Old 24 October 2013, 21:13   #181

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
TBH .. I bet theres a shed load of us that have gone vertical at some point .. I know I have, in 5.8 and 6.5 M boats .. always getting a blast of wind under the hull whilst airborn .... I dont see why it needs to be turned into a special thread cos.. you'll never predict the exact moment when that sort of thing happens. If you want to push the envelope in a safe boat like a RIB you know your doing it for the thrill .. and good on ye .. I love it too... at times .. but its like everything else .. if you push the envelope .. your going to have to deal with the consequences

Enjoyed many comments on this thread which I had not read much since page 3 a while back .. Well done to rescue crew .. matth calm down fella Mollers .. ya gettin old fella .. just like me
Old 24 October 2013, 21:21   #182
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I don't see why it needs to be turned into a special thread
Because every so often someone comes along and says "how easy is it to flip a rib" and "if I capsize how do I get it back". Nobody is ever going to find this thread by searching and even if pointed this way they've got 90% of drivel to dig through before they find the interesting bits.
Old 24 October 2013, 21:54   #183

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Because every so often someone comes along and says "how easy is it to flip a rib" and "if I capsize how do I get it back". Nobody is ever going to find this thread by searching and even if pointed this way they've got 90% of drivel to dig through before they find the interesting bits.
Well that's your world here fella ... Life's tough when you have to miss the bake off final due to a spark plug or roll over debate
Old 25 October 2013, 07:58   #184

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I hate to admit this but I'm with Poly on this one, in all my years I've never seen a vid of a righting that wasn't staged, there is a wealth of information to be gleaned from this
Old 25 October 2013, 09:58   #185

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
AJ and long john are the ones with the righting on film. :-)
Old 25 October 2013, 11:39   #186
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
Video back on.....play nice.

Old 25 October 2013, 12:22   #187

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
and mine

http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id..._jhPg&o=U&ns=1
Attached Files
Old 25 October 2013, 12:24   #188

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Couldn't see either of them on my ipad
Old 25 October 2013, 12:36   #189

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
It looked like you were having a fantastic time. Loved the bit where you ducked under the windscreen

1. Was Matt's jump on video where he was close to vertical on reentry the one that caused the missfire? Do we know if the powerhead got totally submerged?

2. How much did the lower sponson need to be deflated by?

3. I noticed Matt climbed onto the hull near the stern, but later was pulling from much nearer the bow. Where was the best spot to right from?

4. How did you drain the water out the powerhead and get it going again?

This is a fabulous video and we can all learn so much from it. Looked like a textbook recovery. Credit to all present for looking after each other and dealing with the capsize in a professional and seaman like fashion.

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2013, 12:40   #190

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Motor didn't run again till boat was recovered at Calshott - rinsed with fresh water - plugs removed and any ingested water expelled - loads of WD40
Old 25 October 2013, 12:45   #191

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Motor didn't run again till boat was recovered at Calshott - rinsed with fresh water - plugs removed and any ingested water expelled - loads of WD40
How do you expel the ingested water? Is it as simple as tuning her over with the plugs removed?

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2013, 12:50   #192

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
How do you expel the ingested water? Is it as simple as tuning her over with the plugs removed?

Chris
Got to love a 2 stroke - simple fix - no oil in the head to worry about ! I'm sure there was some liberal application of fresh water, then some oil in various places - plugs back in & purring away like a kitten...

Speaking to Matt he has been over the motor this week to ensure all is fine again

Same concept as RNLI OBs- drain all the water, turn it over , plugs in and off you go !
Old 25 October 2013, 12:51   #193
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

My answers are in your questions

Quote:
It looked like you were having a fantastic time. Loved the bit where you ducked under the windscreen

1. Was Matt's jump on video where he was close to vertical on reentry the one that caused the missfire? Do we know if the powerhead got totally submerged?

Looking at my higher quality version before you tube recks it yes there was water coming from round the engine on that jump. From recollection this was my final pass over the waves and brief stop chatting to Avocet before we noticed Matt upside down.

Not a lot the weight of the boat upside down let the air out quickly

3. I noticed Matt climbed onto the hull near the stern, but later was pulling from much nearer the bow. Where was the best spot to right from?

The break in footage was no more than 6 seconds from getting on at the stern to walking further up the boat and getting the rope. That was the first attempt to turn it over

Matt and Whisper are best placed to answer this as they were there the rest of us bobbed about at Calshott waiting to get on it at Cowes

This is a fabulous video and we can all learn so much from it. Looked like a textbook recovery. Credit to all present for looking after each other and dealing with the capsize in a professional and seaman like fashion.

Chris
Old 25 October 2013, 13:18   #194

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
I wasn't there until after the wave jumping and capsize as AJ picked me up from Lyminton while the 4.7 was being towed back to Calshot.

We caught them up as they made good time in towing it back so I grabbed Matts car keys (luckily they were in AJ's pocket) and went on to Calshot.

By the time they had got back I had the car and trailer on the slip ready to recover

Pulled it straight out and to one of the hoses at Calshot where we washed down the engine, removed the plugs, filled the bores with oil and then blew out what was inside by turning it over, we repeated this several times, dried the plugs and then refitted them. Reconnected the fuel line and she started up.

Power tilt and trim was going up and down on it's own so we disconnected the trim motor and then disconnected the battery (which was dry) parked her up and then we were off to Cowes for the night
Old 25 October 2013, 13:21   #195

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:

Chris
It was a large jump that wetted the power head ever tho i had prepped every connection and electronic component that needed protection. I assumed all to be pretty failure proof . All my yams have been in the situation before and never a misfire or hickup.
I ducked underneath and looking up through there was ample space to visually undo air cap. What was a bit unervy was as i was letting the air out the deck was lowering on to me so changed to the other side. Then shut the valves off for fear of water being sucked into tube which none did.

I let the toobs down 3/4 capacity to make the roll easier.

The rope i was hangin on to was the bow line fed throught the life line rope half way down the toob to give me angle of pull for a re roll.
I got on the hull from the stern as was easier as lower in the water.
Witha bit of help from the boys on the bouyant side lifting it went back over quite easily.
Old 25 October 2013, 13:23   #196

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
I used to race 2 stroke enduro motorcycles and regularly drown them in rivers in Wales - we would turn them upside down, kick them over a few times and then continue. When we got home we would change the gbox oil.

Cant say Id do that with a 4 stroke.
Old 25 October 2013, 13:24   #197
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Couldn't see either of them on my ipad
Sorry Biffer the problem is you tube and I used copyright music. You can view on a PC by clicking the link into you tube or viewing via the embedded link on rib net by clicking on the picture of the video.

Unfortunately due to the way adverts are displayed on mobile devices like iPads and smart phones they block viewing