Old 19 November 2010, 16:26   #41

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Hi Gotchiguy

Quote:
If you're interested I've got a fair few pics of Jigsaw, both from that trip and a couple of other occasions when we have seen her if you were interested.
Its a bit like stumbling across pictures of your current wife/girlfriend with her ex.....

Quote:
P.P.S. that boat has an odd fairground style handle that wraps around the suicide on the disco. Quite natty methinks!
[/quote]

Agree.....dont think i will be adding anything like that to 'Gwenn Ah Gwer' (Jigsaw)

The website describes the boat as 'unsinkable' ........hmmm, IMHO no boat should ever be described as that, a bit too much like tempting fate to me.

Never the less, its still a nice boat though.

Im popping down to Nantes Monday to pick up a temporary trailer from 'Pablo44' This will allow me to move Gwenn Ah Gwer as she is stuck in a barn at the mo. Hoping to finish the build of her proper trailer by the begining of next year . At least from now until then i will be able to get her wet and try her out .....probably on the Rance.

Simon
Old 19 November 2010, 17:28   #42
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
.....probably on the Rance.

Simon
Well I hope you have fun

However be aware that there is a ten knot speed limit and with that fanfare round the back, you're bound to attract attention

There are a couple of fairly good slips along the Rance, and there is even a dry stack facility whose owner we know, although it is a little compromised in its position re the tides. If you need any info on the area, from slipways to pubs don't hesitate to PM.

PS. If you ever feel adventurous enough to brave the open sea, we have a mooring at Dinard which will most likely be unoccupied throughout winter and you might like to make use of since Into the Red will most likely remain landlocked over winter. However this is still subject to debate with GD. If the weather suddenly perks up or by some other miracle she gets out, it would be nice to say hi
Old 19 November 2010, 18:59   #43

However be aware that there is a ten knot speed limit and with that fanfare round the back, you're bound to attract attention

What!!, Bedajim told me that the fancy outboard cover fitted over the Opti deadened the noise right down?....

PS. If you ever feel adventurous enough to brave the open sea, we have a mooring at Dinard which will most likely be unoccupied throughout winter and you might like to make use of since Into the Red will most likely remain landlocked over winter. However this is still subject to debate with GD. If the weather suddenly perks up or by some other miracle she gets out, it would be nice to say hi [/quote]

Thanks, very kind of you...I think she will probably only go out the once until next season....a bit of a 'shakedown' cruise if you will....

We know the Rance reasonably well, we used to launch at Saint Jouran or Saint Suliac or failing that in St Malo then through the lock. (Saw a lovely Bavaria 36 nearly de-mast itself last season as we advanced in the lock and he forgot about the road bridge above him...ouch)
We pop over to l'isle de Sezambre quite a bit also, we throw the little Zodiac Cadet in and use it as a tender to get to the beach...

Definately be good to catch up sometime though

Simon
Old 19 November 2010, 19:39   #44
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
, we throw the little Zodiac Cadet in and use it as a tender to get to the beach...
We used to launch our first boat, which has now become our tender (2.6m Cadet with merc 3.3) at Dinard at make to crossing out to Cezembre quite regularly, now that is an adventure

I'm sure with the VM though you'll see past Cezembre, there are plenty of WAFIs and small powerboat owners who think a trip up there is a day cruise, but in the VM it becomes a matter of 8/9mins or less if its rough and theres no one about. Chausey was a regular haunt of ours in the 4.2 Zodiac, but once again is an evening pootle in the VM.

We've done the 34 miles to Jersey in 1hr 7mins, in a f3 but when it was 6 gusting 8 it took over 3 and a half hours. Around here the sea is very variable.

Next season we plan on exploring Sark and Herm in more depth, having only paid a fleeting visit last year.

Minquiers is also pretty, and plenty of places to explore

We spent a week over to the west last year too, visiting Brehat and Ploumanch both of which were absolutely gorgeous, the entrance to Ploumanach is absolutely spectacular. From our cruising so far, around 80miles/day is the maximum for pleasure, up to around f4. (Obviously further is possible but its stupid not to visit the little ports along the way).

