Old 11 July 2009, 14:49   #21

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
Update on the scum that nicked the RIB

The people that did this were obviously organised. Both the hitch lock and the wheel clamp, were `torched' off. We have found the locks scattered around the garden!
The police forensic guy that came, said he had never seen any similar method of removal [there are some curious deformities on the shackle] in all his years of investigating. I am intending to take some photos and post them on the site later.

Have spoken to a number of folk and it seems that no matter what steps we had taken to secure the boat, if they were that determined it wouldn't have stopped them! The advise is to put as many barriers in the way to stop the thieves getting to your kit. The more locks etc they have to break, the longer they are on the scene, the higher the risk of getting caught.

I know it is too late now, but we are taking a serious look at our general security arrangements to see how we can improve protection and reduce risk.

A small point, we spoke to a well known trailer supplier and they offered a good bit of info, concerning the hitch lock. We fitted one with a large external hoop, which of course gave easy access for the thieves. The better design, is the type that fits up into the socket, which you then use an allen key to expand within the socket, then put the key lock into the hole. I guess they might be able to drill the lock out, but am sure this will take longer than torching the hoop!

grateful for any bright ideas.
Old 11 July 2009, 14:57   #22
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Can't offer any better security advice (except a bloody big dog!) but I hope your insurance sorts you out soon and things start to look up for you with regards to RIBing!
Old 11 July 2009, 16:29   #23

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ribman View Post
A small point, we spoke to a well known trailer supplier and they offered a good bit of info, concerning the hitch lock. We fitted one with a large external hoop, which of course gave easy access for the thieves. The better design, is the type that fits up into the socket, which you then use an allen key to expand within the socket, then put the key lock into the hole. I guess they might be able to drill the lock out, but am sure this will take longer than torching the hoop!

grateful for any bright ideas.
That's all well and good till they put a heavy chain through your A frame and shackel this to their towbar.

If they want it they'll probably get it in the end.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 17:30   #24

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Having had lawnmowers stolen from outbuildings at home, I recently fitted a CCTV system which wasn't ruinously expensive. There is an argument that this does nothing except give you a video of your stuff being nicked, but it is evidence from which a conviction can be secured. It might also put some people off trying to take your things too.

In terms of protecting a boat on a driveway, I wonder if a removable/lockable post set in concrete would be of any use?

I'm out a couple of times this week and will definitely be keeping an eye open as I also have Ribeye...
Old 11 July 2009, 20:06   #25

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Having had lawnmowers stolen from outbuildings at home, I recently fitted a CCTV system which wasn't ruinously expensive. There is an argument that this does nothing except give you a video of your stuff being nicked, but it is evidence from which a conviction can be secured. It might also put some people off trying to take your things too.

In terms of protecting a boat on a driveway, I wonder if a removable/lockable post set in concrete would be of any use?

I'm out a couple of times this week and will definitely be keeping an eye open as I also have Ribeye...
CCTV wouldn't be an option in most residental areas. I have an eye set in the concrete driveway which is secured by a motorcycle chain to the trailer. But this is more to proove to the insurance company that I took every precaution in protecting my boat so they have no excuse to not pay out. As for the post Idea, it's a real good un. But again if they want it, then it won't stand in the theiving scums way either.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 21:08   #26

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Lou-Lou
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 9.9
I hope you get it back i feel for you.

Here a vid on how the shites can get away with your pride and joy,ok it not a boat but all the same its a bloody cheek these can get away with it.
The vid is 10 mins long from what i can gather there was 2 wheel locks alarm and a post...

Old 13 July 2009, 17:07   #27

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Horrendous. The boat looks fantastic. Hopefully everything goes okay with the insurance.

Given this has happened, it's maybe worth looking at an alternative way of securing it, such as dry-stack, or house it in a large garage. More often than not, what was an oppotunistic 'scout' by potential thieves will turn into a full-recce. Did you have leaflets delivered a couple of weeks prior to the theft (not via Royal Mail), or cold-calling from a stranger? It's all a front to get a closer look at the job in hand. I honestly hope those bu**ers get caught.

There has even been suggestions of fitting a tracker-device. Something I would consider for a £20K+ boat.

