Old 07 September 2008, 01:39   #1

Length: 6m +
Ultimate Rib Accessory!!!

This has got to be the Rib "must have"!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081 (800 x 533).jpg
Views:	387
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	37371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082 (800 x 533).jpg
Views:	506
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	37372  
Old 07 September 2008, 22:06   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Nice!!! Looks like an FN 240B, no need to worry about COLREGS with one of those up forward!

Wouldnt look out of place on the front of mine but trying to get hold of 7.62 NATO ammo is nigh on impossible at the mo
Old 08 September 2008, 09:21   #3

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Could have the answer for you - the M249 SAW in the picture fires 5.56 Nato Ammunition - and on the M40 yesterday I passed an ammunition convoy of some 20 Heavy Truacks that must have had hundreds of thousands of rounds - all you have to do ius get by the couple of dozen RAF Regiment guys with their SA80s and side arms - but that shouldnt be a problem - should it?
Old 08 September 2008, 15:32   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Not with the SA80's reliability record, no

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 15:54   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Not with the SA80's reliability record, no
Just throw some sand in their general direction?

As for the toy, I'd far rather have homing torpedoes that only aim at jetskis....

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 17:30   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
So is there a theoretical risk that the bow gunner in the photo could hose the wheelhouse off?

You'd think a position/turret on top of the whellhouse night be a bit safer...

Have the SA80 faults been resolved being as it's coming upto it's 20th birthday an all that.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2008, 17:51   #7

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
If it is Amercian then friendly fire is almost compulsory - so no issues over the firing position.

I have it on good authority that the SA 80 Mk 2 is a very good weapon - but like all automatic weapons needs to be looked after. They have no more problems with it than the M16 or any other - possibly apart from the AK47 - which is practically bomb proof - but still uses 7.62 ammunition - whereas NATO now uses 5.56.
Old 08 September 2008, 18:29   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeCooper View Post
apart from the AK47 - which is practically bomb proof - but still uses 7.62 ammunition - whereas NATO now uses 5.56.
But its a shorter case for the AK47 ammo... 7.62x39 as opposed to the NATO 7.62x51
Old 08 September 2008, 22:19   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
But its a shorter case for the AK47 ammo... 7.62x39 as opposed to the NATO 7.62x51
Yup it's all crap - they should have stuck to proper 7.62 - something like an SLR is much better suited to terrain like Afghanistan - fight old fashioned wars with old fashioned weapons - much better range and hitting power.

At 300yds the 5.56NATO has only 470ft lbs of energy - the 7.62NATO has 1345ft lbs - thats a hell of a difference. The AK47 round has 652ft lbs at 300 yards. It easily outpaces 5.56 but nowhere near 7.62.
Old 08 September 2008, 22:41   #10

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Yep, but the old SLR was restricted to semi auto in the British army to save carrying so much ammunition and its weight. Plus engagment ranges were found in op research to be usually under 400 yards so the extra range was wasted in most cases (there will always be exceptions) but generally ranges are short.
The M16 is oft quoted in comparison to the SA80 as being superior in reliabilty, this may be so but the M16 has not been trouble free. Remember the original advice that it did not require cleaning?
The AK47 is a very good and reliable weapon but it is well known that if the first two shots didn't get you then you are fairly safe just standing still as the rest will be all over the place except where you are aiming! It was designed for reliability, ease of manufacture and maintenance, not accuracy!
Old 09 September 2008, 01:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Yep, but the old SLR was restricted to semi auto in the British army to save carrying so much ammunition and its weight. Plus engagment ranges were found in op research to be usually under 400 yards so the extra range was wasted in most cases (there will always be exceptions) but generally ranges are short.
The M16 is oft quoted in comparison to the SA80 as being superior in reliabilty, this may be so but the M16 has not been trouble free. Remember the original advice that it did not require cleaning?
The AK47 is a very good and reliable weapon but it is well known that if the first two shots didn't get you then you are fairly safe just standing still as the rest will be all over the place except where you are aiming! It was designed for reliability, ease of manufacture and maintenance, not accuracy!
I still think the semi auto mode is the best - soldiers tend to waste far too much ammo otherwise. Make every shot count.

