Old 07 January 2018, 08:29   #81

Town: Southampton
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Was rather hoping the forecast changed for the better! Sadly not

I'm still heading out but may well be brunch in the Ketch Rigger (Hamble Point) rather than lunch in the Wheatsheaf

If I don't see you today, many thanks for organising David & hopefully third time lucky next year ��
Old 07 January 2018, 08:30   #82

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Obviously, each boat makes their own call on the day but I post a final List of Participants on the basis of information received.

In the absence of any feedback from the 'maybe' Poole participants, I'm assuming that they are a 'Go' and we will wait (for a short time at least!) off RYMC. Let me know if otherwise.

40 people seems like a lot to call to the pub but that's the current number: Poole boats (and Jetski) will, I suspect, have the hardest time getting there but will enjoy the trip home. The rest of you: intake lunch accordingly for your return!

Will look at the website around 9.30 to call in final numbers to the pub but after that (other than those who have my mobile number), we - all being well with us - will see those who make it: whatever boats are there are there!

CH8 for comms monitoring CH16.

Happy helming!

David
Toby, Sibbo90 and Paul bayliner are out ... the weather just didn't improve our way. Hope this meets your final deadline. Good luck today, Stuart.
Old 07 January 2018, 08:31   #83

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Forecast wind speed off The Needles now reduced to 24mph although only 16mph across Christchurch Harbour. Looking out of the window in Bournemouth, I can confirm that the promised sunshine is there (albeit very cold) and the wind appears light (although it will be stronger over the water). Grimalkin, however, is a definite 'Go'.

After allowing for those who have dropped out in the last few posts, I calculate 24 people and will phone this number through to the pub in due course.
Old 07 January 2018, 08:40   #84

http://www.newholmwoodhotel.co.uk/webcam/

Dead opposite Calshot ... annoyingly looks OK from this elevation, seems that a northerly wind is far less aggressive than a south westerly!?
Old 07 January 2018, 08:45   #85

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
We are launching at mercury as soon as we have enough water.
Old 07 January 2018, 08:45   #86

Far less aggressive: for most of the South Coast the north-easterly comes off the land and (inshore at least) the waves have no chance to build. The only exception is the Solent itself where a north-easterly blows straight down it. Southampton-Yarmouth should be fine today with the wind (and tide) behind. Yarmouth-Southampton (with the tide having turned) may be a little more challenging but it's only a short distance!
Old 07 January 2018, 10:48   #87

Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
I was down on Sandbanks beach an hour ago, and I felt my decision not to go was totally vindicated. Very lumpy and not much coastal shelter. I wouldn’t be keen to do that trip across the bay in the summer in those conditions let alone with the temp hovering around 5 degrees and significant wind chill. However I’m far less adventurous than some on here. I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Happy New Year. Oscar.
Old 07 January 2018, 11:20   #88

Town: West Sussex
7 ribs made it to Yarmouth. Details to follow later. The return will be more exciting [emoji106]
Old 07 January 2018, 11:24   #89

Not so sure if the Poole guys are coming
Old 07 January 2018, 11:33   #90

Town: Southampton
Make: XS
Well I made it further than last year which I guess is an achievement!

Decided to do a 180 near Beaulieu entrance. Couldn't get the thought of the return journey out of me head! I think my parting comment on the VHF of "this isn't for me" sums it up 😂

Hope everyone who made it has a safe & enjoyable time
Old 07 January 2018, 11:39   #91

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarguitar View Post
I was down on Sandbanks beach an hour ago, and I felt my decision not to go was totally vindicated. Very lumpy and not much coastal shelter. I wouldn’t be keen to do that trip across the bay in the summer in those conditions let alone with the temp hovering around 5 degrees and significant wind chill. However I’m far less adventurous than some on here. I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Happy New Year. Oscar.
Thats made me feel better about wimping out
And yes Happy New Year to all and a safe trip back to all that braved it
Old 07 January 2018, 12:14   #92

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Sounds like some of the poole guys have done a U turn. Sounds awesome out there.
Stay safe chaps
Old 07 January 2018, 15:59   #93

