Old 21 February 2005, 11:50   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Why Winterise? Solent Morning Sun 20th

Time 0930. Air temp 2 degrees. Classic Solent chop. Four layers under Musto top layer. Absolutely delightful. Three yachts. No ribs. Was everyone sleeping off Saturday night?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferry.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	10450   Click image for larger version

Name:	lym.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	10451   Click image for larger version

Name:	needles.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	10452   Click image for larger version

Name:	looking at.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	10453   Click image for larger version

Name:	needles2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	10454  

Old 21 February 2005, 11:51   #2

Vrooommm!

Last one before vibration made the next ones blurred!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	going away.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	10455  
Old 21 February 2005, 19:29   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Hi Bruce

Nice pictures and see you had a great time

Why isn't your name down for the Littlehampton cruise
I am sure you will enjoy venturing past Selsy Bill
Old 21 February 2005, 20:44   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Yeah, c'mon Bruce! Cool piccies BTW!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 21:46   #5

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Hi Bruce

Nice pictures and see you had a great time

Great pics Bruce. Looks like the Solent was in a fair mood that day.

Andre and Louise are right though. You should try life past Selsey Bill some time real soon, like the weekend of the 7/8 May.

Phil

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2005, 09:24   #6

Scheduling

7/8 MAY!!! I have no idea what is happening in my life on 7/8 March!!!!

I hope to go with the Jackeens on 12/13 March I think it is. We are also 'on' for the BIBOA / Trafalgar two day event.

So far our 'furthest outs' are Mudeford to the West - but we did not get into Christchurch harbour. Depth finder was reading less than 4 feet of water, and our leg is two feet below the transducer, so that gave us 2 feet of clearance. It was near low tide and we had obviously not done it before so we chickened out. Freshwater South on the Island, and the forts off Portsmouth to the East.

We now have everything (except the compass!!) working to my satisfaction - even can see the bottom at speed most of the time. Had the auxilliary running at the weekend to test her. Fuel consumption is less than I feared (but weather keeps us to about 20 - 30 knots most of the time), and oil consumption has come right down. I even gave her a clean and a polish (sad git rubbing tubes with cleaner at 2 degrees centigrade in drizzle).

Given up on compass - radio speaker is the culprit I think. In emergency will remove speaker (by brute force if necessary).

Managed to drive off in the dark having detatched trailer but with the breakaway cable still round the tow bar - but BHG produced a spare at short notice. Now remove my ratchet handle every time after last one was nicked!!!

What else have I yet to cock up?????

Couple of queries -

1. Going round the Needles, how do I be sure I am avoiding rocks / wrecks without going out quite a way to the west and hugging the blue countour?

2. Cannot master launching/recovery on my own. Just too much to focus on, especially recovery when cross windy. Does anyone know of anyone who lives close to Lymington wh could help me launch / recover when I am alone?

Many thanks as e'er.

Bruce
Old 22 February 2005, 09:50   #7
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
So far our 'furthest outs' are Mudeford to the West - but we did not get into Christchurch harbour. Depth finder was reading less than 4 feet of water, and our leg is two feet below the transducer, so that gave us 2 feet of clearance. It was near low tide and we had obviously not done it before so we chickened out.
Bruce
Its always shallow going into christchurch, and the entrance bouys have been taken out for the winter. If anybody does wish to enter christchurch this winter just follow the yellow markers the fishermen have put out but take it slow. The channel is easy to spot because this time of year there are breakers either side, on the sandbanks.
I went out on sunday at low tide (2pm) down the channel and didnt touch the bottom, but I kept the boat just on the plane, to keep the boat level.
Christchurch is well worth a visit, and if anybody requires any information on launching/ facilities/ just ask me, or ashbypower as we are both regular users of christchurch.
Probably best to enter at high tide Bruce, in a new shiny boat like yours!

Alex
Old 22 February 2005, 10:02   #8

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
1. Going round the Needles, how do I be sure I am avoiding rocks / wrecks without going out quite a way to the west and hugging the blue countour?
Bruce, go through the needles if you're brave enough . stick to the right hand side of the big gap in the rocks. You will see a dirty great rock a few feet to your right but you need to pass close to it . Not sure if this can be done at all states of tide and you need to watch out for the swell and strong tides racing between the rocks...possibly only to be done on a calm day. Oh, and if you go too slowly, the tide/swell can push you sideways onto the rocks !

Anyway, nice pics!