Yes engagement ranges are normally shorter than 400yards in MODERN warfare - but fighting in mountains and deserts against tribesmen can hardly be classed as that!!!

The revised SA80 is a fantastic weapon - now one of the best.
Old 14 September 2008, 22:12   #12

Town: Dorset
Make: Waiting To Buy

The SA 80 mk 2 is a different weapon to the original and is very good coupled with the higher Nato 5.56 round its velocity is higher than the M16 223 the chambers are slightly different on the two cailbres.
AK 74 with its smaller cartridge replaced the AK47. One of the best calibres around is the 6.8 SPC developed by the American 5th Special Forces Group out in Afganistan which outperforms the 223/5.56 and has the power of near the 7.62 to knock down a man out to 600 meters
Old 14 September 2008, 22:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHooper View Post
The SA 80 mk 2 is a different weapon to the original and is very good coupled with the higher Nato 5.56 round its velocity is higher than the M16 223 the chambers are slightly different on the two cailbres.
AK 74 with its smaller cartridge replaced the AK47. One of the best calibres around is the 6.8 SPC developed by the American 5th Special Forces Group out in Afganistan which outperforms the 223/5.56 and has the power of near the 7.62 to knock down a man out to 600 meters
It amazed me that they devloped this new calibre and spent a fortune on it - why not use 7.62 and be done with? They car share the same ammo as the GPMG etc then instead of having to find yet more new stuff!!!
Old 15 September 2008, 10:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHooper View Post
One of the best calibres around is the 6.8 SPC
Going to be interesting to see what weapons are going to come out for this, as IMO barrel length will be important to maintain the muzzle energy that gives it its advantage. For all thats said about 5.56, in a decent weapon it is a very accurate little fella !
Old 15 September 2008, 16:54   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskidia View Post
This has got to be the Rib "must have"!!!
Interesting. That's a 33' SAFE boat; most of the Defenders in use on the left coast of the US are the 25's.

The two 25's in use in Monterey have pintle mounts fore and aft for the M-249's (though I believe they usually run without the really long guns; one of the crew told me they *always* have at least one long gun, usually an M-16/M-4 type.)

One night a group of us were heading out for night dive when the other boat ran out of gas. I towed him back in towards the harbor, and we decided to do a dive anyways, since we ran over the site on the way back in. So, we dropped the hooks, started gearing up, and all of a sudden we get lit up. Look over to see nothing but a searchlight. As it moves around us, I see the vague outline of the CG 25 boat, and the much more distinct (at the time) outline of a guy on teh M-249 at the bow (and heard, quite clearly, everyone in the other boat saying "Jeff; Shut Up.") The boat circled us a few times, then headed around the jetty back to their slip. They never said a word to us.

jky
Old 18 September 2008, 20:21   #16

Quite by coincidence someone just sent me this, same rig different number just taken recently
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cgrib.jpg.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	37592  
Old 18 September 2008, 21:18   #17

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Having owned and fired 1000's of rounds from all of the weapons mentioned: if had had to choose just one gun to own it would be an AK 47 in 7.62x39.
BTW a M2 50cal. would be better on that size boat or twin MG1's-7.62x51 NATO, (AKA MG42- 8mm) at 1,100 rpm it will saw anything in half.
Old 18 September 2008, 21:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
if had had to choose just one gun to own it would be an AK 47 in 7.62x39.
Wondered where you'd got to LL .. would that be for self defence or just areating the front grass to aid watering
Old 19 September 2008, 01:49   #19

People who live in the States seem to use guns for everything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7091904.stm

"A US man has injured himself in both legs after attempting to loosen a stiff wheel-nut by blasting it with his gun."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2944302.html

"A 56-year-old US man has been arrested after shooting his lawnmower because it wouldn't start."

And I bet there are loads more!!!
Old 19 September 2008, 03:45   #20

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Wondered where you'd got to LL .. would that be for self defence or just areating the front grass to aid watering
Both, plus a few more useful applications.
Unfortunately I have retired and now live in Mexico and had to sell 50 guns. Broke my heart but I made a handsome profit. The up side is that I can take my RIB out nearly any day I want and only have to drive 3 mins to launch and petrol is 0.35p per litre.