Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIB gallery
Click Here to Login

Old 11 May 2017, 21:10   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Gurnard despite you experiencing a brief headwind in posting I appreciate you continuing the story.
Old 11 May 2017, 23:15   #22

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 twatsu
Beautiful filming, inspirational. Fabulous. Keep em coming!
Old 12 May 2017, 10:53   #23

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks again for the comments guys..its appreciated

Im still playing with video on my written adventures. It is in an effort to help give a better way to visualise the journeys than my normal photo blogs.

Its only to give myself an interest and learn something new ... as I have plenty time on my hands now Im retired..and some days are not suitable for small boats.

So any comments regarding the structure of the video report will be very welcome.

I realise some clips are a bit too short..an example being the fishing boat clip in the first video. It appears then disappears quickly. The reason is due to camera shake. When I edit the clips.. I look for reasonably smooth horizons. Sometimes I have to put the camera down quickly too..(as I have to drive the boat as I hold the camera). ..so although some clips are initially longer..I have to shorten them. Hope all that makes sense ?

If you think the still photos last too long..or should be longer ..just yell on that too...as I'm interested to know.

Im also still learning editing software..as perhaps I should have the words scroll in the clips ..instead of writing them on still photo shots...so that could possibly improve too.

I use my small compact camera..and it gives good quality footage.. but I have been debating over buying a Go Pro with a sucker foot .. (to stick on my baldy head..to see if it gives steadier footage.) so any of you video guys..I would be interested in any thoughts on that matter. Is it worth the expense ?

I realise they are waterproof..which my own camera is not. My camera is also a pain when sand gets near the lens protectors..as it can jam them half open and I don’t notice until later.. when I view a ruined photo.

This is the camera I use..Its great for stills .. and using on dry land. Sony Rx100III

So any comments are appreciated..in the hope it will give you guys a better video to view...and helps me learn a new hobby.

Im still working on day 3 and 4 of this Adventure..so any improvements will be in future ones.
Old 12 May 2017, 11:33   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I have a variety of "Go-Pro" like cameras, including a genuine version.
The look-a-likes seem to me to be just as good if not better.
My Camlink wi-fi 4k Ultra HD seems to me to be the best of the lot. When I bought it it costs £100 or so but I believe you can get one a lot cheaper now.
On e-bay and elsewhere you cam get one for £60 or so.
4K Ultra HD Action Camera Wi-Fi Black | CL-AC40 | Camlink
It has a viewing screen and comes with a heck of a lot in-the-box.

Hope this helps.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 12:06   #25

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi gurnard

great vids personally i like your stills best not that the video is in anyway sub standard its just i like to study the picture especially rock formations and the like OMO keep um coming what ever
Old 12 May 2017, 12:11   #26

Town: Alcester
Boat name: Shy Talk
Make: Highfield OM460t
Engine: Honda 50
Hi Gurnard, what a great story.. I love camping from my boat on the West coast of Scotland but I have never had the bottle to go as far as you did on this trip.. I towed my Zodiac classic Mk2 with 20 hp Yam 4 stroke to Resipole, Loch Sunart, The campite there let me park the car and trailer for a very small fee, and use their concrete launching slipway into Loch Sunart... I went to Carna for the first night as it was getting late, a great place and no roads !!!, then I spent the next few days going around Ardnamurchan, Loch Moidart, Loch Ailort and Loch nan Ceall, there were lots of places to stop for a break and/or camp and we didnt see many other boats as you say, I have done this twice now and really enjoy it... I have now got a small RIB (Highfield OM460 with a Honda 50hp and cant wait to get up there again, may even try a similar route to yours out to the Islands. The Zodiac was very heavy at the start, two adult males loads of camping gear, food for 8 days,fishing gear, fuel and drink for 8 days !!
Old 12 May 2017, 17:08   #27

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Cracking videos chief.

