Old 15 September 2019, 22:08   #1

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Nicholson Trailer Stolen - Kip Marina Scotland

Saw this and hope it's seen or found somewhere.

Same trailer park where I keep my trailer so keep an eye out people
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccbfa0c26c62d344bfe4df2e63b76c04.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	130812  
Old 16 September 2019, 16:08   #2

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
marinas should really be doing something about thefts they don't seem to make it hard for thieves
Old 16 September 2019, 18:17   #3

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
marinas should really be doing something about thefts they don't seem to make it hard for thieves
I suspect they will say owners should!

What would you suggest?

Because as soon as you make the place like fort Knox people say it's not very welcoming
Old 16 September 2019, 19:02   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I suspect they will say owners should!

What would you suggest?

Because as soon as you make the place like fort Knox people say it's not very welcoming
public parking separate from people launching controlled access and exiting they are quite good at stopping you coming in without paying so it can't be that hard to stop you from exiting staff that aren't pricks would help make it more welcoming
Old 16 September 2019, 19:09   #5

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 20
Anpr (largs has it, kip doesnt)

keep the barriers down (largs does, kip doesnt during any day I've been in and some nights)

Public parking is not in the marina grounds (largs isn't, kip is)

Trailers/drystack in a defined compound and fenced/locked off (largs does, kip doesn't)

Sign in/out a key for dry stacking access.

If your reg is not on the system then be prepared to prove who you are and you know some info of the boat/trailer. (mothers maiden name against car reg would be decent start). Phone the number on file worst case.

All trailers have a tag on them, no tag no taking it. Tag number given at barrier along with password on account.

You can only do so much as an owner and a marina owner, but the kip definitely has some improvements to be made. This isnt the first trailer took out kip recently....

Largs was recently voted best marina in west Scotland or something, so doesn't appear to be many not welcome complaints there.
Old 16 September 2019, 19:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
public parking separate from people launching controlled access and exiting they are quite good at stopping you coming in without paying so it can't be that hard to stop you from exiting staff that aren't pricks would help make it more welcoming
Business, is business. If you were designing a marina today, that may well be what you'd do. To modify an existing marina will cost thousands. You need to convince the share holders that that will be returned in revenue - higher charges or more sales.
Old 16 September 2019, 20:01   #7

ANPR - I think is a good solution. Not infalable. If you are smart you can tailgate people through automatic barriers (I've done it).

It's also not infalable because you can clone a number plate for about £5. So I'd bet I can park up outside a marina. Note a number plate from a car that drives through, order a cloned plate on eBay and drive through within a week, unchecked.

So now you need a pin plus anpr ... ... More tech. More cost. More risk of failure.

So obvious question is are those nicked trailers locked. I've had a trailer nicked from a sailing club. (perhaps someone too the wrong one) ... I had forgotten to lock it.
Old 16 September 2019, 20:08   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocando View Post

keep the barriers down (largs does, kip doesnt during any day I've been in and some nights)

Trailers/drystack in a defined compound and fenced/locked off (largs does, kip doesn't)

If your reg is not on the system then be prepared to prove who you are and you know some info of the boat/trailer. (mothers maiden name against car reg would be decent start). Phone the number on file worst case.

All trailers have a tag on them, no tag no taking it. Tag number given at barrier along with password on account.

You can only do so much as an owner and a marina owner, but the kip definitely has some improvements to be made. This isnt the first trailer took out kip recently....

Largs was recently voted best marina in west Scotland or something, so doesn't appear to be many not welcome complaints there.
all of this would be pretty easy to get up and running Largs is half way there with barriers on the entrance and exit I will say this about Largs when I bought my boat it was stored in Largs I went to collect it and the bloke in the tractor Neil was on it when I went to leave tractor across the front of me and I had to prove who I was and that I had bought the boat and he checked up at the office before he would let me leave so thumbs up for Largs
Old 16 September 2019, 20:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
ANPR - I think is a good solution. Not infalable. If you are smart you can tailgate people through automatic barriers (I've done it).

It's also not infalable because you can clone a number plate for about £5. So I'd bet I can park up outside a marina. Note a number plate from a car that drives through, order a cloned plate on eBay and drive through within a week, unchecked.

So now you need a pin plus anpr ... ... More tech. More cost. More risk of failure.

So obvious question is are those nicked trailers locked. I've had a trailer nicked from a sailing club. (perhaps someone too the wrong one) ... I had forgotten to lock it.
Getting a licence plate is not THAT easy, you wont get one from Ebay as cited without proof of ownership. However let's just assume you can get one somewhere, that is plausible for sure.

If you tailgate security come get you going in. atleast you know when it was nicked I'd you do it on way out. All Callum knows is this was nicked within a 3 week ish range. If you tailgate you deserve a barrier in roof on way out surely and it will he noticed potentially and police called.

Could you also get the same colour car as the original? Yes, not too difficult (anpr bring up car colour)

Could you get the same make of car, licence plate and colour? Yes, getting difficult though for casual scumbags. (Anpr brings up make)

Could you get the make, licence plate, colour, password on the account that matches the tag on trailer all in one swoop without being caught? Yes, not likely though so casual scumbags would jog on.

If kip done only 1 thing and kept the barrier down consistantly it would be a decent start. Putting really visible tags on trailer/boat you have to give the number on tag AND password on account on way out barrier would be worth doing for not much money. They have a barrier and they have account details for all equipment on site....they certainly charge for everything on site

To answer your question, yes the trailer had the required bits on it

A padlock only keeps an honest person out as they say. For me, as a former berth holder in kip and my son using it fairly frequently I know they could do some basics and make a decent difference for little money.
Old 16 September 2019, 21:28   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Getting a licence plate is not THAT easy, you wont get one from Ebay as cited without proof of ownership. However let's just assume you can get one somewhere, that is plausible for sure.
getting a plate from Halfords etc, is a PITA and requires paperwork. Getting a plate which is officially not for road use from Ebay or various website is trivial. There are various people advertising *NO DOCUMENTS* on ebay...

I think Shiny is overthinking the effort of the average thief though.

Quote:
A padlock only keeps an honest person out as they say. For me, as a former berth holder in kip and my son using it fairly frequently I know they could do some basics and make a decent difference for little money.
I'm surprised more stuff doesn't go awol. Largs is definitely better. Kip is not even the worst!
Old 16 September 2019, 22:40   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:

Largs security must have improved dramatically in the last handful of years. I had my boat there for several years and complained about the lack of security during an event (the rear gates were wide open to the public carpark and not manned) I was basically told to stop being silly. A week later 8 or 10 outboards were stolen in a week from the compound. Did largs tell people to be vigilant? Nope they kept it quiet, untill it ended up in the local papers.
I dont keep my boat there any more
Old 17 September 2019, 11:01   #12

I've never been on a berth in largs but I know getting entry and exiting the actual marina is well controlled anytime I've been there.

My lad uses both marinas a lot but he will not leave his trailer in kip 99% of the time, he tows it back to his own marina (who dont have slipway) generally speaking. He doesnt day launch from kip as the slip isnt suitable really. It only works about half tide up for his ribcraft without resorting to ropes or getting feet wet and sand everywhere.

Largs is just a much better all round setup for a trailer launch/storage and recovery type vessel.

However, if they want it they will take it I agree, but marinas should make every effort possible to assist with not attracting the thieves, in kips case simply keeping the barrier down would help.