Good luck.
Old 14 July 2009, 08:16   #28

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ribman View Post
The people that did this were obviously organised. Both the hitch lock and the wheel clamp, were `torched' off. We have found the locks scattered around the garden!
The police forensic guy that came, said he had never seen any similar method of removal [there are some curious deformities on the shackle] in all his years of investigating. I am intending to take some photos and post them on the site later.
Using a portapak oyx/ acetalene with a gas axe is now very common for the 'Pikey' scum, it's silent and will cut the toughest of metals in second, they just gas axe the clamp etc & triple-lock ball hitch off and chain it to the back of a tranny van.
Old 14 July 2009, 11:57   #29

Town: Coventry
Engine: Yamaha 115 4stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Sit tight, after they've run it in a bit a rough water they'll probably bring it back.
I think you will find that this was sarcasm and not optimism.

Sorry to hear about the theft of your boat, i hope you get things sorted quickly one way or the other.
Old 14 July 2009, 23:26   #30

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cannell View Post
Using a portapak oyx/ acetalene with a gas axe is now very common for the 'Pikey' scum, it's silent and will cut the toughest of metals in second, they just gas axe the clamp etc & triple-lock ball hitch off and chain it to the back of a tranny van.
the only thing that deters pikeys is dogs barking, thats why pikey sites are always littered with dogs, they will nick dogs as well if they dont bark at strangers, our lab turns into the hound of the baskervilles at the sight of anyone new but if she knows you she is soft as grease
Old 16 July 2009, 16:12   #31

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Martin- just realised looking at the picture the bow tube has been cut away so I am seeing the inside of the bow section ! I think it may be beyond repair - but a ' tube expert' on here may be able to give better advice & how much it may cost .
Old 16 July 2009, 16:15   #32
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Martin- just realised looking at the picture the bow tube has been cut away so I am seeing the inside of the bow section ! I think it may be beyond repair - but a ' tube expert' on here may be able to give better advice & how much it may cost .
Have you replied to the wrong thread or have I missed something?
Old 16 July 2009, 17:24   #33

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Have you replied to the wrong thread or have I missed something?
A long story which I will let solentribman explain - suffice to say some of it ( the big plastic & inflatable bit ) has been found , unfortunatley thats the only bit.
Old 16 July 2009, 17:28   #34
JSP

Quote:
A long story which I will let solentribman explain - suffice to say some of it ( the big plastic & inflatable bit ) has been found , unfortunatley thats the only bit.

Shit
Old 16 July 2009, 17:42   #35

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Bastids.
Old 16 July 2009, 18:33   #36

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
[QUOTE=Robox;304418] I think you will find that this was sarcasm and not optimism.

How dare you!

Good luck with any future developments.
Old 17 July 2009, 06:27   #37

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Double sh1t!

Sorry to hear that, makes me sick.....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 22:08   #38

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Pikey bast*rds.

I've been following this thread - and it makes me sick to my stomach. Why can't the boating industry introduce some sort of licensing system, so that boats and engines for sale need associated paperwork, and proof of previous insurance (bit like proof of a no-claims bonus). Also ferry-ports should be asking for some sort of ID, especially where trailers are being hauled. I for one would not mind the inconvenience if I knew it was keeping some low-life at fook'n arms-length.

Glad I got that off my chest.
Old 28 September 2009, 20:57   #39

Boat name: Expresso
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
Final Report

Firstly, thanks for all your messages.

For those still on the lookout, you won't find the RIB. The hull and damaged tube were dumped in the garden of an empty property 6 miles away! It had been completely stripped of everything. Obviously easier to sell in bits.

Insurance company took just over two months to cough up, so we missed most of the summer [that we didn't have].

My thanks go to one member of the forum, who gave me invaluable assistance with the insurance claim. I won't name him, as he has been thanked personally and I am sure he doesn't want to be inundated. It just shows how valuable the forum can be.

Hope to meet some of you out there sometime.

Thanks again
Solent Ribman
Old 29 September 2009, 06:56   #40

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
CCTV wouldn't be an option in most residental areas. I have an eye set in the concrete driveway which is secured by a motorcycle chain to the trailer. But this is more to proove to the insurance company that I took every precaution in protecting my boat so they have no excuse to not pay out. As for the post Idea, it's a real good un. But again if they want it, then it won't stand in the theiving scums way either.
There are also legal implications regarding this use of this evidence,you need to warn the crim that he will be recorded (with a sign) the sign is a very good deterrent in it's own right. A big chain is obvious, but he knows what he has to do. A camera or camera's that might catch his face will be a an additional threat to his freedom, together both measures might make the boat just too hard to nick.