I cant give you any recommendations on go pro or equivalent as I'm not that up to date on them. What I do know is that a cap mount works quite well though.
Old 12 May 2017, 19:38   #28

Many thanks for the info and comments guys.

I will get round to answering some thoughts based on your info ... tomorrow.

I had a long day trying to master Video Titles.. but hopefully I have been winning.

I have now titled the video for Day Three ..and I think it helps the flow of the movie a lot better. Hopefully you will too.

So here is Day Three

I will get day four..which was the last day .. published as soon as I get it done

Enjoy
The Gurnard
Old 13 May 2017, 05:37   #29

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Brilliant video and pictures - thank you.

I quite enjoy the planning - it's part of the hobby. Whilst I mark out routes on charts and write the tides down I have to admit that I'm a convert to a chart plotter and my hand bearing compass has yet to be used in anger.

Out of interest - do you log any of your passages with the local coastguard? Whilst I don't in the Solent, during last year's trip to the Outer Hebrides, I radioed Stornoway Coastguard and gave them a brief dit on what I was up to on a daily basis.

It felt like a bit of overkill but the CG didn't mind and it certainly gave me a bit of peace of mind plus it was a handy radio check.

The RYA offer a SafeTrx app that you can passage plan on and will alert a nominated person if you don't arrive at your ETA. I've never used it and whether there is sufficient coverage in the remote locations to make it worthwhile I don't know.

Once again, thank you for the report.
Old 13 May 2017, 07:35   #30

Hi GuyC .. thanks for posting and you make some very good points so I will do my best to answer them

This photo is taken approx 1-2 mile from Eigg ..heading for Loch Ailort. The compass shows my bearing. You can see the haze on the horizon makes land marks on the mainland impossible to see. The last day video which I will post ... also has video footage to prove poor mainland visibility.

I will mention ..around half way across I asked Duggie if he could see Rois Bheinn yet..as my eyesight is like most pensioners..not as sharp as it was. (Rois Bhienn..is a mountain at Loch Ailort and is my transit point in good visibility.)

He couldn’t but said.. I will check where we are on my GPS app. He brought out his phone..but couldn’t get it to work. His reason was.. “My hands are too wet to work the touchscreen” Which is the very reason I strongly advise SIB skippers NOT to use such GPS Gizzmos.

Re my chosen crossing route.. shown on this map..

I agree I am further south of Loch Ailort than a GPS course would follow. But as far as I am concerned ..its a “ text book” transit crossing made with map and compass in poor visibility..(which can also mean dense fog.)

When I was around mid channel of the 10 mile crossing..both waves and wind were increasing slightly so I headed a little further south than my original course. This was to help combat the tide pushing me north ..which runs at 3 knots in the sound..and the wind and waves ..which were all pushing me in a northerly direction too.

Its hard to judge just what effect these forces have when you have no transit lines to monitor. So as mentioned..I followed “text book” navigation by compass in such a situation..ie.. head further off from your chosen destination.. so when you reach the coast.. and may still not be identify a land mark.. you know for certain which way to follow the coast..to you arrive where you want to be.

If you arrive near your chosen destination.. but cant recognise where you are..you then don’t know for certain which way to turn along the coast to reach your destination. Taking my route..I knew for certain..when I reached the coast..I turned North to get to loch Ailort. I hope that makes sense..its the way I was taught to navigate..there may be other ways..but this way works for me.

So guys..now you can decide for yourselves who was lost ... as I was certainly not lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I'm a convert to a chart plotter and my hand bearing compass has yet to be used in anger.
Yup.. I would recommend a chart plotter

However do remember Im in a small wet SIB.. away from home often a couple of weeks at a time with no method to charge such electrical powered gear.. the outboards don't charge .. which is why I use maps and compass bearings. I can use GPS plotters in an emergency .. but wonder how many folks with GPS plotters can use maps and compass in an emergency ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Out of interest - do you log any of your passages with the local coastguard? Whilst I don't in the Solent,.
Good point too.. any yes..if Im going to do a difficult crossing..then I will notify coastguard ..so I know they have no problem getting that info. I also notify police if Im leaving my trailer and car in a lay by for several days. On this adventure ..I didn’t notify CG as there were no difficult crossings ..and I regularly leave my car and trailer at loch ailort .. locals will recognise it. Arisaig area to me..is like the Solent area to you..its my local patch.

