Old 26 November 2012, 21:47   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perroboy View Post
I am still up for it weather permitting!!!What sort of fuel capacity will we need.I can carry 70 litres. .
FWIW I can carry up to 82L "faff free", but consumption wise I'll have a good head start on you!

Quote:
Any more would involve a bit of a faff on Saturday strapping down another tank. 70l would probably do for Otter but not for a circumnavigation of Arran!!!As discussed Portavadie has fuel Tarbert does not any more!!! I have no info about Arran.
Arran as Jambo says . Both involve a slight walk - do you have portables or a jerry can? Other option I supopose is insted of a lap, straight down the sound & pull in at Campbeltown for lunch / refuel?

Plenty of options.
Old 27 November 2012, 08:41   #22

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
FWIW I can carry up to 82L "faff free", but consumption wise I'll have a good head start on you!

Arran as Jambo says . Both involve a slight walk - do you have portables or a jerry can? Other option I supopose is insted of a lap, straight down the sound & pull in at Campbeltown for lunch / refuel?

Plenty of options.
No probs!! I will have portables.I will fit my cruising prop for (slightly) better fuel. Weather looks ok at the mo!!
Old 29 November 2012, 19:10   #23

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
Hi guys, was thinking of tagging along with you guys on Sunday if that ok? I would launch and set off from Largs at same time as you 9D280 and am happy to go along with whatever you guys decide on destinations.

I just have a couple of bits and pieces to finish off on the boat tomorrow the should be good to go.

Jono
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2012, 21:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotSeats View Post
Hi guys, was thinking of tagging along with you guys on Sunday if that ok? I would launch and set off from Largs at same time as you 9D280 and am happy to go along with whatever you guys decide on destinations.

I just have a couple of bits and pieces to finish off on the boat tomorrow the should be good to go.

Jono
More the merrier!!!looking forward to it!!
Old 30 November 2012, 12:48   #25

OK, HEre is the plan:

I'll launch tomorrow evening, check everything is still working, and meet Jono at Largs marina for an estimated 8.45 dep.

Motor up towards Rothsay to meet AMac around 9, then round the top of Bute to meet Perroboy c. 9:30 (Assuming 20-ish Knots)

Then we figure out what to do next!

Met office looking promising, but the Beeb this morning had the front moving a bit faster & predicting snow! A day like today would be perfect.

I'll send you all a PM with my mobile, but as it will be in an inside pocket, don't expect an instant answer after about 08:45. I'll monitor CH 16 & 77 on the vhf, if you want to play with MMSI, that number is on the left, position requests are set to "auto reply".

So, all being well, see you all on Sunday morning.
Old 30 November 2012, 15:18   #26

All sounds good to me!!
Old 30 November 2012, 15:31   #27

I've just realised my first paragraph implies I'm meeting Jono at 20:30-ish tomorrow evening. I know I said I was keen to get out, but that should have read:

I'll launch tomorrow evening, check everything is still working, and meet Jono at Largs marina Sunday morning for an estimated 8.45 dep......

Old 30 November 2012, 15:36   #28

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
All sounds good to me. My inbox was full so didn't receive your PM i have cleared out my inbox now. I will send you a PM with my mobile just now anyway.

Seats all fitted in boat so good to go now! looking forward to it

Jono
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 20:45   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotSeats View Post
Seats all fitted in boat so good to go now! looking forward to it
My various "leaks"* suggest that Abhainn Rí is now a force to be reckoned with - you need to update your profile, btw.

* Those passengers that cadged a ride with you
Old 01 December 2012, 10:19   #30

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachments...4844a8b2e.html

Heres the view from my living room this am of the Kyles of Bute.Hope we get some of this tomorrow for the cruise.
Old 01 December 2012, 10:45   #31

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
http://s554.beta.photobucket.com/use...kyles.jpg.html

Heres the view from my living room this am of the Kyles of Bute.Hope we get some of this tomorrow for the cruise.
Aye typical Kyles species right enough!! Have a good one just jealous but take plenty photos so I can see my home territory.
Cheers
J a Rothesay boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 09:02   #32

Well, it didnlt quite go to plan, but by the sounds of things three out of the four of us had a good cruise..... just not together!

So, Hopefully Amac or Perro will be along to gve the "other half" story, but the "Largs launch" side goes a bit like this:

0815, I am driving my empty trailer up the slip as Scotseats arrives. 15 mins later both boats launched, engines warming up & ready to go. Very quickly found an intreresting problem with water separating fuel filters at -3, as Scotseats ground to a halt as his fuel line blocked with ice in the filter..... After a few attempts to get it flowing, we decided to split up, I would go meet the rest of the group & hopefully meet up at the bottm end of Bute later. So I headed off, and aimed for Rothsay. (AMac, I think I might have heard a shout on the VHF at that point?) Anyhow, the "big yellow rib" I was aiming for turned out to be that big ferry mooring, so after a shout on the VHF, I tried Phoning Perro, but no answer (this, it transpired was the beginnig of the phone curse and a good demo of why not to rely on a mobile on a boat.....)

