Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 February 2016, 09:57   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,827
RIBase
"White knuckle ride" to the extreme

I have already on a few occasions shown links of what kind of trips the Polish operators of the seasafari ribs do. With no sea life in the Baltic like we have around the UK coast and no swimming pigs like in the Bahamas etc this link of a Parker 900 Baltic SeaSafari rib with twin Mercury 300 off the coast of Leba beats them all. And to think that these guys paid for such fun

__________________

__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2016, 11:44   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 443
What I like is the fact that the further back people are sitting, the happier they look!
__________________

__________________
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2016, 14:15   #3
Member
 
rocknrolla's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I have already on a few occasions shown links of what kind of trips the Polish operators of the seasafari ribs do. With no sea life in the Baltic like we have around the UK coast and no swimming pigs like in the Bahamas etc this link of a Parker 900 Baltic SeaSafari rib with twin Mercury 300 off the coast of Leba beats them all. And to think that these guys paid for such fun

That looks a good job t av Looey nice rig
__________________
rocknrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2016, 14:20   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,827
RIBase
at least this other operator had goggles for his passengers just like seasafari 1 in Poole when he was operating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 4.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	110596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 5.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	110597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 7.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	110599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 17.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	110600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balticsafari 19.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	110601  

__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2016, 19:59   #5
Member
 
Ron Noco's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Make: FunYak
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 123
Those front steering wheels look seized to me ... 🤔


Mobile
__________________
Ron Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 03:28   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,827
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Noco View Post
Those front steering wheels look seized to me ... ��


Mobile
there are no front steering wheels . if you are referring to the two guys sitting up front in the film clip then they are holding on to high grab handles
__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 03:34   #7
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,256
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
there are no front steering wheels . if you are referring to the two guys sitting up front in the film clip then they are holding on to high grab handles

Whooosh! Straight over the head😏
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 07:53   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
do you need to sign a disclaimer to go on one of these?

a few of those bumps had sore back written all over them.
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 08:31   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,827
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
do you need to sign a disclaimer to go on one of these?

a few of those bumps had sore back written all over them.
The Baltic hull produces a much softer ride then you are probably used to but nevertheless it also can be painful depending on the angle of approach and helmsman attitude. You will notice that the front passengers in the photos have a very low grab handle. Those photos were taken in 2007. the rib in the film was made somewhat later and the front passengers have higher grab handles so at speed they are not leaning forward only sitting upright. This is something which was also pointed out in the MIAB Safety Report about the Celtic - Pioneer. We addressed that issue long before that report. There are a few large UK made seasafari type ribs in the Solent and not one of then has high grab handles for the forward seated passengers and yet they were coded.
__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 09:28   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,446
What, no donuts!!! Best fun you can have at less than 10knots
__________________
Steve_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 13:22   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The Baltic hull produces a much softer ride then you are probably used to but nevertheless it also can be painful depending on the angle of approach and helmsman attitude. You will notice that the front passengers in the photos have a very low grab handle. Those photos were taken in 2007. the rib in the film was made somewhat later and the front passengers have higher grab handles so at speed they are not leaning forward only sitting upright. This is something which was also pointed out in the MIAB Safety Report about the Celtic - Pioneer. We addressed that issue long before that report. There are a few large UK made seasafari type ribs in the Solent and not one of then has high grab handles for the forward seated passengers and yet they were coded.
i'll let ribcraft know the baltic hull is softer

my query wasn't about coding, just if you need to sign a disclaimer before a rib trip in general. a few of those bumps looked painful to me but perhaps it is all part of the fun for some.
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 13:48   #12
Member
 
MatFromPoland's Avatar
 
Country: Poland
Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Length: 5m +
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 610
I would suggest goggle for all passengers.
Most of the ride they have eye closed.
Did they prepare any last will or other statement before ride ?

Nice boat. I wish to own one with suspense seats and make rides for tourists in Greece Two in one. Have a big boat, fun and some money
__________________
MatFromPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 14:23   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,827
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
i'll let ribcraft know the baltic hull is softer

my query wasn't about coding, just if you need to sign a disclaimer before a rib trip in general. a few of those bumps looked painful to me but perhaps it is all part of the fun for some.
I did not say the Baltic had a softer hull. I do not think you will find any rib with a soft hull

as for the disclaimer I have no idea as I have never taken a ride with any of them operators. not that I want to anyway
__________________
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 14:46   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,016
Xk59D, it is quite common for a "thrill ride" rib operator to use disclaimers for all Pax, and also "refuse" to take people who are pregnant or have pre-existing back problems. Of course there are somethings in UK law that you can't disclaim your way put of, especially in consumer contracts so a disclaimer is not an alternative to a competent helmsman or good hull and ergonomic design as Andre suggests. Debates on ride quality of hulls is usually subjective, with few people having ridden multiple boats on the same day in the same conditions with the same helmsman.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2016, 20:05   #15
Member
 
islandflyer's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Nassau, Bahamas
Boat name: Harbour Safaris
Make: Parker RIB 9m & 10m
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 250 & 350
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 184
we have a disclaimer, and insurance, and complaints...but we run passengers on the Baltic 900 rib for a 2.5 hour ride and a total of about 5-6 hours of being on the boat. I can tell you that while it is probably our number one comment, it's not really a complaint because the guests LOVE our excursions! We have had days we've had to drop from 32 knots down to 12 knots...even then we get 5 star reviews!

I just need to convince my captain on the "white knuckle" rides to drive like he stole it!
__________________

__________________
islandflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×