Cheers

Tim
Old 22 February 2005, 10:50   #9

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:

2. Cannot master launching/recovery on my own. Just too much to focus on, especially recovery when cross windy. Does anyone know of anyone who lives close to Lymington wh could help me launch / recover when I am alone?
Bruce
1.The wreck is a long way off the lighthouse so to clear it you need to leave the same length as the length of the Neddles. Having said that at high tide you would be OK to go much closer and in fact the wreck is getting smaller all the time. Tims idea of going through can be very exiting but definitely do it at high tide and in someone else’s boat first

2. Would love to help but between looking after three kids and keeping the dragon happy I don’t get a lot of free time Have you tried the Town quay, less open than the Bath Road one and in the winter usually quiet. Bad in the summer and you would have to run your trailer back to the Berthon, but worth a thought

Des
Old 22 February 2005, 11:48   #10

Town: New Forest Hampshire
Boat name: Moonshine
Make: Jeanneau Sun 2000
Engine: Honda 6hp
Quote:
I don’t get a lot of free time either but fairly frequently in Lymington Sat. mornings - If I'm about would be happy to help - realise you'll more often than not be launching in the morning.

Cheers

Phil
Old 22 February 2005, 11:51   #11

Quote:
2. Cannot master launching/recovery on my own. Just too much to focus on, especially recovery when cross windy.
Get craned in and out. Saves your bearings and all that stress!
Old 22 February 2005, 15:39   #12

Louise,

It is the adrenalin rush of driving the boat at a reasonable speed in a strong cross wind an angle towrds a set of sharp poles welded together, set at an angle on a slippery slope, knowing that if you screw up you either:

1) scratch or hole the boat
2) impale your son who is waiting beside the trailer to hook on
3) if that is not enough, drive the nose of the boat into the back of the Peugeot

all the while being watched by a group of fascinated 10 year olds in Oppie's and their parents just waiting for you to horlix it.

But it only takes a few minutes from house to Berthon to the quay and down the river.......
Old 22 February 2005, 15:45   #13

Quote:

It is the adrenalin rush of driving the boat at a reasonable speed in a strong cross wind an angle towrds a set of sharp poles welded together, set at an angle on a slippery slope, knowing that if you screw up you either:

1) scratch or hole the boat
2) impale your son who is waiting beside the trailer to hook on
3) if that is not enough, drive the nose of the boat into the back of the Peugeot

all the while being watched by a group of fascinated 10 year olds in Oppie's and their parents just waiting for you to horlix it.
Ah, well, if you put it that way I can well understand the attraction!

Quote:
But it only takes a few minutes from house to Berthon to the quay and down the river.......
Yeah, that's right, rub it in!
Old 22 February 2005, 16:40   #14

Bruce , but you have still not said anything about the Littlehampton cruise
Old 22 February 2005, 22:01   #15

Too far ahead to plan, Andre. Would love to come, but we are selling our house in Aston Clinton - accepted offer this am - and moving slowly to Lymington. There is a complex chain behind us so we do not know how long it is going to take. Also have loads of rubbish here and our house in Lymington is much smaller so other half is demanding I throw out half (3/4) of my 'junk'. So can't predict where we will be nor how free we will be in early May. Recognise hotel / berthing may become a problem if we are late 'bookers' but that cannot be helped. Sorry.
Old 22 February 2005, 22:06   #16

Congrats on your house sale. Hope to see you at Littlehampton, if not before!
Old 22 February 2005, 23:51   #17

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Bruce, go through the needles if you're brave enough . stick to the right hand side of the big gap in the rocks.
Tim
Is that to the Right travelling South or Right travelling North .

I think you can go round the Needles lighthouse fairly close and be sure to miss the wreck, is this right? And aren't there some landmarks to line up just to make doubley sure (keep top of lighthouse higher than clifftops)? but if in dought go wide.
Old 23 February 2005, 07:11   #18

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
7/8 [COLOR=Orange]MAY[/COLOR

Bruce
Bruce I have found if you put a post on here couple of days before you go out you will get all the help you need plus some company on the water (we rather go out with another boat with the kids).
Nice pictures looked a good day. We have not been that far along the Solent yet on the to do list early this year.
Old 23 February 2005, 07:52   #19

Quote:
Too far ahead to plan, Andre. Would love to come, but we are selling our house in Aston Clinton - accepted offer this am - and moving slowly to Lymington. There is a complex chain behind us so we do not know how long it is going to take. Also have loads of rubbish here and our house in Lymington is much smaller so other half is demanding I throw out half (3/4) of my 'junk'. So can't predict where we will be nor how free we will be in early May. Recognise hotel / berthing may become a problem if we are late 'bookers' but that cannot be helped. Sorry.
Bruce

All is clear , please follow the thread and see how you get on. It will never be too late to join . The only problem could be accomodation but that can be established a few days before

Congrats on your new house
Old 23 February 2005, 08:32   #20

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Bruce

As Andre and Louise have said, it would be great if you could join us but I know how the house move thing can tie you down.

Good luck with the move and I hope you can make it to Littlehampton.

Phil

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote

« Shame | Top | Bad Hair Day »