Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 January 2007, 09:31   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: hampshire
Make: humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
thames trip

can you let me know where and what time you are meeting on sunday as hoping to join you at some point(back from spain sat eve). what is the plan for lunch
__________________

__________________
fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2007, 10:16   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
can you let me know where and what time you are meeting on sunday as hoping to join you at some point(back from spain sat eve). what is the plan for lunch
Hi, Looking down the thread, this is the latest I saw on start time:-


Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
Yes weather permitting we aim to leave Putney at around 1100 and count so far
__________________

__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2007, 10:36   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 129
Looks like I'm going to give this one a go, see you there.

Aqualegends
5.4m Searider 90 YAM
David & 1 (awaiting to here if my mate is up for being stupid enough to go out on an open boat in the wet windy weather)

Regards
D.

As shown on the Vrc web site for Putney
2007-01-21 3:15 AM GMT 7.05 meters High Tide

2007-01-21 7:54 AM GMT Sunrise

2007-01-21 11:06 AM GMT 0.27 meters Low Tide

2007-01-21 3:45 PM GMT 7.01 meters High Tide

2007-01-21 4:30 PM GMT Sunset

2007-01-21 11:25 PM GMT 0.68 meters Low Tide
__________________
_______________________________________
Diving is Life, the rest is just surface interval.
Nitrogen Narcosis is for Christmas -
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

_______________________________________
Narcosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2007, 15:05   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis View Post
Looks like I'm going to give this one a go, see you there.

Aqualegends
5.4m Searider 90 YAM
David & 1 (awaiting to here if my mate is up for being stupid enough to go out on an open boat in the wet windy weather)

Regards
D.

As shown on the Vrc web site for Putney
2007-01-21 3:15 AM GMT 7.05 meters High Tide

2007-01-21 7:54 AM GMT Sunrise

2007-01-21 11:06 AM GMT 0.27 meters Low Tide

2007-01-21 3:45 PM GMT 7.01 meters High Tide

2007-01-21 4:30 PM GMT Sunset

2007-01-21 11:25 PM GMT 0.68 meters Low Tide
Hmm, so which sources to trust?
The Almanac ties in with the 11:39 and 16:04 I posted before for low and high resp. on a spring.

Either way, a 11am launch as has been discussed on here before means a launch at low tide on a spring. Anyone any experience of this?

Wouldd a 10am launch time be better?
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2007, 17:42   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Hmm, so which sources to trust?
The Almanac ties in with the 11:39 and 16:04 I posted before for low and high resp. on a spring.

Either way, a 11am launch as has been discussed on here before means a launch at low tide on a spring. Anyone any experience of this?

Wouldd a 10am launch time be better?
Quick panic now, I have'nt trusted the VRC site before, so I have gone looking for other Tide Plotters on the net and I found the Admiralty Easytide Site
http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide...ictionLength=7
This one states the tide time for Albert bridge which is about 2.75m from Putney Bridge via the River and Mortlake is about 3.85m further upstream.
The results are a bit confusing, unless someone can shed light on where I am going wrong with my tide times....please.....

From Admiralty Easytide - Sun 21 Jan @ Albert Bridge
HW LW HW LW
03:25 11:02 15:57 23:08
5.9 m 0.2 m 6.1 m 0.4 m

From Admiralty Easytide - Sun 21 Jan @ Kew Bridge
HW LW HW
03:55 12:31 16:27
5.0 0.0 m 5.2 m

Neil, can't find my Almanac, so not to sure what to say re accuracy of the sites I have been using. Oh and yes I am for an earlier launch( more play time)
Regards
D.
__________________
_______________________________________
Diving is Life, the rest is just surface interval.
Nitrogen Narcosis is for Christmas -
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

_______________________________________
Narcosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2007, 02:47   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester, Oxford
Boat name: mach1
Make: avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp yamaha
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 177
guys, i launched at low tide a week ago on a wednesday. Had no probs got the local marina to launch on back of landrover for 12. came back at half tide again very easy.

weather on metoffice is looking good for sunday, sun 8deg and 13mph wind. espeacially considering the rest of the week..

look forward to seeing everyone
__________________
ian mcconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2007, 06:51   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcosis View Post
This one states the tide time for Albert bridge which is about 2.75m from Putney Bridge via the River and Mortlake is about 3.85m further upstream.
The results are a bit confusing, unless someone can shed light on where I am going wrong with my tide times....please.....

From Admiralty Easytide - Sun 21 Jan @ Albert Bridge
HW LW HW LW
03:25 11:02 15:57 23:08
5.9 m 0.2 m 6.1 m 0.4 m

From Admiralty Easytide - Sun 21 Jan @ Kew Bridge
HW LW HW
03:55 12:31 16:27
5.0 0.0 m 5.2 m

Neil, can't find my Almanac, so not to sure what to say re accuracy of the sites I have been using. Oh and yes I am for an earlier launch( more play time)
Regards
D.
Hi David,

By your easytide times (which I also use) and distances, I would trust the times I posted earlier, and not the VRC website times.

Here's my logic:-
Assume that the tide travels at the same speed along the river.
Total distance between Albert Bridge and Kew Bridge = 6.60 miles (approx).
Total time difference between low tide at two bridges is about 90 mins (12:31 vs 11:02)

So for every mile upstream from Albert Bridge, low tide should be 13.64 (90/6.6) minutes later than low tide at albert Bridge.

If Putney is 2.75 miles upstream of Albert Bridge, then it should have low tide about 37.5 minutes later than Albert Bridge, or about 11:40.

The VRC website is the only source I have that does not seem to tie in with the other, either that or I'm doing something stupid (always possible )

Neil
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2007, 06:55   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mcconnell View Post
guys, i launched at low tide a week ago on a wednesday. Had no probs got the local marina to launch on back of landrover for 12. came back at half tide again very easy.

weather on metoffice is looking good for sunday, sun 8deg and 13mph wind. espeacially considering the rest of the week..

look forward to seeing everyone
Hi Ian,

Agree, forecast is looking good, fingers crossed.

Looking forward to it.

Still not sure about launching at low tide though. You launched on a neap (or near enough) and we will be on a spring. I just do not know what it's like at really low states of tide.

Cheers

Neil
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2007, 07:19   #39
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Still not sure about launching at low tide though. You launched on a neap (or near enough) and we will be on a spring. I just do not know what it's like at really low states of tide.
If you want to be sure, give Chas Newens a ring on 020 8788 4587 -- they are the chandlers/boatyard there and will be able to advise (and possibly launch you too).

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2007, 14:07   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
They will launch you for a fiver I think it was....
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.