Old 31 December 2013, 05:52   #71

Length: no boat
Lastly I meant to post - anyone who feels they do not wish to risk the weather is very welcome to come over on the Protector. The rib is on the pontoon right by the slip and the covers are on - so only light wet gear required. Departure to suit and will give the old bus a blast out to the Needles weather / time permitting.

Old 01 January 2014, 05:18   #72

Length: no boat
The latest weather is not looking good for the weekend. However there does look like an improving situation for the following weekend. Although a long way off its certainly looking better.

Any thoughts on delaying the run for a week

Old 01 January 2014, 06:06   #73

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I think we should make the decision a little closer. What ever is safer for everyone is best. but lets look at little nearer the time.
Old 01 January 2014, 08:34   #74

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Not haveing any real experience with weather (or boats) - what do you guys normally reckon is the aceptable maximum for windy boating ?

f4 or f5 ? Given my boat, what would you do ?
Old 01 January 2014, 08:43   #75

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
F4-5 is not too bad .its really down to each individual.. Longjohn and Avocet headed back in a oncoming force 9/10..
We could not make any movement forward in a F11. we were actually going backwards
Old 01 January 2014, 08:45   #76

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Not haveing any real experience with weather (or boats) - what do you guys normally reckon is the aceptable maximum for windy boating ? f4 or f5 ? Given my boat, what would you do ?
I always remember a saying told to me many years ago......

It's much better to be onshore wishing you were out on the boat than to be out on the boat wishing you were onshore!

If you have to think too hard then stay onshore....
Old 01 January 2014, 08:54   #77

RIBase
Good point Crusher, but Ive nothing to guage what I / my boat would find OK. I dont even know what a f5 looks like at sea. Im sat in the midlands with a RIB on the drive. All my limited boating has been in calm sunny conditions.

*googles RIB's in f5*
Old 01 January 2014, 09:33   #78

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
5-6 is fun and lively....7 -8 gets interesting and only really for those that know their boat quite well. 9+ is Avocet only time.......

However a huge amount can be down to direction of the wind and local geography...

I'd expect trimix boat to cope with 7-8 fairly well if needed. A quick blast from lymington to iow all inside the Solent should be easy...
Old 01 January 2014, 10:04   #79

RIBase
OK Pete, cheers. 5-6 is my limit then. For now.
Old 01 January 2014, 10:30   #80

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Trimax,

It's very hard for anyone on this board to comment on the performance of your boat as the bulk of experience here is with deep v hulls. Your boat is a very different proposition. I have been fortunate enough to go on it with you to the IOW (very impressive BTW) and despite having a RIB of the same length and mucking about in boats of every type for over 40 years I would be very hard pressed to give an option as to how your boat, being a cat, would handle the very nasty conditions short steep conditions that Poole Bay in a F6 and over, plus wind over tide would throw up.

I did some reading up on your boat after our trip out and (I could be wrong here) it seems that to benefit from the aero and aqua dynamics that your boat offers you need to be going 35 knots plus so it floats/glides over the rough stuff. To do that speed in those conditions in a deep V RIB would be pushing it to say the least. Usually 18-20 is about as good as it gets often less. Added to which you have a very broad bow and a tunnel and very limited ability to trim up (your boat does not lift it's bow, it's not designed to and certainly didn't when we tried it on the way to the IOW) so slamming and or stuffing become a real possibility.

Larger hard boat cats seem to be rated very highly in the USA for handling rough conditions so I could be totally out of order here but I would really advise caution before tackling the sort of conditions that we could have here on Sunday. You will get caught out soon enough, it happens to us all, but I wouldn't go looking for it just yet based on the opinions of others who don't necessarily understand the dynamics of your boat and your admitted lack of experience of those sort of conditions.

Hopefully the weather will be kind on Sunday or we will pick a better weekend as it would be great to meet up again soon.

Simon.