Click Here to Login

Old 18 April 2006, 09:51   #241
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Heck! I thought that you were joking. My youngest is 9 going up to 14, so it's not really an issue for us. However, I'd not be at all comfortable with tying them in or have lengths of rope about the boat. If a kid pops out and is wearing a life jacket, they get wet. If it gets bouncy perhaps sit them on the floor between the jockeys.
Old 18 April 2006, 10:12   #242

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
it is a serious issue i have been wrestling with for months now, how to secure my son in when we are zipping along as he is only 5 3/4, and i beleive there is more risk from him getting thrown out than the boat flipping so i was thinking of some sort of arrangement where he has a short quick release rope to stop him getting flipped out. however there is the issue of if the boat flipped etc what to do then.

if he was a bit bigger and older it would be better i think.

when we were leaving the chichester harbour entrance there was a group of other ribs, a scorpion, an avon and another, we wanted to zip along with them but the sea was a little rough and i was not comfortable trying to drive with one hand holding him so we had to turn back. so need some method of securing him. Is a tricky one cos he loves the rough stuff!
also as a note i noticed a slight puff of smoke when the engine was first started and have never seen any trace of smoke since and only smelt the oil once so i must say these optis are a huge step forward from the old two strokers i used to have. Love it, with the noise you know its on the back but once you get up a little speed it goes very quiet. But i like yoshis as well so it is to be expected i guess
Old 18 April 2006, 10:31   #243
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
it is a serious issue i have been wrestling with for months now, how to secure my son in when we are zipping along as he is only 5 3/4, and i beleive there is more risk from him getting thrown out than the boat flipping so i was thinking of some sort of arrangement where he has a short quick release rope to stop him getting flipped out. however there is the issue of if the boat flipped etc what to do then.

if he was a bit bigger and older it would be better i think.

when we were leaving the chichester harbour entrance there was a group of other ribs, a scorpion, an avon and another, we wanted to zip along with them but the sea was a little rough and i was not comfortable trying to drive with one hand holding him so we had to turn back. so need some method of securing him. Is a tricky one cos he loves the rough stuff!

also as a note i noticed a slight puff of smoke when the engine was first started and have never seen any trace of smoke since and only smelt the oil once so i must say these optis are a huge step forward from the old two strokers i used to have. Love it, with the noise you know its on the back but once you get up a little speed it goes very quiet. But i like yoshis as well so it is to be expected i guess
Sounds like what you need is some sort of bucket seat to hold him in, recaro style etc. Question is where would you fit one, without ruining your already gd layout. The problem with jockeys is that kids legs can't reach the floor, if they could some foot straps and a good hand hold on the jockey in front may be the answer.
Looking good anyway Chris, im sure someone will come up with an idea to make it more family friendly.

Alex
Old 18 April 2006, 10:38   #244

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Heck! I thought that you were joking. My youngest is 9 going up to 14, so it's not really an issue for us. However, I'd not be at all comfortable with tying them in or have lengths of rope about the boat. If a kid pops out and is wearing a life jacket, they get wet. If it gets bouncy perhaps sit them on the floor between the jockeys.
If a kid of age 5 falls out of a boat into 10 degree water and only has a life jacket to stop them from drowning - its highly unlikely they will ever want to get in the boat again.

Attaching them to the boat is the only option - lets face it - you are not going to be getting up to the kind of antics which would put you anywhere near flipping a RIB with 5 year old passengers on board.

Slightly older kids - in the heat of the summer (the only conditions you ever get your boat wet in Alice ) when the kids are in and out of the water playing anyway - and yes I agree with you. But not this time of year...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2006, 10:40   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Sounds like what you need is some sort of bucket seat to hold him in, recaro style etc. Question is where would you fit one, without ruining your already gd layout. The problem with jockeys is that kids legs can't reach the floor, if they could some foot straps and a good hand hold on the jockey in front may be the answer.
Looking good anyway Chris, im sure someone will come up with an idea to make it more family friendly.

