Go Back   RIBnet Forums > Buy and sell > RIBs reported stolen
Click Here to Login

Old 07 July 2009, 21:17   #1

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
6m Ribeye - Yamaha F100 - Warsash, Hampshire - 7th July 2009

Our `A' series rib of only a few weeks ownership was stolen from our garden today, despite being fitted with a London Triangle Wheel Clamp and Hitch Lock!

Hull number is ZA RBI 191 60 G 404
Engine number is 6D9 L100368N
Above on Bramber roller style trailer, with light board and is fitted with full mooring cover.

Two jockey seats are fitted at the helm and there is a raer sculptured bench seat. The Odyysey console has SSR 122725 in large letters and houses a Navman 7100 VHF (DSC) with the MMSI entered in its memory 235072846 and Lowrance GPS LMS335C DF. The double A frame has nav lights and the VHF Aerial mounted.

the theft is registered with Hampshire Police under Crime Ref: 44090295677. they can be contacted on 0845-0454545.
Old 07 July 2009, 22:49   #2

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Sorry to read that - hopefully all insured?

Is it moderately unusual to have a new 6m Ribeye with the 100 engine? I thought they normally arrive with a 115? If so, this makes it a little more unique.
Old 08 July 2009, 13:14   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Swines - sounds like they will have ' watched' it for a while. Hope your insurance sorts it quickly & you dont miss too much time on the water.
Old 08 July 2009, 15:29   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
sorry to hear about this, as someone who has been there before I hope you get the insurance sorted out quickly
Old 08 July 2009, 17:06   #5

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Do you have any photographs?
Old 08 July 2009, 20:01   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
sorry to hear about this...

Any more info, witnesses, type of vehicle inviolved?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2009, 20:59   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Sit tight, after they've run it in a bit a rough water they'll probably bring it back.
Old 08 July 2009, 21:01   #8

Request for picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Do you have any photographs?
I tried to add pics with original message but it would not accept files and kept deleting what I had written! If you know how to upload pics to this site I will happily oblige.
Old 08 July 2009, 21:04   #9

Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
sorry to hear about this, as someone who has been there before I hope you get the insurance sorted out quickly
Who were you insured with? Were there any traps in completing the claim form that I should be aware of. Knowing what insurance companies are normally like, I am sure they will try and reduce my claim, so I won't be able to purchase as good a piece of kit.
Old 08 July 2009, 21:06   #10

optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Sit tight, after they've run it in a bit a rough water they'll probably bring it back.
I appreciate your optimism, but my guess is this has been taken overseas.
Old 08 July 2009, 21:14   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ribman View Post
I appreciate your optimism, but my guess is this has been taken overseas.
True.
Old 08 July 2009, 21:44   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I tried to add pics with original message but it would not accept files and kept deleting what I had written! If you know how to upload pics to this site I will happily oblige.
Below the box you write the message in you will find a button called "manage attachments"

Click that, browse for your files, click Upload. (note the file sizes/limits detailed in the window that appears).

Submit your message.
Old 09 July 2009, 12:31   #13

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Below the box you write the message in you will find a button called "manage attachments"

Click that, browse for your files, click Upload. (note the file sizes/limits detailed in the window that appears).

Submit your message.
That was what I did, but instead of a browser coming up,it just deleted everything I had typed in the message box. Anyway, the administrator has contacted me and said to send him the pics and he will sort!
Old 09 July 2009, 13:30   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribeye console.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	43895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribeye engine.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	43896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribeye Port Fwd Qtr.jpeg.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	43897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribeye Port Rear Qtr.jpeg.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	43898  
Old 09 July 2009, 13:47   #15

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
That's quite a distinctive console - I will watch out for it.
Old 09 July 2009, 18:16   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Any more info, witnesses, type of vehicle inviolved?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 09:31   #17

Quote:
Who were you insured with? Were there any traps in completing the claim form that I should be aware of. Knowing what insurance companies are normally like, I am sure they will try and reduce my claim, so I won't be able to purchase as good a piece of kit.
When you do fill the forms in make sure you claim for 'everything' - ie if you were insured for £500 of accesories- you had £499 worth on the boat (lifejackets/ handheld VHF etc - see if this includes the clamp/ hitch lock-you will need new ones) . Of course you had a nice shiney SS prop on it worth £500 etc - all this will help you get closer to the real value of a replacement rig.

