 19:27   #69

Early days, but I just got a forecast for Sat:

F2.
Old 22 June 2009, 19:33   #70
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Hi All
My son (age 11) and I are hoping we can join you for the run to Alderney this weekend in our 6.5m Ballistic. Is anyone camping or is everyone B&B or hoteling? We haven't booked accomodation yet so we may have no choice!

Tim - is it too late to join the run?

Thanks . Trevor
Old 22 June 2009, 20:17   #71

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Trevor
We are Camping, havant booked the camp site but i would think it wont be that croward yet
Tim are all welcombe as i see you have posted a list of people comming
Roy
Old 22 June 2009, 23:03   #72

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Alderney

Tim et al, Ive managed to get a pass for this weekend, so WP I will be coming to join you at the Needles Fairway Mark for 1100. Will send you PP by email for your scrutiny.

Can you confirm what the plans will be if someone has a breakdown that renders their vessel not going anywhere quick, who will be putting hands up to assist and go back / tow if required? Any thoughts on this?

Is the idea to moor or berth / raft at Braye?

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday.

Oh by the way happy to take a passenger / navigator in return for a small fuel contribution leaving from Hayling Island at 0900 approx? Let me know!
Old 23 June 2009, 06:46   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyLizzy View Post
Hi All
My son (age 11) and I are hoping we can join you for the run to Alderney this weekend in our 6.5m Ballistic. Is anyone camping or is everyone B&B or hoteling? We haven't booked accomodation yet so we may have no choice!

Tim - is it too late to join the run?

Thanks . Trevor
I can see some confusion with boat names!

There are still rooms available of either guest house or hotel flavour, if you have any trouble send me an email.

Is there a consensus re the evening meal? A newly opened and well reputed hotel/restaurant has offered to do three courses for a tenner - sounds like a goer to me.
Old 23 June 2009, 07:22   #74

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Malthouse,

We are up for three courses for a tenner!

Two on our rib.

Thanks.
Old 23 June 2009, 13:06   #75

Insurance Non coastal waters

Can anyone offer some assistance on this.

Planning the Alderney trip like a military exercise and my bloody insurance company insist
on the following.

Minimum two persons on board
Spare engine

If not no insurance cover. exsisting policy 19.5k value annaul fee £221 Haven Knox Johnston.

Checked with Noble Insurance nominal one off fee for the weekend if I change my annaul policy to them. £19k value 10 years no claims, annual fee £291 plus £52 top up for the Alderney trip £400 excess plus travel with 10 other vessels, seems ok to me, any other suggestions??
Old 23 June 2009, 15:09   #76
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
Can anyone offer some assistance on this.

Planning the Alderney trip like a military exercise and my bloody insurance company insist
on the following.

Minimum two persons on board
Spare engine

If not no insurance cover. exsisting policy 19.5k value annaul fee £221 Haven Knox Johnston.

Checked with Noble Insurance nominal one off fee for the weekend if I change my annaul policy to them. £19k value 10 years no claims, annual fee £291 plus £52 top up for the Alderney trip £400 excess plus travel with 10 other vessels, seems ok to me, any other suggestions??
Hi Mick - I'm with Euromarine Insurance - Rib value £26K, 5+ years no claims, Policy includes 30 days European holiday cover (we use the RIB in France for the summer), INCLUDES occasional trips to the Channel Islands at no extra cost - when I took out the policy I said I was going to do some trips with Biboa and RibNet as a group and they said they would make sure the cover included this. Boat is kept at home & needs Wheel Clamp, Hitch lock and to be chained to something solid (not sure where you keep yours). Normal price £265.94, I get a discount as a member of Biboa of 10% so Net cost £241.56. May be worth a try.
Trevor.
Old 23 June 2009, 15:11   #77
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
I can see some confusion with boat names!

There are still rooms available of either guest house or hotel flavour, if you have any trouble send me an email.

Is there a consensus re the evening meal? A newly opened and well reputed hotel/restaurant has offered to do three courses for a tenner - sounds like a goer to me.
Thanks - we've now booked a room at the Hotel offering the meal deal.
We're up for a meal for a tenner - two places please!
See you at the weekend.
Trevor
Old 23 June 2009, 15:32   #78

Insurance

Hi Mick - I'm with Euromarine Insurance - Rib value £26K, 5+ years no claims, Policy includes 30 days European holiday cover (we use the RIB in France for the summer), INCLUDES occasional trips to the Channel Islands at no extra cost - when I took out the policy I said I was going to do some trips with Biboa and RibNet as a group and they said they would make sure the cover included this. Boat is kept at home & needs Wheel Clamp, Hitch lock and to be chained to something solid (not sure where you keep yours). Normal price £265.94, I get a discount as a member of Biboa of 10% so Net cost £241.56. May be worth a try.
Trevor.

Thanks for this information, just called them very helpful!
Old 23 June 2009, 17:12   #79

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Looks like this trip is gathering a bit of steam now! Forecast is for F2 in our area for the weekend, fingers crossed it stays like that

I will probably head up there just for the day, looking forward to meeting fellow ribnetters from the wrong side of the Channel
Old 23 June 2009, 17:16   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyLizzy View Post
Thanks - we've now booked a room at the Hotel offering the meal deal.
We're up for a meal for a tenner - two places please!
See you at the weekend.
Trevor
Which hotel?