Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
on my long trips i take double what i need.....

Aye! Better looking at it than looking for it[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 13:56   #22

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Is this the old auxilary outboard chestnut ?

It funny how some posters in the past have got their nickers in a right twist when a certain item is omitted from a kit list, yet on this thread the same people haven't even raised an eye brow................ maybe the Xmas spirit has arrived

To the OP, sounds like your pretty clued up on the basics, have a fun and safe trip

Oh, Merry Xmas to all
Old 11 December 2019, 17:25   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
OP - the estimates of a 20kt average are probably spot on for weather good enough to go. Weather and tide are a big part of what makes a trip like this enjoyable. Go when the weather is good for 48 hours, use the forecasting sites to get wave heights and plan the times around tides - wind against tide in the channel can be a PITA. I'm guessing that your TOTAL mileage is 92, not each leg? Puts you out of either Malin or the inner Foyle? I make the trip from the Swilly, so get the joys of the Malin sea thrown in as well...

We took an SR4 deluxe from Greencastle to Port Ellen one year - total fog out first and later a F4/5. Interesting day and I was covering this in a 6.5m
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Made it!.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	131731  
Old 11 December 2019, 18:48   #24

Town: Varna
Make: Adventure
Engine: Honda EF 50
If its possible its good idea to have spare propeller
Old 11 December 2019, 19:03   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin View Post
If its possible its good idea to have spare propeller
He won't need it for that trip - there aren't any rocks. Unless he hits Islay on arrival.
Old 11 December 2019, 20:20   #26

Town: Crieff
Boat name: No Name
Make: Humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: Single Volvo inboard
Re-fuelling stop

Hi,
Have you considered keeping close to the coast for the first part of the journey and calling into Portrush to refuel. That would save carrying extra weight, give you a chance to stretch your legs and have a pee, as well as the safety aspect of carrying jerry cans. The crossing to Port Ellen would then be a little more than 30 miles.
Old 11 December 2019, 22:32   #27

Town: Co. Donegal
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Mercury 90hp 2-str
The trip would be about 92 nm one way, starting in The Rosses.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions!

Will plan for 20 kts and possibly a refuelling stop in NI on the way. PLB also a very good idea as well as drogue anchor. Manual compass will be on board too. No sure how to handle maps as very little room/shelter available on board though.

Will also make sure to leave room for taking a small barrel of Ardbeg on the way back. ��
Old 11 December 2019, 22:57   #28

Good to think about fuel transfer at sea, too. Perhaps I’ll just take a few additional fuel tanks to “plug and go”.
Old 11 December 2019, 23:30   #29

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
These are the bare minimum legal requirements we have to have onboard. Plb's don't cut it for us on on vessels and are recommended mostly for land use due to the lower battery life and the fact most don't float in the upright position ( I carry both simply because the boat legally requires an epirb and I own a plb for remote wilderness areas ).

I do carry a spare prop and lock nut. Also spare fuses, pull cord, lithium-ion portable jump starter, basic tools, pump and patches, sea anchor (drogue), fixed and handheld radios and compasses, gaffa tape, self amalgating tape, waterproof pencil and white board etc etc. use the help position if you do end up in the water as this doubles survival time due to heat loss.

Can't comment on your fuel needs as I don't know what sort of econamy you have but day trips I regularly do well beyond your daily voyage average 70lt with 4 bulky blokes chasing tuna from my 550 pro and a little yamf70 (200km+ in a day fishing offshore). It goes without saying pick a good weather window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 10.44.59 am.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	131739  
Old 12 December 2019, 05:37   #30

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Plb's don't cut it for us on on vessels and are recommended mostly for land use due to the lower battery life and the fact most don't float in the upright position ( I carry both simply because the boat legally requires an epirb and I own a plb for remote wilderness areas ).
That's interesting.

I guess that due to the distances involved in and around Aus, the 24 hour duration of a PLB possibly isn't enough.

The PLB is registered to a person and the EPIRB to a boat. If there is a possibility of different people being on the boat and / or different skipper, the EPIRB makes more sense.

Other differences include that PLB's don't necessarily float which EPIRB's have to and PLB's don't automatically activate which EPIRB's can do.

I think for the OP, a PLB will be more than adequate although read the instructions before you have to use it.

In the list, what is a V sheet? Is it a tarpaulin to act as a sun shade?

The rest of the list makes sense although many people seem to be swapping 'incendary' flares for LED ones.
Old 12 December 2019, 07:27   #31

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
<<<< many people seem to be swapping 'incendary' flares for LED ones.>>>>>
Having seen hand flares set off at close quarters I wouldn't have them on a rib.
Drowning or hypothermia both seem better ways to go than burning.
Old 12 December 2019, 09:34   #32
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
The trip would be about 92 nm one way, starting in The Rosses.
That's a much more ambitious trip than I had imagined - nice one.