My brother was kept up to date with my progress at the end of each day. He did the same for me..because during this good spell of weather..he and four other kayakers paddled from Carsaig Bay.. through the Corryvrechan.. down Jura..then across to Oronsay and Colonsay..then back again. We are both in our sixties and have spent a life time on the seas..so again

I will get the last part of the video up when its done

< This post has been edited by a moderator >
Old 13 May 2017, 08:52   #31
RIBnet Supporter

I have edited the above post to reflect the forum's Courtesy policy. The debate about plotters and the meaning of Lost can continue so long as the tone is friendly.

IMO, Lost is a somewhat loose term and means different things to different people. GPS users don't do not knowing precisely when they are. Compass and watch people are happy knowing where they are not.

Gurnard - cruising by compass and chart (or road map?) alone is your choice - it certainly wouldn't be for everyone. I know you're not a luddite as you have all the camera and PC kit so I presume you must be aware that an AA battery plotting marine GPS is a perfectly doable and workable item to carry for a week afloat. Trying to put wee SIB people off them on principle seems a bit strange to me.
Old 13 May 2017, 09:04   #32

Thanks Willk..I have no problem you editing my post as its forum policy .

Can I ask why you leave Duggie's disrespectful remarks on myself in the thread though..I would have though that was against forum policy too ?

The point I'm making re GPS is.. smart phones which have GPS apps .. did not work in this instance..because of wet fingers. I think that is a very important point to make.

I have agreed a Chart Plotter is the way to go. I'm happy with maps and compass..and have taken the time to explain the route...and my reasoning for it..do you think I was in danger of getting lost ?
Old 13 May 2017, 09:22   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Thanks Willk..I have no problem you editing my post as its forum policy .

Can I ask why you leave Duggie's disrespectful remarks on myself in the thread though..I would have though that was against forum policy too ?

The point I'm making re GPS is.. smart phones which have GPS apps .. did not work in this instance..because of wet fingers. I think that is a very important point to make.

I have agreed a Chart Plotter is the way to go. I'm happy with maps and compass..and have taken the time to explain the route...and my reasoning for it..do you think I was in danger of getting lost ?
In order:
There's no policy about respect. I appreciate that there's an overlap. Duggie seems to think you were (both) lost. It may not be very diplomatic to point that out here but there you go. Personally I prefer "what goes on tour, stays on tour".
His smartphone would have been fine in a freezer bag - a nice low tech solution for him that you would approve of . I'd make a distinction between the various receivers of GPS. Obviously those designed for marine use have the edge. Plotters are the ideal, but one of the other solutions may suit SIB users. I've navigated in extremely dense fog using just a smart phone and I'd have been on the rocks without it (or at anchor, waiting).
Do I think you were lost? I can't know that - but you certainly weren't going to end up in Ireland! If I had to guess, I'd say that you were doing what you normally do and hadn't quite communicated the amount of "flex" in the plan - thus the idea that you were "lost" was born. At the heel of the hunt it sounds like you both didn't get on and that's between you two. I've asked duggie12 to let the matter lie here and I'm sure you'll oblige as well.

Excellent trip BTW. I'd be jealous but I was out on Thursday and saw whales, so I'm in top form
Old 13 May 2017, 09:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Personally I prefer "what goes on tour, stays on tour"
Yup..I agree 100%

And that has normally been my policy..I do write up as you know..but don't go into personal details...nor do I post recognisable photos of folks faces that were on the trip.. and I do make folk aware I post the trip reports before we start. You have been on one..so will know that's the case

Quote:
A smartphone would have been fine in a freezer bag - a nice low tech solution for him that you would approve of .
Again I agree..