So after a few mins of no reply & an MMSI poke I nailed it up the Eastern Kyle. Got to Tignabruach, no ribs, but I did spot a lobster fisherman, so I went and asked him if he had seen 2 ribs... "Yep, left 10 mins ago" he said,

Another WOT moment down the kWestern Kyle being chased by a Grey Porpoise and I got to Ardlamont Point, It was "Colin Baxter heaven" - Arran was in perfect silhoutette, apparently floating on the haze over the flat water. In the Kilbrannan Sound I could see a wake. I looked up Loch Fyne, and yes, you've guessed it, I saw another wake in the distance. Tried another VHF / MMSI / Phone shout. More radio silence. This also killed my phone (stoooopidly forgot to turn off the bluetooth whenn I got out the car, and presumbaly lack of signal it was "thrashing the network" looking for one & & the low temp didn't helop the battery. Anyhow, I decided that as we had talked about the Otter, I'd try that.

So, off up Fyne I went, sun warming my back all the way, and was joined by another (darker grey) porpoise for a few mins. Got to the Otter. Nobody. Thought ""good place to stop & get a bowl of soup or something hot to eat. Found that they didn't open 'till later, so meandered back with a wee diversion into the canal basin at Lochgilphead. With hindsight that was a bad move....

Decided I'd head for Tarbert and stop there for lunch. On appoach to the loch entrance, two wakes headed off in the genral directon of the Western Kyle... Another shoult on 16/77/ MMSI and no response, so I carried on into Tarbert. Found a kid in a wooden dinghy and asked if the two boats that left about 5 mins ago were...... Yep, two ribs, one bright yellow..... So, I then had my lunch, and decided as I had an hour & a half before I needed to be back that I would divert via Lochranza. Was stared at by a few seals who put their heads up above water as I motored down Fyne, had a wee play in the departing ferry wake and then aimed for Garroch Head. by this time the wind had got up, and put some waves into the game, nicely at about 30 degrees to my direction, so had a more interesing but still comfortable & dry drive back at 25 Knots.

Emptied my 2nd 30L tank about 1/4 mile from the marina, where I was out the water by about 3.30, found I couldn't flush engine or brakes due to the soid hose, and went home.

In total 82.3 nautical miles and as good as 60L of fuel. No photos, as my camera appers to have been droped once too often as I discovered when I thought "wake shot to beat all wake shots" and found it wouldn't even switch on....

Ignoring the camera & the frozen fuel filter, It was a fantastic day out.

Scotseats, did you ever get it fixed?

AMac, Perro, how did the other half of the cruise go?
Old 03 December 2012, 09:54   #33

RIBase
Well although a solitary experiences sounds a good day all considered! Comms is an issue you can do without. Pity your camera was off as it sounds as if there was some good opportunities.

Old 03 December 2012, 10:29   #34

Yeah, the comms side has even upped the replacement of my old back-up handheld in priority. Solent might be a different kettle of fish, but with Long Lochs surrounded by high mountains and sparse population it goes to show just how innefective mobiles can be.

I got the text from Scotseats saying "abandon trip" nearly 2 hrs after he sent it...

Meanwhile getting weather etc reports from Belfast Coastguard all day long regardless where I was.
Old 03 December 2012, 16:57   #35

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Yes it just goes to show .. the rest of the world are gibbering on about 4G and there are still loads of places in Scotland you cant even get a signal !

I'd have thought the VHF wouldn't have been much use in some upper reaches either ? but would you say you got on better with that ?.. Ive never really tested it in anger in that many places, on the routes you were on. Certainly up the North Minch & Summer Isles .. it doesnt seem take much land mass to give next to no signal at times ? .. I suppose its all transmitter related, and when truly coastal, if you are too far in , you're less likely to get comms when the land rises steeply .. I dunno ?
Old 03 December 2012, 17:27   #36

RIBase
In general I never really have any problems in my usual area around s of Jura up to Oban. But like everything else there are days when the gremlins strike either VHF or mobile. But good point Muz re the inequality of coverage across the UK!

Old 03 December 2012, 19:46   #37

Does the fact i didn't manage to call the others answer that? difference is with VHF the coastguard have transmitters where others can't reach..

Here is the one photo i got before my phone battery expired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121203_204511.png
Views:	246
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	74642
Old 05 December 2012, 09:23   #38

Well it was a great day to be on the water despite the comms problem!!! Most of last summer was a lot worse.

The loss of contact was due partly to the poor conditions for vhf transmission but mostly due to the fact my new smartphone decided to lock me out just when we got on the water!!!Its now back at Voda getting mended.

Anyway this is my first pathetic attempt at a video.Sorry for the poor quality but it was doing my head in just trying to edit it.It does not do the Go pro justice!!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/F_H8IuXD954
Old 05 December 2012, 09:29   #39

I need a new brain!!
Old 05 December 2012, 14:18   #40

I'm sure you just need a new phone!

Firewall here - will watch your side tonight......