Old 11 December 2011, 13:22   #21

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100
As the boat has now been 'found' would it not simply be the case that it is returned to the owner who reported it stolen.

If the rightful owner had claimed his loss against his insurance company and agreed the settlement, then it would now be the property of the insurance company.

All other's unwittingly involved 'up the chain' would have no say in the matter. The last one in, being the one who looses out, being that he now can't legally sell it on.

It seems to me, a letter from a solicitor demanding 14 days notice is rather childish to say the least. Being that you could not possible have a chance to investigate your own situation or study the facts presented from this chasing solicitor.

I suspect he may be trying it on for his client as he was the last one in the chain to loose out and noting you only held the boat for for a few months over the winter before you sold it on. Which, rightly or wrongly, looks like trading.

I'm guessing, but the last one in will just have to right off his loss and you would just have been an innocent party.

Completely different I suspect, if you were trading!

Old 11 December 2011, 13:56   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
I mentioned this to someone today who highlighted a scam I was previously unaware of.

Person A has a boat which he legitimately owns and sells to person B. As soon as person B collects the boat person A, reports the boat stolen to his insurance company who pay out (therefore he gets "two lots of money"). Apparently this form of insurance fraud is quite well known with high value, hard to trace items like boats.

If that was the case in this situation, which would tie into the credible back history the original vendor has, then the boat has never been stolen; and if you have receipts etc this should be established and I suspect the insurance company would be rather keen to help pursue it. Bearing in mind that the original vendor (if guilty) could be looking at a prison sentence you need to consider how you make any approach to him.
Old 12 December 2011, 02:59   #23

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I think I would wait and go to court with it

sent from a remote device
Old 12 December 2011, 03:11   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Spend your couple of Hundred pounds on a meeting with a good brief (do remember what he says will change as any facts come to light) and also go to the police as an upright member of the comunity why shouldn't you.

Don't listen to the bar room experts either.
Old 12 December 2011, 03:26   #25

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Yes go to the police there is definitely something not quite right about all this. The police should have been the first port of call after all if this is all legit everyone who sold (it apart from the primary source )has handled stolen property and everyone who purchased it has received If the police investigate and find there is no case to answer then he guy will be free to sell it

Old 12 December 2011, 03:44   #26

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer
Yes go to the police there is definitely something not quite right about all this. The police should have been the first port of call after all if this is all legit everyone who sold (it apart from the primary source )has handled stolen property and everyone who purchased it has received If the police investigate and find there is no case to answer then he guy will be free to sell it

Not quite my take on it Biff. I agree I personally would wait for court but it's likely I'll lose. Yes the police won't take any action regarding criminal charges for handling stolen goods but they will recover the boat to the rightful owner if it's proven to be one. If they don't find the owner it will go on the bumblebee.

I think it's all above board and the OP maybe knew more of the issue then a letter as the first point of contact, just find it strange the first thing his seller would do is instruct a legal money-pit before even a call to the seller, although clearly he's innocent in all of this too (the seller/OP)

What engine did it have fitted ? What year was the boat ? What did you sell it for ? What sites did you check when you first bought it ? I can see several Avon 560's outstanding. One with a Yam 115 2 Stroke fitted which is what yours had right ?

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 12 December 2011, 04:44   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I was involved in a similar thing to this in the late nineties with a bike.
The outcome was:
-insurance company took the bike.
-Each buyer had to pay back the previous buyer what they paid for it.
-There were four until it got back to the seller who knew it was iffy...
-Dodgy seller got hit with all the fees, doubt he paid them.
-Insurance company offered the bike back to each buyer starting with the last one.

Hope this helps, and yes it took bloody ages...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 14:47   #28

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Length: 3m +
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Good luck and do keep us posted with events. We can all learn from this.
Old 12 December 2011, 15:08   #29

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm
I was involved in a similar thing to this in the late nineties with a bike.
The outcome was:
-insurance company took the bike.
-Each buyer had to pay back the previous buyer what they paid for it.
-There were four until it got back to the seller who knew it was iffy...
-Dodgy seller got hit with all the fees, doubt he paid them.
-Insurance company offered the bike back to each buyer starting with the last one.

Hope this helps, and yes it took bloody ages...
Exactly what I've been trying to say right from the start. If its genuine, It's a nightmare

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 12 December 2011, 15:10   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards

Exactly what I've been trying to say right from the start. If its genuine, It's a nightmare

It ain't going to be a quick resolve that's for sure.

Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote