Old 07 January 2007, 19:06   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Up Close and Personal

Out in the RIB today and got a few up close shots of the local wildlife etc.

Big visitor in today, cruise ship "The World" seriously expensive holidays for the seriously well off, I understand it doesn't have cabins but apartments which you rent for a year or something, and get on and off whenever you like...

Then out around Kidney Island about 5 miles from the harbour, a big commotion on the beach and another one in the water, loads and loads of seals of all sizes, quite inquisitive, when I stopped the engine they came to within about six feet of the boat for a look but then the big fellas started making disgruntled noises so we retreated a little! Also the fact that they were right in the kelp didn't help, as kelp and outboards are not a happy mixture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070031 (Small).JPG
Views:	327
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	24105   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070039 (Small).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24106   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070045 (Small).JPG
Views:	259
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	24107   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070048 (Small).JPG
Views:	216
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	24108  

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2007, 19:10   #2

Then a dark shape flashed under the boat. Shark? No, just Flipper and family

fantastic company as always, playing round the boat, almost close enough to touch ... but the best bit came when we set off again motoring slowly on the aux engine, they went mad and a couple of them were jumping right out of the water doing a wiggle in mid air and then in again, this went on for a couple of minutes but I'd put the camera away so I missed any shots of it, I have NEVER seen wild dolphins behave like this here, it was like trained dolphins in a show but these guys are completely wild of course. Fantastic

On the way home we had a little race with a jet ski and won, he had to go and offload his passenger before he could beat me and then I reckon there was only about a knot in it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1070051 (Small).JPG
Views:	236
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	24110   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070053 (Small).JPG
Views:	190
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	24111   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070055 (Small).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	24112   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070057 (Small).JPG
Views:	208
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	24113   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070059 (Small).JPG
Views:	500
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24114  

Old 07 January 2007, 19:15   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Sounds like an excellent day out - and hopefully making up for the recent tube issues.
Old 07 January 2007, 19:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Sounds like an excellent day out - and hopefully making up for the recent tube issues.
Tube issues are still ongoing but yes it does help reinforce the resolve to get the damn thing fixed once and for all, if you have a good day out without any new problems appearing

Old 07 January 2007, 20:29   #5

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Stephen, when I see your pictures, it strengthens my resolve to relocate someplace nearer to "real" water! As much as I love our crystal clear, fresh water, we get excited if we see a fish!

It's nice to hear that your repairs are holding up too!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2007, 14:08   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
That ship came to Swansea a few years ago - went out to have a look in a big yellow RIB.

Great shots of the dolphins. I have yet to see one in British waters but last year a pod of 2,000 was spotted off west wales - also 6 fin wales near swansea so just got to be lucky.

You say about them performing for you the funniest thing I ever saw was Clive James on a walking safari. They sneaked up on a pride of lions but they were lying in the shade and you could hardly see them. Along came a few of the tourist mini buses and the lions all got up and came into the open and strutted their stuff for the cameras. The main male was really posing - it was incredible to watch. As soon as the buses had gone they went back under the trees and fell asleep!!!
Old 08 January 2007, 14:18   #7

We get dolphins regularly round here - though there are more in summer than in winter. I saw 3 different pods here yesterday, from about 6 to about a dozen in each. They are fantastic company especially if it is a nice warm sunny day and flat calm, and you can lean over the edge of the boat watching them whizz around underneath, up around Kidney Is there is only about 12 feet of water and a sandy bottom so on a sunny day (unlike yesterday...) it is almost like watching them in an aquarium. There were loads of penguins around too but they are a bit scary and won't come close to the boat, they just dive and then zip through the water just popping up for a quick breath now and again - almost impossible to photograph with a still camera. A lot of these things are experiences to be enjoyed on the day and almost impossible to record!

February is apparently whale season so I will be going whale hunting (no not like that!) then

I was looking at the Wiki entry on "The World" - if you've got a spare $3.6m you can buy an apartment on it. Not including "maintenance fees"

Old 08 January 2007, 16:52   #8
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Dolphins in Cardigan Bay

Here is some of my pictures of dolphins taken last summner. There was a pod of about 12 joined us for about an hour. I kept putting the engine into neutral and swithcing is off because i didn't wan't to scare or allow the prop to touch them but them seemed to like just swimming under the boat when going about 10 knots.

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dolphins 095.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	24137   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphins 098.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	24138   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphins 100.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	24139   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphins 102.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	24140  
Old 08 January 2007, 17:18   #9

Town: Oakland CA
No pics, but early last summer I ran into a pod of Dall's Porpoises (or rather, they ran into me.) I was out looking for a couple of humpbacks that were rumored to be hanging out in the area (never found them, though they apparently were still there), and I saw a bunch of fins approaching. As they got closer, I could see they were jet black. "Aha", I thought. "Orcas!" Cool, as I had yet to see them in the wild (Sea World doesn't really count, in my book.) Suspicion confirmed as they got closer, and a distinct black and white color pattern was visible. When they got nearer, I could see they were smaller, and more streamlined than orcas are.

As our paths intersected, they hung a hard left, merging with my path. I cut the throttle, and they swam out in front, circled, and milled around a bit. Some started to swim off, so I hit the throttle again, getting up on plane (about 15 to 17 mph, I think.) The ones that were leaving immediately circled back, and the whole pod of a dozen or so played in the pressure wave. They had a weird style of swimming and breathing that kicked up a ton of spray, making them almost unviewable.

I cut the throttle again, and they started to drift off again; Hit the throttle and they were right back under the bow. I was surprised at their speed; I could do about 25mph and they were right there. Eventually, they took off back the way they had come from, so I turned and headed back up the coast. I had a big grin all the way back. Wasn't til later that I got an ID on them.

Unfortunately, I was having such a good time with them that I never even thought about pulling out my camera (which would have taken a while since I would have had to remove the strobe arms from the housing - it was set up for underwater work.)

No whales that day, though, which was kind of disappointing.

jky
Old 30 January 2007, 20:46   #10

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Sadly i missed the oportunity when that vast cruise ship visited my waters a couple of years ago. I've always wanted to say 'I've been round the world in my rib'
Old 31 January 2007, 08:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Sadly i missed the oportunity when that vast cruise ship visited my waters a couple of years ago. I've always wanted to say 'I've been round the world in my rib'
Somebody did that while it was here, there was an article in the local paper titled "XYZ sets out to kayak around the World" thought it was brilliant

Old 31 January 2007, 13:28   #12

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Our dolphins have funny shaped fins and aren't friendly!
http://rib.net/forum/attachment.php?...9&d=1149512878
Old 31 January 2007, 20:25   #13

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Engine: I/B 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Somebody did that while it was here, there was an article in the local paper titled "XYZ sets out to kayak around the World" thought it was brilliant
The World at my feet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	world.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	24618   Click image for larger version

Name:	world2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	24619