Alex
There is no way a 5 year old kid is going to stay strapped in a bucket seat for several hours out on a boat. or anywhere else for that matter.

short length of rope - enough to let them walk around but not enough to go over the side is the perfect answer
Old 18 April 2006, 10:46   #246

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
This works for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15_Yar3_RosieRibRenegade.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	18550  
Old 18 April 2006, 10:53   #247

Umm, it's a difficult one. When mine were tiny I had a 21ft Rinker which was perfect. They would be in car/carry Snug seats and wedged in between the swivel seat and the cuddy bulkhead, it worked a treat. As for getting them dunked and them never wanting to go in a boat again? Not an option that would
be available to my little darlings.

Perhaps, dare I say, there's a school of thought that may consider that small children should not be out in less than moderate conditions in an open high performance boat?
Old 18 April 2006, 11:00   #248

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Nice idea but that would worry me in case of a flip - little chance to get them out and heads down in the water...
My two year old is normally held in one pod. 5 year old is fine on her own.
Careful driving helps - if it got mucky I would put them both on a safety line.
The boat was chosen as she has big high tubes offering plenty of protection and is big and heavy enough to be safe.
I just remember the value of my cargo before chucking the boat about!
Old 18 April 2006, 11:33   #249

i have a large grab handle infront of the passenger seat so he can hold onto that, i think a short length of rope securing him to that grab handle is probably the best option. But need a fast way of disconnecting in case of an emergency.

have been taking it careful with him on board as the last thing you want is to scare the little ones or even worse.

i am also considering fitting flip up foot pegs/rests or something for his feet so they are not dangling, has anyone done anything like this?

thanks for the comments and if anyone else has more ideas then please share
Old 18 April 2006, 11:36   #250

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
But you have to weigh up the odds of a kid falling over board ........

I like that second picture, roycruse.
Old 18 April 2006, 11:38   #251

A toddler seat on hydrastatic release mechanisms, how does that sound?
Old 18 April 2006, 11:44   #252

send me a piccy, that may help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
A toddler seat on hydrastatic release mechanisms, how does that sound?
Old 18 April 2006, 12:18   #253

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
Quote:
i have a large grab handle infront of the passenger seat so he can hold onto that, i think a short length of rope securing him to that grab handle is probably the best option. But need a fast way of disconnecting in case of an emergency.

have been taking it careful with him on board as the last thing you want is to scare the little ones or even worse.

i am also considering fitting flip up foot pegs/rests or something for his feet so they are not dangling, has anyone done anything like this?

Totally agree about the foot pegs - good way to help little dangling feet on consoles. Folding is a good idea. Have looked at the ones used on BMX bikes as they wuold be easy to mount on a temp basis. Freestyle pegs I think they used to be called - cheap too and available in several finishes. Screw on rather than fold though.
Old 18 April 2006, 13:33   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker

I like that second picture, roycruse.
Thanks - we were having a great day.
Old 18 April 2006, 13:45   #255

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:

Yes I was thinking of the foot pegs. There are a few places doing folding mast or transom steps - marine grade and fairly flush fitting.
Old 18 April 2006, 14:10   #256

Excelent idea codprawn

http://www.mastwalker.com/mastwalker.html
Old 18 April 2006, 14:44   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Did look at those but I rem,ember seeing some that were flush mounting - will keep looking!!!

Another option would be webbing stirrups just draped over the seat but not as secure - advatages though would be fully adjustable and no mods to the boat!!!
Old 18 April 2006, 15:35   #258

these look to be the best bet for functionality and price etc

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...1-091548f61cf1

if anyone knows where i can get them cheaper to save on postage that would be cool
Old 18 April 2006, 17:11   #259

Quote:
these look to be the best bet for functionality and price etc

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...1-091548f61cf1

if anyone knows where i can get them cheaper to save on postage that would be cool

Yup those were the ones!!!
Old 18 April 2006, 17:32   #260

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Well done Chris, good to see your new boat in the water.

As to the foot peg issue, what about rear set's off a bike. Might find some on e-blag that you could modify.

When are you coming up to robin hood land????