Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
2 X Outboards stolen

Just seen this http://www.hampshire.police.uk/inter...t%20Marina.pdf

Not a lot of info though!
Old 04 December 2015, 14:48   #2

Length: 7m +
Seems to me the Hamble area is a prime target for thieves, it also seems to me that the same marinas get hit over and over again, do the marina companies not care as long as boat owners keep paying the berthing fees ? Perhaps boat owners need to start asking more questions about security, we need a revolution !

It isn't rocket science to have locked gates, someone on duty and CCTV cameras and lights installed.

Perhaps if someone did a news article for the local papers about concerns around thefts and did some analysis of thefts and named and shamed the worst marinas in the south, maybe the marinas would take more care ?

Perhaps marine insurers should start offering cheaper insurance if you boat is in a well secured marina that has x,y,z in place and more expensive without.

All Food for thought !
Old 05 December 2015, 07:21   #3

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
It isn't rocket science to have locked gates, someone on duty and CCTV cameras and lights installed.
But does cost ££

Quote:
Perhaps marine insurers should start offering cheaper insurance if you boat is in a well secured marina that has x,y,z in place and more expensive without.
Pretty sure there are one or two dinghy sailing venues where insurance against theft is an issue...

You make the assumption these cases were insured. I suspect more people than you'd imagine are not insured.
Old 05 December 2015, 12:03   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
market forces would suggest if there aren't extra secure marinas on the south coast then people wont pay a premium for them. In reality even the most secure marina isn't invincible anyway. I assume the fact insurers ask exactly where my boat is kept that it factors into the premium calculation and actually seems to make little difference (up here at least), so is not a major element of the risk. I don't want my policy invalidated because the marina claimed to have CCTV and I qualified for some discount as a result - but it wasn't operational on the night of the theft.

Boat theft really isn't that common. If it was insurance would be much more expensive.