Click Here to Login

Old 18 April 2006, 20:45   #261

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i had a think about rearsets but might look odd, i have got a friend picking up some of those steps i mentioned below which should be good i think for him. If i cant get any then i will make my own foot steps, that way i can custom design them for him

we should arrange a osprey get together for all those with ospreys, never see them about so would be good to get a few together

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper
Well done Chris, good to see your new boat in the water.

As to the foot peg issue, what about rear set's off a bike. Might find some on e-blag that you could modify.

When are you coming up to robin hood land????
Old 18 April 2006, 21:01   #262
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
we should arrange a osprey get together for all those with ospreys, never see them about so would be good to get a few together
Sounds good, anyone know where there's a suitable barn?!
Old 18 April 2006, 21:14   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Sounds good, anyone know where there's a suitable barn?!
i was thinking that real ribbers with ospreys might meet on the water for a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you scorp owners could do the same....
Old 18 April 2006, 21:25   #264
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Can we have an SR4 owners meeting next to a glue vat then?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2006, 21:35   #265

Quote:
i was thinking that real ribbers with ospreys might meet on the water for a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you scorp owners could do the same....
Flippin' eck!! Coz' I can't be arsed to get cold and wet in the winter months I'm considered a lightweight ribber eh? I'm the guy that's done the offshore delivery trips changing headsails in 64knts of wind! Poncing about in a rib on a Saturday afternoon in January just ain't my idea of fun. Actually apart from a yoke anode I'm ready to go. So bring it on.
Old 18 April 2006, 22:19   #266

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
i have a large grab handle infront of the passenger seat so he can hold onto that, i think a short length of rope securing him to that grab handle is probably the best option. But need a fast way of disconnecting in case of an emergency.
Just use a standard sailing safety line - made for the job! They have quick-release hooks but won't come undone accidentally. Usually have a harness on the body (or lifejacket with harness - most kids inlatable ones come with harness) but you just have to be comfortable that the anchor point on the littl'un is strong enough. Some of the lines are a bit long - 2m or so and some are elesticated so you don't have loads of slack flapping about. You could put it right round him and hook his end over the line. Let me know if you want one - only down the road.
Old 18 April 2006, 22:31   #267

can i pop round one evening to look at the bits as i need a couple of life jackets? and some bits and bobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC
Just use a standard sailing safety line - made for the job! They have quick-release hooks but won't come undone accidentally. Usually have a harness on the body (or lifejacket with harness - most kids inlatable ones come with harness) but you just have to be comfortable that the anchor point on the littl'un is strong enough. Some of the lines are a bit long - 2m or so and some are elesticated so you don't have loads of slack flapping about. You could put it right round him and hook his end over the line. Let me know if you want one - only down the road.
Old 18 April 2006, 22:35   #268

Quote:
Flippin' eck!! Coz' I can't be arsed to get cold and wet in the winter months I'm considered a lightweight ribber eh? I'm the guy that's done the offshore delivery trips changing headsails in 64knts of wind! Poncing about in a rib on a Saturday afternoon in January just ain't my idea of fun. Actually apart from a yoke anode I'm ready to go. So bring it on.
of course i do enjoy a bit of fishing as well nowt better than pulling in a big one now and then

looking forward to meeting some of the cornish boys and girls when we are down. hopefully the mackeral/mackarel/meckeral/meckarel fech, will be there at the same time for me son, he loves his fishing.
Old 23 April 2006, 23:02   #269

After my first Launch last weekend i found out that the trunks are just below the water level so had to invest in a bilge pump. Just got a cheapy 360gph one as all it needs to do is pump out any rainwater that may have made its way into the boat while moored up. works a treat and only £12. Fitted it and wired it up this evening, finished around 10 mins ago....must be mad
Old 25 April 2006, 23:32   #270

i looked at these foot pegs that flip out, they would be perfect except the problem is the edges are really sharp and in the summer could be a real leg scraper so I dont recommend them to anyone.

i am going to make a nice foot rest out of wood and marine ply, that way i can make it to my spec and have lots of rounded edges etc and it wont cost a bean which is an added bonus

if anyone else has made foot rests from wood then please post a pic as any inspiration would be good

will post a pic when i have come up with a design, perhaps i should patent it as i dont want people splashing copys of my hard work

spent the eve tonight moving my wheels forward now most things are finished to get a better balance on the trailer and tow hitch, what a pain in the arse job i must admit single handed.......

Quote:
these look to be the best bet for functionality and price etc

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...1-091548f61cf1

if anyone knows where i can get them cheaper to save on postage that would be cool
Old 26 April 2006, 02:04   #271

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I thought they looked a bit too chunky as well

these look a far better bet

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...9-9999e3d4a288

same sort of thing but composite.
Old 26 April 2006, 07:46   #272

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Chris

I looked at different ways of making the jockey seating in my Ocean 6.25 more comfortable for my lads, particularly my youngest, who can’t touch the deck with his feet and tends to slide backwards along the top.

My first thought like yours was motorcycle pillion pegs, but I came to the conclusion that anything I bolted to the seat base would bruise my legs all year, rub them during the summer, and damage my dry suit the rest of the year. The other issue was having to move them down each year as he got bigger.

I’m in the middle of making up my solution. It’s basically a stirrup system.
A tight main webbing strap goes over the seat and fixes on both vertical sides of the fibreglass base near the bottom with large press studs.
This stops any backwards and forwards or up and down movements.
Then using a pair of buckles the stirrup with a plastic base can be moved up and down the main strap as required.
When I’m driving, hopefully by moving the top buckle up the stirrup will pull flat against the vertical side of the base, or by undoing the two poppers can be removed completely, leaving just two small studs down near the deck where they can’t do any harm.

Hope that makes sense.

Nasher
Old 26 April 2006, 07:54   #273

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
They look spot on!

On the subject of lanyards for children earlier on here... I have decided very firmly against these as a dangerous idea. Child bounces out, nasty splash in sea possible injury. Child on line bouces out, nasty spash possible injury and dragged alon under boat/in prop/beside boat for the 10 to 20m it will take to stop (and you can't do a crash stop turn)! No way I am risking that. And if you did go over...
Just back to sensible weather conditions and driving me thinks!
Old 26 April 2006, 12:50   #274

I thought of the stirrup system but what happens in a flip if the kid gets his foot caught in the stirrup? Doesn't bear thinking about!!!
Old 26 April 2006, 13:35   #275

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan
On the subject of lanyards for children earlier on here... I have decided very firmly against these as a dangerous idea. Child bounces out, nasty splash in sea possible injury. Child on line bouces out, nasty spash possible injury and dragged alon under boat/in prop/beside boat for the 10 to 20m it will take to stop (and you can't do a crash stop turn)! No way I am risking that. And if you did go over...
Just back to sensible weather conditions and driving me thinks!
What are you talking about I keep my kids on a safety line THAT IS TOO SHORT FOR THEM TO FALL OVER THE SIDE. Putting a child on a line that would alow them to fall overboard and be dragged along with the prop was never mentioned here
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2006, 13:36   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Chris

I looked at different ways of making the jockey seating in my Ocean 6.25 more comfortable for my lads, particularly my youngest, who can’t touch the deck with his feet and tends to slide backwards along the top.

My first thought like yours was motorcycle pillion pegs, but I came to the conclusion that anything I bolted to the seat base would bruise my legs all year, rub them during the summer, and damage my dry suit the rest of the year. The other issue was having to move them down each year as he got bigger.

I’m in the middle of making up my solution. It’s basically a stirrup system.
A tight main webbing strap goes over the seat and fixes on both vertical sides of the fibreglass base near the bottom with large press studs.
This stops any backwards and forwards or up and down movements.
Then using a pair of buckles the stirrup with a plastic base can be moved up and down the main strap as required.
When I’m driving, hopefully by moving the top buckle up the stirrup will pull flat against the vertical side of the base, or by undoing the two poppers can be removed completely, leaving just two small studs down near the deck where they can’t do any harm.

Hope that makes sense.

Nasher
Superb idea - definately the best solution so far
Old 26 April 2006, 13:38   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I thought of the stirrup system but what happens in a flip if the kid gets his foot caught in the stirrup? Doesn't bear thinking about!!!
What you have to weigh up though is likely hood of a flip with young kids on board (ie you shouldnt be blatting along pushing the envelope anyway) against likely hood of child falling off the seat all the time and risking them getting hurt or falling overboard.
Old 26 April 2006, 13:59   #278

Perhaps it's worth mentioning, before we get ourselves too uptight, that the most dangerous aspect of ribbing with kids is driving them in the car to the sea/marina.
Old 26 April 2006, 14:07   #279

Quote:
Perhaps it's worth mentioning, before we get ourselves too uptight, that the most dangerous aspect of ribbing with kids is driving them in the car to the sea/marina.
Very true!!!

I remember being in the back of a dune buggy and being bounced around so much I kept hitting my head on the roll over bar so I obviously wasn't strapped in and we must have been going pretty fast - I was 7.

I also remember jumping out of a jeep traveliing at speed across the desert with my brother - my father must have had a shock when he turned around a few miles later and found we had gone!!! Apparently he was doing about 60mph and it wasn't nice soft sand - it was the baked solid stuff like concrete - I didn't have a scratch but my brother had a few grazes.

The point I am trying to make is kids are tougher than people realise - often tougher than adults cos they have more supple bones etc.

I think most people these days are guilty of mollycoddling kids too much - not always a good thing!!!
Old 26 April 2006, 14:50   #280

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
Mollycoddersing NO but sensible YES. After all I guess my kids are pretty precious to me....