Old 14 May 2009, 08:43   #21

Town: Lisbon
Boat name: No Limit
Make: Hydrosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
I'm sure I've commented on these before, but any how, this is all I know.

Poole Boat Park were agents a few years ago for Hydrosport, and had one with a Jonnyrude on it, can't remember what horsepower, but it wasn't huge. Problem was, once on the plane, it wouldn't steer, and they tried everything, including moving the console, tanks etc. The manufacturer even came over and tried, but he couldn't solve the problem, in the end, a much lower hp motor was fitted, and the boat was sold off cheap!
Dick,

I am glad to hear other peoples opinion, but please try to get out complete facts.

Poole Boat Park imported the second RIB555 ever made and they only imported 1 unit. That was because the owner, George, suddenly lost the rib-guy he had had for 15 years at the yard. So they simply didnīt have anyone with knowledge about ribs, and got out of that business. Actually the RIB555 was initially designed and created because George asked me to.

The "tripple 5" is a DOUBLE stepped 5,5 rib designed to take very, very small engines and get it going cheaply when you buy, and when you use. One well known franch magazine did a fuel consumption test, and found it can actually make 5km with only 1 litre of petrol at planing speeds. Bet you will not find any other 5,5m rib capable of that.

The 555 was not intended for the huge engines needed by most other ribs the same size. The engine Poole Boat Park tried to put on against my opinion was a 75 Evinrude which really pushed the envelope. I still have a GPS recording saying we topped out at over 44 knots which was not the intention with that boat. It simply was not in the water anymore. You could steer, jump waves, whatever. But it chine-walked at 41 knots+, which is perfectly natural for any stepped hull of 4,8m.

When I came over together with a DNV representative, our intention was not to "solve the problem", we simply came over to collect data and suggest what they should do. And we did. We suggested they put on a 50 or 60hp engine.

They opted for a 50hp making it a light, swift, resonably priced package. A couple of months later Simon Everett (which I reckon most of you know) did a write up on it, and he found it did what it was intended to do.

The boat on the picture is a RIB636 hull fitted out by BWM ribs. It is probably the best handling offshore hull ever made on a boat of it's size.

Anyway, I did create the RIB555, RIB636, RIB 464 and RIB808 so my opinions might be sligthly biased. But, today we are working on bigger boats (7,3m+) so I do not make those boats anymore, and I do not make any profit on sales of the old models today. I am not trying to sell boats here. Just want to put the record straight.

Have fun!
Eddy
Old 14 May 2009, 09:40   #22

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolli View Post
Looks a little bit like this
Bit of an unfortunate sign in the photo. Have Revenger gone down the pan?
Old 14 May 2009, 13:24   #23

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Johansen View Post
Dick,

I am glad to hear other peoples opinion, but please try to get out complete facts.

Eddy
I think your slightly bending the facts yourself.

Quote:

Poole Boat Park imported the second RIB555 ever made and they only imported 1 unit. That was because the owner, George, suddenly lost the rib-guy he had had for 15 years at the yard. So they simply didnīt have anyone with knowledge about ribs, and got out of that business. Actually the RIB555 was initially designed and created because George asked me to.

Eddy
They only imported one, because it didn't perform as it should. I'm not aware of anyone working at Poole Boat Park with 15 years rib experience! They did however have a Evinrude main agent in the yard, who was given the impossible task of making it work.

Quote:

The engine Poole Boat Park tried to put on against my opinion was a 75 Evinrude which really pushed the envelope.
When I came over together with a DNV representative, our intention was not to "solve the problem", we simply came over to collect data and suggest what they should do. And we did. We suggested they put on a 50 or 60hp engine.

Eddy
Hmm, so what your saying is that George over engined the boat. So what would the max kw be on the CE plate of that particular boat? Was it not you that suggested moving the console etc?

Quote:

They opted for a 50hp making it a light, swift, resonably priced package. A couple of months later Simon Everett (which I reckon most of you know) did a write up on it, and he found it did what it was intended to do.

Eddy
Shame he didn't do the test when the bigger motor was on it! I went out in that boat and it wasn't fun.

Quote:

Just want to put the record straight.

Eddy
Old 05 June 2009, 21:08   #24

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
Up, !!

I dont know about ths particular model , but Eddy has the know-how .
8 metres rib etec 250 , well priced,
4000 rpm 40 knots 1ltr/mile and you feel that your are doing 26 knots
3250 rpm 32 knots 0.9 lt/mile
There are not many ribs like that
Old 20 November 2009, 10:41   #25

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: Sting
Make: Roughneck 636
Length: 6m +
Engine: OUTBOARD,diesel,90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bou View Post
Can you tell a bit more about your experience with the hydrosport hull because a Dutch dealer is introducing the under the name 'Rough-Neck' ribs for a good price.
I have got one from roughneckmarine.nl it is great, its the best in that size, check my video from my first summer in Greek isliands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STING_003.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	47609   Click image for larger version

Name:	STING_002.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	47610   Click image for larger version

Name:	STING_001.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	47611   Click image for larger version

Name:	STING_004.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	47612  
Old 20 November 2009, 11:08   #26

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
it can actually make 5km with only 1 litre of petrol at planing speeds. Bet you will not find any other 5,5m rib capable of that
Doesn't sound anything special to me for 50hp...our Ribcraft 5.3 with a Suzuki DF90 on the back has managed 3 km/litre over the entire years cruising of 500+ miles. This includes substantial runs at VMax, 60 mile round trips at 25knots+ and several hundred miles at planing speed.

Just thought I'd say...
Old 20 November 2009, 18:36   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Defo one of these . These 2 both run 150 etecs without problem. Both Christchurch based - one belongs to a neighbour/mate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NICKrib1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	47642  
Old 21 November 2009, 11:30   #28

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i'll tell you where they came from, they were imported from portugal by bwm, they were put together down at mercury yacht harbor, one was sold to salty from the earing house where i think it's moored, i don't know who purchased the other one
Old 21 November 2009, 11:59   #29

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i'll tell you where they came from, they were imported from portugal by bwm, they were put together down at mercury yacht harbor, one was sold to salty from the earing house where i think it's moored, i don't know who purchased the other one
indeed...

A suzuki powered one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled1.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	47648  
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 12:05   #30

i did your stainless work
Old 21 November 2009, 12:05   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Defo one of these . These 2 both run 150 etecs without problem. Both Christchurch based - one belongs to a neighbour/mate.
one was built with a 150hp e-tec for a young lad somewhere in dorset, and had a mahoosive stereo system, he claimed it did 65mph, I never drove it myself...
Old 21 November 2009, 12:06   #32

the 2008 demo boat at ribex...

Old 21 November 2009, 12:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i did your stainless work
I know and a fine job you did of it too,
I was the tall one!
Old 21 November 2009, 12:08   #34

uh ha!
Old 13 January 2010, 22:44   #35

Town: Lisbon
Boat name: No Limit
Make: Hydrosport
Engine: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
They only imported one, because it didn't perform as it should. I'm not aware of anyone working at Poole Boat Park with 15 years rib experience! They did however have a Evinrude main agent in the yard, who was given the impossible task of making it work.
Hmm, so what your saying is that George over engined the boat. So what would the max kw be on the CE plate of that particular boat? Was it not you that suggested moving the console etc?
Shame he didn't do the test when the bigger motor was on it! I went out in that boat and it wasn't fun.
Dirk, I have not clue who you are, but apparently I must have met you in 2003 in Poole.

Please read my posts properly. I never said George had someone in the yard with 15 years RIB experience. I said George lost a guy with RIB experience that had worked for him for more than 15 years. Can you see the difference here? I do not remember the blokes name, but he was a short, strong chap that had been working for George since he was 16 or something.

The max allowed power on the 555 was intially 52kw, but it was designed for 37kw and up to 34 knots. It was later modified for up to 67kw, but that was a couple of years later.

With the 75 'rude (I am still not sure that actually was a 75hp, the boat was faaaaar too fast for that amount of power) it reached 44 knots. That is more than 20% over the speed it was initially designed for. Try to understand that. If you put a 300bhp engine in a Volkswagen Golf, it will most likely not handle very well. Unless you also change the suspension, brakes etc. So when "everybody" wanted us to make the 555 for 90hp, we changed the hull accordingly. Reckon that was in 2005/2006. It made it slower with the 50hp, but it also made it safe to handle with a 4 stroke 90hp.

According to George Pittock, LC suggested to move weight forward and unfortunately George listened to him. Apparently he had said the CG should be forward of the front step - and that is sooooooo wrong for a 4,8m double stepped hull. So Poole Boat Park started to play around with the console and made a complete mess out of it.

When I came over with a representative of Det Norske Veritas certification bureau, we just tried to understand what they had been doing. We tested the boat and verified it started to chine-walk at aprox 41 knots. For an experienced driver that knows how to compesate for that, it was never a problem, but as a manufacturer we did not want to be liable for potential future problems and asked them kindly to reduce power.

In a world where "everybody" is screaming about the environment we have tried to give our contribution. More top speed with less engine. Problem is nobody wants to listen. People still want to show big muscles to impress the neighbours.

The 555 was made for up to 50hp. People started to put 75 and 90 on it.

The 636 was made for up to 115hp. Almost the only country a 90hp is used, is Portugal. Everywhere else 135, 140, 150 is used and I reckon there is even one in Spain with a 200HO on it.

The 808 was made for up to 225hp. There is one in Portugal with a Honda 150hp and it reaches 47mph. There is one in Holland that has touched the 80mph mark with a 250HO. But the fact is that most 808's in Holland are fitted with 300's. Why? I reckon a big engine compensates for a small.... yeah, you know.

And still they say the important is not the size of it, it's how you use it.

Have fun!
Eddy

PS. The new RIB 646 VFi is made for 140hp, and the new RIB 737 VFi is made for 175hp. Yeah, sure, but for how long? :-)
Old 06 March 2010, 18:27   #36

Town: Den Helder
Make: roughneck
Engine: outboard
200 hp

it's also whit a 200 hp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	costa-challengd-07.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	49608  
Old 09 March 2010, 06:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkedok View Post
it's also whit a 200 hp
Bloody hell!
Old 09 March 2010, 12:04   #38

RIBase
nice boat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	419268.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	49683  
Old 10 March 2010, 06:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgos View Post
nice boat!
Yes it is, I like that.

How does it perform with that motor?
Old 10 March 2010, 17:24   #40

RIBase
They say is 150 hp and goes up to 48+ knots.
I know that with the lighter suzuki 140 does 46 and with a power lift goes up to 48. Not many 6.5 metres can do that