It adds fatigue into the equation, along with a couple of headlands that are likely to give you a few miles of excitement. You will very likely have more swell to contend with on the western side of the trip - but you'll be used to that! My own choice would be to make Malin Harbour the rest and refuel stop - it's about 43 Nm shy of Port Ellen and a logical start for the cross channel hop. Personally I would NOT go to Portrush and then north - for a number of reasons that I will elaborate on later if you wish. Consider leaving cans of fuel with the fisherman's coop in Malin - they're decent sticks and would likely facilitate. I "think" that there is fuel in Malin village, but you'd need assistance from a vehicle. Make sure you swing by Inishtrahull on the way past - chat to me if you need advice about landing.

I have no idea about your experience "offshore" so don't be offended, this is for anyone reading the thread:

The water between Ireland and Islay is quiet - you might meet no-one and see only a tanker in the distance. It is riddled with markers for crab lines. It can be rough, or a millpond - the tide flow is high in places and if against wind - can result in very choppy conditions. If calm, fog can be an issue. In all but the best days, visibility will reduce and in the middle, you will be out of sight of land. Ability to steer to course is essential and you must trust your instruments. If you are in company and on the plane, it is VERY easy to lose the other vessel to fog, so you need a plan to stay together, maintain comms and reestablish contact should you get separated. The ability to continue alone to an agreed RV needs to be there. The route should be planned and written up as a reasonably decent passage plan and shared. Malin head CG can be contacted by VHF almost all the way to Islay so can be used to run a TR - closing by phone if necessary.
Old 12 December 2019, 09:36   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Having seen hand flares set off at close quarters I wouldn't have them on a rib.
That said, they're a standard inclusion on every liferaft, lifeboat and commercial vessel in the world. Someone seems to approve.

Old 12 December 2019, 11:55   #34

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That said, they're a standard inclusion on every liferaft, lifeboat and commercial vessel in the world. Someone seems to approve.

Drifting off thread but I think in a way that's the point.

They're "of an era" that didn't really consider the implication for small petrol powered inflatable boats and I'm going to speculate that, given the current technical options for summoning help, their universal inclusion might be due a review.

Regards how quite that area is, on our six hour return trip to Ballycastle and Rathlin a couple of weeks ago, the only other leisure boat we saw was a Redbay that turned up in the marina at Rathlin while we were there. Prior to that we were the only boat in the marina.
Old 12 December 2019, 12:55   #35

Hi willk,

Thanks for the info! Would not have expected the crab lines you mentioned. Why would you avoid Portrush?

Best,
A.
Old 12 December 2019, 13:50   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
Thanks for the info! Would not have expected the crab lines you mentioned. Why would you avoid Portrush?
A few reasons,

1. It's well out of your way and doesn't really take any of the risk out of the equation. It's a long way past your midway point but you still have the channel to cross.
2. The water between Malin and Portrush has overfalls at the midway and can be surprisingly turbulent - even on otherwise nice days. Inshore is shallow in places and all the usual stuff around estuaries happens - tide outflows and so on.
3. Portrush is a bit of a cluster###k IMHO. The alongside arrangements are poor and badly managed and the locals make you feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.

That said - you might decide to RTB via Rathlin and add another night. The Causeway coast is spectacular. I checked Malin village and there IS petrol above the beach at the PO/Pub. Not sure if they're still pumping but a call would sort that. Someone at the pub might run down to lift you if they knew there was the sale of 150L of petrol and lunches in it for them :-)

Also, FYI, due to the exceptional currents at Malin, a lot of the potters leave a VERY long tail on their lines - means you can give one a wide berth and still pick the line up. Have a good knife with a long reach handy. Be aware of the tidal flow when dodging pots. Also - do your best to avoid the Malin sea during the fast flowing times - use tables to calculate slackish water. It can be extremely unpleasant.
Old 12 December 2019, 14:41   #37

No fuel on Inishtrahull I suppose? I do like the idea of including Rathlin Island. It’s been absolute ages since I have been there!

A lot more planning and preparation is needed, but I’ll get there. Thanks again for all the info and pointing me in the right direction!
Old 12 December 2019, 14:46   #38
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Er, no-I certainly dont think so.
In fact, I am even amazed that you can land there!
My Google Earth Pro doesnt show any obvious landing place.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 14:51   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Following this thread with interest.

If you are thinking about refueling at Malin, my version of GEP shows the nearest filling station at Malin village is about 11 miles from the coastguard station, nearest shelter-bit of a trek with full jerry cans?
Still any port in a storm, what, what.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 15:20   #40
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
My Google Earth Pro doesnt show any obvious landing place.
Tuts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190629_155144.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	131744