Sorry we didn't make it but we gave it a shot! The conditions were considerably worse than expected. We met up with Peter M as planned and headed out of Poole harbour past the ferry and into the Looe Channel where the waves started getting bigger. Half way along the Channel, Peter M (on a jetski) signalled that the waves were too big for him and turned back. We went another few hundred meters but with spray already coming over the boat in quantity and large breaking waves visible ahead in Poole Bay itself (not just the shore), we decided that Christchurch Bay would be worse and also turned round and headed back. The trip back into the harbour was a breeze but a similar trip back from Yarmouth would not have been worth the pain of getting there to enjoy it.

We, in fact, headed back through the harbour (the only boat on the water!) and up the river to Wareham for lunch and a couple of beers.

I trust that the crews that made it to Yarmouth enjoyed themselves and had a safe return journey. Will consider rescheduling if there is sufficient interest. Let me know.
Old 07 January 2018, 16:47   #94

Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
I love that run up the harbour with no speed limit. Now if I had know you were in Wareham I would have dropped in for a pint! I decided if I couldn’t go boating, I’d take the motorbike out and went to Bere Regis, Wool and Wareham then home.
Glad all back safe, it did look a little fresh out there!
Old 07 January 2018, 17:04   #95

All things considered I'm glad we chose to pull out ...Good news was the day wasn't completely wasted ...Toby and me took a run up the Thames from Richmond to Tower Bridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180107_140837.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	123107
Old 07 January 2018, 18:00   #96

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Well, now back at home after an "invigorating" day on the water - and nearly warm again

Absolutely the right decison no to venture out solo in Lunasea - in these winds even launching / recovering may have been beyond what was posssible, and managing those seas esp. on the way back would have sorely tested my helming skills

Very many thanks to Andre for allowing me to join him Paul, and Jack on Grey Mist - what a solid boat, great seakeeping - and inspired handling by Andre on both the way there and especially on the way back!

Well done to the other 6 crews who made it there and back, great to meet you all and yes, the Nachos did stay down on way back to SDS!

Looking forward to the next Ribnet run, but I hope in less challenging conditions.

Bob
Old 07 January 2018, 18:23   #97
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Looking out from the Haven at lymington whilst enjoying roast beef I was glad we decided not to go from Portsmouth. The Solent looked very bumpy and the Wightlink ferries had a lot of spray coming off the bows on the way back from Yarmouth.
I can’t belive how cold it felt too although that might be just me as not feeling that well and may have a slight temperature.
Well done all who made the trip.
Old 07 January 2018, 19:08   #98

Well another good day on the water and what a day it was. The conditions both ways were rough but the return was an experience and the second of similar conditions for Grey Mist. She did well.

Bob it was a pleasure to have you on board

Congratulations to those who made it a daring decision especially for the two 6.5 mtr ribs.

I have attached one photo taken by the GOPro accidentally when Bob was switching on to film.

I have looked at the GoPro footage and it is great so during the week I will do some editing and paste link

David many thanks for the organising only a pity that the weather prevented so many to come including your good-self. I think you should set an alternative date with suitable weather conditions

come on summer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0849.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	123108  
Old 07 January 2018, 19:13   #99

Town: Derby
Boat name: Jean-Marie
Engine: Mercury 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Well another good day on the water and what a day it was. The conditions both ways were rough but the return was an experience and the second of similar conditions for Grey Mist. She did well.

Bob it was a pleasure to have you on board

Congratulations to those who made it a daring decision especially for the two 6.5 mtr ribs.

I have attached one photo taken by the GOPro accidentally when Bob was switching on to film.

I have looked at the GoPro footage and it is great so during the week I will do some editing and paste link

David many thanks for the organising only a pity that the weather prevented so many to come including your good-self. I think you should set an alternative date with suitable weather conditions

come on summer!

A great day on the water and great company!

Look forward to seeing you all again soon

Regards

Iain ( with crew Dan, Karl and Chris)
Old 07 January 2018, 19:42   #100

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post

Thanks Andre!

Who says it was taken by accident?

I think you've already posted the best footage