I have the exact same app on my phone ..which was in a poly bag but in the drawer on my SIB console.

I didn't require it. I tend to follow the Mountain Rescue Code because I spend a lot of time in the mountains as you know. They recommend hill walkers to use Map and Compass first and foremost .. GPS as a backup. I realise sea going folks don't.. but as I have a foot in both camps.. I tend to stick with my chosen methods.

Quote:
I'd be jealous but I was out on Thursday and saw whales, so I'm in top form

Now I am jealous..but then again..Im in a small SIB.. I don't know if I would be as happy having a whale slap my bottom ..in the manner dolphins slap it.
Think they thought the Guppy was for mating with last time I saw them. I suspect the dolphins in Bay of Laig were the same ones I saw off Arisaig. Even dolphins have been known to kill humans

Part Four Video will follow when its done
Old 13 May 2017, 10:38   #35

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Enough of the thread drift ! Keep 'em coming Gurnard . Always a delight to hear about your adventures
Old 13 May 2017, 11:35   #36

Thanks Bern..and I agree the personal stuff has no place on the forum.

However it is sometimes good to discuss different techniques too. Then we can see each other’s reasons of doing things differently..as everyone’s boats and sea habits are often very different.

An example is.. I don’t use road maps to navigate.. but I don’t use marine charts either.

I use OS maps at 25 scale.

The reason that works for me is.. (apart from the fact I have the whole of Scotland in OS maps) In my type of boating.. Im hugging the coastline as close as reasonably possible.

Im not navigating oceans...nor am I interested in how deep it is below my keel when in open water. Im looking for sandy bays to land it..land marks to explore ..rocks to avoid etc. I tend to find the detail for my personal needs is far more detailed in the OS maps..which I find very accurate to low water mark.

Example

This is where I camped in Canna..in Navionics free “in your footsteps” website (It may be more detailed in a fully paid up version ? )

And here it is in my OS map which I use for navigation in my SIB adventures.

OK..I know the OS map doesn’t show the overfalls and tide races etc.. but I had referred to that data from online charts and other references....then written it on my small overview map...so I did know it.

What am I missing by not using the marine charts ?.. keeping in mind..Im hugging the coast line in my type of boating.

Im interest to learn too.
Old 13 May 2017, 13:41   #37

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Excellent video and write-up Gurnard. Was reassuring to see some footage of Duggie by day 3.
Old 13 May 2017, 17:30   #38

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Excellent video gurnard a least your method of navigation won't be affected by cyber attack
Old 13 May 2017, 17:51   #39

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
The Clyde Cruising Club does some excellent guides on sailing on the West coast of Scotland and mentions using 1:25000 OS maps where the maritime charts aren`t of an adequate scale.

https://www.clyde.org/publications/
Old 13 May 2017, 18:51   #40

Hi again guys.

@GuyC .. yup..I have read a few of the Clyde Cruising Club guides. My father had them when yachting around these areas. My uncle was a founder of Troon sailing Club..and then both were members of Troon Cruising club..so a lot of history there

@Jeff .. I know a fellow SIBber who had a portable GPS.. dropped it on the shore..it broke..he had no idea what to do. I guess I could loose my paper maps too..but batteries dont run out in them

@Spartacus .. glad you liked the videos. Hey..plan B for me..if the weather blows up.. I get the Ferry home from Canna..or Rum..or Eigg..so the islands are not that remote. Neither of us needed to catch the ferry though.

.. I have now finish the final part of my Video Adventure.

The ending is quite abrupt ..but I could think of no better way to finish this one. After all .. the real life ending has already been discussed...and there is little more to be said on that matter.

Im still going to get back to those who offered info on cameras and video methods..as I have a couple more questions..but that will be tomorrow now.

Enjoy
The gurnard

Tags
sib