Old 21 March 2011, 20:50   #1
Rop

Boat name: Blacktip
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Trip to North Sea (Netherlands)

Hi,

Last weekend (Saturday 19th March 2011) we went for a 190km - 118mile trip, with three RIB's from Raamsdonkveer near the Biesbosch (Netherlands), via Amer, Hollandsch diep and Haringvliet to the North Sea. After a short stop at the Brouwersdam we headed back home.
Mark with his Osprey Eagle
Danny with his Humber Ocean Pro
Rob with his Osprey Sparrowhawk

Trip

And an impression
[YOUTUBE]Xbhxxih9kc8[/YOUTUBE]
Old 21 March 2011, 22:45   #2

Length: 7m +
Looks a nice run, I expect it's rather flat. Pun intended.

Nice bit of video editing, what software used ? Especially like the end bit looks like my prop.
Old 23 March 2011, 20:32   #3
Rop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Looks a nice run, I expect it's rather flat. Pun intended.

Nice bit of video editing, what software used ? Especially like the end bit looks like my prop.

Hi Boris,
Thanks, it was a rather flat run, halfway the afternoon almost all wind was gone as seen in some parts of the movie. On the North Sea there were some tidal waves, especially near a shallow part between some sand pits, no footage there (no passengers, filming and handling the boat was no option there).

Used MS moviemaker on this video, simple but edits quickly.
Old 05 December 2011, 18:09   #4
Rop

More damage then I hoped for last time, a cracked hull, still repairing.
Went out last weekend with Mark in his Osprey, here's an impression:

Old 05 December 2011, 18:21   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Nice vid, does it not say 115 on the engine?
Old 05 December 2011, 18:41   #6

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rop View Post

class
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2011, 20:14   #7

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
dank u wel, great post.

My wife is from Apeldoorn but we live in the UK, we have thought often of taking our Rib to Holland for a holiday. I'm guessing its mostly speed restricted inland so we thought it would be good to tour the coastline up to the North, we have friends on Texel ? Could you recommend a tour route to me with stop offs along the coast ?
Old 06 December 2011, 21:23   #8
Rop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Nice vid, does it not say 115 on the engine?
Yes, 115 Optimax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
dank u wel, great post.

My wife is from Apeldoorn but we live in the UK, we have thought often of taking our Rib to Holland for a holiday. I'm guessing its mostly speed restricted inland so we thought it would be good to tour the coastline up to the North, we have friends on Texel ? Could you recommend a tour route to me with stop offs along the coast ?
No, do not know a route, but have a usefull link for you. Here is the map showing all rivers and water, the purple parts have no speed limit, just as on open seas. From Apeldoorn, it's a short route to Deventer, there you can enter river "de Ijssel", you can go down to Arnhem and Nijmegen, get on "de Waal" en cross the country WOT, all te the way to the north sea (last bit, see movie), or go up from Deventer to "Ijsselmeer", to finally reach Texel
Old 06 December 2011, 22:12   #9

[QUOTE=

WOT, all te the way :
cool:[/QUOTE]

somethings don't need babel fish for translation huh !?!?

Thanks great map, we are keen to cruise this area, thats very helpful
Old 06 December 2011, 22:28   #10

Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
'The rib.net guide to the Netherlands ' part 1 - here we go:

The Biesbosch area is a unique and very recommendable place to go and so is the trip from there to the Northsea towards Texel. Surely they will ( as I am) recommend that and I hope they can guide you on places to go, towns to visit and maybe even tip you off on a nice slipway.....

If you are in the Netherlands and visiting Texel, I sure would try the IJsselmeer as well as the Waddenzee area ( the sea between the islands and mainland up north). The trip from Rotterdam area towards Den Helder and Texel can be with south to north-north westerly winds(direction and force) a bit tricky because it is an all but friendly coast with steep waves and fast changing conditions especially when wind turns against tide, including but not limited to possible ground seas if you get too close to the shore and very possible something similar to clapotic waves near the shipping lanes because of deep shippinglanes, sandbanks the port's breakwaters and swell versus ( transverse ) wind waves v.v., passing both rotterdam and ijmuiden: especially passing here downwind i had a few suprises on troughs I noted only by the absense of water underneath my boat passing them;-) ). The dutch lifeguard association remains very busy with rescueing people underestimating it all year, so please do not make the same mistake! The currents along this part of the coast can easily be in excess of 3 knots even at neap tide.

From this place described from the most westerly point in this thread above it is 28 nm towards Scheveningen (near the hague )and then another 25 nm or so to IJmuiden (approach to port of Amsterdam). there are not that many places after IJmuiden where you could shelter if needed (read : none) in the remaining 35-40 nm towards Oudeschild (fishery port of texel) and Den Helder (opposite of it on the mainland). Passing of the Marsdiep (between Texel and den helder can be tricky as well with tide against current this passage works as a tunnel for wind and waves. Anything over 4 bft I would not recommend to take this trip.. You could take the Noordzeekanaal instead (by entering IJmuiden) where you will pass Amsterdam by 2 locks ( IJmuiden and one northeast of Amsterdam) which is much easier with wind. Be careful on the Noordzeekanaal with your speeds since 75 pct chance they will hand you a fat ticket if you exceed 20 kph. Amsterdam navigation can be a bit chaotic but every time i pass i still find it impressive to pass this city by water. Prepare, and during passage keep reading the map, stick to starboard and keep a low speed and you will do fine. In North Amsterdam, opposite of the central station, there is a marina called Sixhaven which is 5 mins by ferry to amsterdam central station and 10 minutes from the center of amsterdam.

When you leave Amsterdam via het 'IJ' and the 'Oranjesluizen' (lock again) you are on the IJsselmeer ( formerly sea, now fresh water since closed in by a dyke since the 1930ies). The ijsselmeer is nice and easy to navigate without any tides however the steep short waves can be a bit tricky when the wind picks up. (it is underestimated).
From there going north you could go to the city of hoorn which is 18 nm from amsterdam ( where xcraft is based in case you would like to try some fancy suspension seats) and Enkhuizen which 20 nm fm Amsterdam and 10 nm if you go Hoorn first( both are nice towns to visit) Passing the lock(again) in Enkhuizen you are off on the northern ijsselmeer direction Den Oever.
My boat is located in the town of Medemblik (actually the oldest city in the netherlands, enroute from enkhuizen to den oever) and i am more than happy to show u around that northern part of the ijsselmeer if you give me some proper preadvise. It is 2 -3 hours incl 1 lock to go to texel from there (22 nm or so)

If you need more info - please let me know please...
Gabor
Old 06 December 2011, 23:28   #11

Thanks mate, that's fantastic. I've been to most of these places by car and kow Holland quite well. I'll make plans and let you know if/when we will bring the boat to Holland
Old 23 December 2011, 20:42   #12

Town: Rotterdam, Holland
Make: Osprey Eagle
Engine: Optimax 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rop View Post

Thats me

Didn't knew Rop posted the vid on rib.net :duim: