Old 08 May 2012, 10:35   #1

Town: Emsworth
Boat name: Fat Face
Make: Chasecraft 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
More engines stolen!!!!

Woke up this morning to a phone call saying that 3 engines of mine were stolen last night!
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF175
Yamaha F80

All unbolted and security bolts cut, control cables cut and hydraulic steering still attached to engines.

The DF140 had a problem that it wouldnt start so if anyone comes across or hears of someone with problems starting a 140 or looking for engine looms let me know!

Not the best way to start the season but well see what the insurance has to say!
Old 08 May 2012, 10:44   #2

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: BALLISTIC ONE
Make: Ballistic
Length: 8m +
Engine: Evinrude E-TEC
Your town says Emsworth? Is that where your engines were stolen from? Just so I we send an email around at work to look out for suspicious characters or anyone trying to flog these engines.
Old 08 May 2012, 11:21   #3

Town: Plymouth / Portsmouth
Length: 5m +
Any photos of the damage to the ribs to show how they managed it. may help us to protect against theft. You say you had security bolts?
Old 08 May 2012, 15:16   #4

No photos as yet, the boats were all
In Emsworth yacht harbour and unfortunately no CCTV or anything. They've simply cut all the cables and the heads off the security bolts. Wouldn't have been the easiest for them as the boats are all packed in very close stern first and they're big lumps to be carrying around!
Old 08 May 2012, 16:03   #5

Town: Plymouth / Portsmouth
Length: 5m +
When you say security bolts did you have anything similiar to the volcano bolts?

http://www.blackdogmarine.com/produc...oducts_id=1178

Thinking of getting a stainless transom top for my RIB to make it more secure from chainsaws.

More neck than a giraffe some of these thieves as its not a 2min job to take outboards. Must be a solution to safeguard our engines.. Perhaps unique marks on the engine that anyone buying an engine must have to get checked out. i.e a serial number stamped into the head. If noone will buy an engine with it tampered with it will effectively stop theft overnight.

I know its harder than that in reality but there must a solution. I wouldnt mind running an outboard hood that was plain with unique markings / serial numbers on to deter theft.
Old 08 May 2012, 16:35   #6

It was a volcano bolt fitted and luckily so other wise the insurance would be void. Problem is they only stop the nuts being undone and are pretty useless when it comes to having the head of the bolts cut off!
I have to say the police were pretty useless and didnt even bother sending anybody out as the said "because the boats are outside and had been raining that any evidence would no longer exist". Makes you wonder!
As you say there must be some way of stopping this as its enough to makes you think twice about owning a boat. You work hard to have these toys and some scum bag takes a liking to it but cant afford one of their own!
Have informed suzuki as somehow the thieves will need new looms for the 140 and 175 as well as the 140 having some problems but dont know if itll come to any avail.
I guess thats why we have insurance. Its not as much the money as the insurance will hopefully pay out its more the hassle and not being able to use the boat for a while