If your policy covered a tender (some will do this automatically up to £500) make sure you are clear these was a small SIB on the boat permanently maked with the main boat name etc. I see you had a fire extinguisher - were are they covering the value of this ( and anchor / fenders etc) - hull / accesories etc ? It all adds up very quick when you are buying replacement stuff !

Read the policy wording/schedule while you fill the claim form in & start recording values of boats similar to yours now - othersie after a few months they may have dropped (if it takes this long to settle) . If they delay the settlement - suggest a staged part payment ( to come off the final amount) - you could use this to hire aboat over the summer etc.

I am sure you can find all the supporting paperwork if neeed from the poeple you have purchased this from other members.

Remember the insurers will be looking to pay as little as possible - its thier job - nothng personal - its just business to them - but very personal to you .

Am happy to help if you find it getting painful as spent quite a few years in this business ! But hoep it al goes OK - some insurers can be surprisingly fair .

Pete
Old 10 July 2009, 10:41   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
When you do fill the forms in make sure you claim for 'everything' - ie if you were insured for £500 of accesories- you had £499 worth on the boat (lifejackets/ handheld VHF etc - see if this includes the clamp/ hitch lock-you will need new ones) . Of course you had a nice shiney SS prop on it worth £500 etc - all this will help you get closer to the real value of a replacement rig.

If your policy covered a tender (some will do this automatically up to £500) make sure you are clear these was a small SIB on the boat permanently maked with the main boat name etc. I see you had a fire extinguisher - were are they covering the value of this ( and anchor / fenders etc) - hull / accesories etc ? It all adds up very quick when you are buying replacement stuff !

Read the policy wording/schedule while you fill the claim form in & start recording values of boats similar to yours now - othersie after a few months they may have dropped (if it takes this long to settle) . If they delay the settlement - suggest a staged part payment ( to come off the final amount) - you could use this to hire aboat over the summer etc.

I am sure you can find all the supporting paperwork if neeed from the poeple you have purchased this from other members.

Remember the insurers will be looking to pay as little as possible - its thier job - nothng personal - its just business to them - but very personal to you .

Am happy to help if you find it getting painful as spent quite a few years in this business ! But hoep it al goes OK - some insurers can be surprisingly fair .

Pete
Pete - what you are suggesting is of course potentially fraud (claiming for stuff that wasn't there). That said you are right it is surprisingly easy to add up £500 worth of accessories. In this sense is it not better to go over £500 than under? If I claim fenders, ropes etc £200; water proofs lifejackets £200; trailer lock £100; H/held VHF £100. Then if they then come back and point out that trailer locks are excluded or electronics are not part of the £500 etc - then you can't "add on" other stuff.
Old 10 July 2009, 11:05   #19

OK - so lets be realistic - there is system in place & you need to understand how to work it so you are not dis-advantaged (I have been - to the tune of tens of thousands & the system does NOT favour the policy holder in 99.9% of cases). The basis of insurance is indemnity - putting you in the same financial position you were before any loss. Now if you had a 100hp & ended up with 150 than that is known a betterment - ie an extra 50 hp - but what I'm saying is you need to be aware of everything you are entitiled to under the wording of your policy - no-one is going to point it out for you.

By doing this you are far more likely to get a decent & fair settlement - then be able to buy the same boat again (same age, type, HP , condition etc ) if you want. Or you put more money in to get a better one , or bank the cash & buy a SIB - all up to you )

Its no use thinking about prices of boats excluding all the stuff you may have to buy again from your own pocket.You can negotiate with insurers to get it paid for.

If you see a replacement boat for a price - great - but then you realise its 300 miles away- who wil pay to get it to you on the south coast ? Ideally insurers - you had a boat on your drive you want another on the drive - not miles away which it will cost you to get back to your drive.

Having seen how insurers & brokers work - trust me you would be stunned at what goes on !
Old 10 July 2009, 11:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
In this sense is it not better to go over £500 than under?

No - your policy 'probably' has a clause known as 'average' . Lets say you told insurers you boat was worth £20k - actually it was worth £40k - but you are trying to keep the premium down & are looking at it more as a ' paper' exercise - you dont expect to have to claim .

So you are essentially 50% underinsured - Insures then can reduce what they pay by 50% & only pay 50% of what you are insured for - £10k !

DONT EVER UNDER VALUE YOUR KIT !