I know you're familiar with the area, but a boat like the VM has a massive cruising capability in very adverse conditions, and I think you will be surprised how effortless covering large distances can be

P.S. What aux are you planning on strapping to the bracket - or not as the case may be

P.P.S. How have you managed to retain the engine cover if you're changing the name?
Old 19 November 2010, 20:12   #45

Quote:
We spent a week over to the west last year too, visiting Brehat and Ploumanch both of which were absolutely gorgeous, the entrance to Ploumanach is absolutely spectacular. From our cruising so far, around 80miles/day is the maximum for pleasure, up to around f4. (Obviously further is possible but its stupid not to visit the little ports along the way).
Yep, Brehat is magnificent we first visited as a passanger on the 'vedettes' then took our Valiant there last year for a few days...

Quote:
I know you're familiar with the area, but a boat like the VM has a massive cruising capability in very adverse conditions, and I think you will be surprised how effortless covering large distances can be
How many more months before the start of next season.....looking forward to it very much.

Quote:
P.S. What aux are you planning on strapping to the bracket - or not as the case may be
Always use an auxy, but our little 3.5 Johnson nearly had a fit when i introduced it to the Vipermax
Will be investing in a 6-8hp something or other before next season.

Quote:
P.P.S. How have you managed to retain the engine cover if you're changing the name?
[/quote]
Dont want to lose the cover so currently looking at having a patch sewn over 'Jigsaw' with 'Gwenn Ah Gwer' on it.

We spend quite a bit of time on the Cap Sizun and visit l'Isle de Sein quite often....From Audierne its only about 17miles but we enjoy it, its a nice day out. Like you say though, the Valiant we had is worlds apart from the Osprey so we will definately be heading further next season. We will probably put in on the North side of the Cap and head to Isle de Molene and Ouessant...Never been to Ouessant so looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the advice btw....always appreciated.

Simon
Old 19 November 2010, 20:29   #46
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
You are the first person to ever say that to me on here

We too had to take the vedette at one embarrassing stage where the boat was landlocked in Paimpol but the tent was on Brehat

The Vedettes de Brehat sailor has come last in the RdR though unfortunately.

As a final word of "advice" get this book, unless you already have it....it is absolutely superb, with plotted courses into nearly every cove and inlet, as well as every single port in the CIs and north coast. It is our target to visit every port in there at some stage with the VM!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Ancho.../dp/0852887574
Old 19 November 2010, 20:38   #47
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Back on topic, I always liked the look of this 7.8m VM with 200HPDIs. Lives in Ireland I believe, anyone got any better/more pics?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oSPREY.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	55605  
Old 19 November 2010, 20:42   #48

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Back on topic, I always liked the look of this 7.8m VM with 200HPDIs. Lives in Ireland I believe, anyone got any better/more pics?
That does not look good Too much weight at the back it would not be a comfortable ride and horrible in the waves.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2010, 21:29   #49
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That does not look good Too much weight at the back it would not be a comfortable ride and horrible in the waves.

I think the picture distorts it to look worse than it is, but I agree, the tubes are well into the water whereas they should be a good three-five inches off.

On paper though, a 7.8 with twin 200HPDIs surely is not something to sniff at. Didn't nugent nearly build one very similar to this, along with the twin 200s?
Old 19 November 2010, 22:19   #50

Quote:
I think the picture distorts it to look worse than it is, but I agree, the tubes are well into the water whereas they should be a good three-five inches off.

On paper though, a 7.8 with twin 200HPDIs surely is not something to sniff at. Didn't nugent nearly build one very similar to this, along with the twin 200s?
That looks like a 7 meter

Born fiddler
Old 20 November 2010, 12:03   #51
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
That looks like a 7 meter
I didn't think anyone would be crazy enough to put that much power on a 7m, it's only theoretically rated to 115 AFAIK

Since this is the Osprey thread, what ever happened to the owners association site, sounds as if a lot of effort went into that?

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...=osprey+owners
Old 20 November 2010, 18:26   #52

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Since this is the Osprey thread, what ever happened to the owners association site, sounds as if a lot of effort went into that?

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...=osprey+owners
I think old man Manning saw the light and converted to Avon.
Old 20 November 2010, 19:42   #53
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
what ever happened to the owners association site, sounds as if a lot of effort went into that?
The server it was on went down and lost the layout. Pity because there was some good info and a great selection of photos.

I've still got a lot of the content and may well get round to redoing it next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
saw the light and converted to Avon.
Ideal tool for towing broken O*****s.
Old 20 November 2010, 19:49   #54

Quote:
it's only theoretically rated to 115 AFAIK
A 7 meter is rated to 250 or twin 115 a 7.5 is rated to twin 150 or 300 single either way its grossly over weight at the back end.

http://www.ospreyribs.com/ribs/osprey-spec-viper.pdf

Born fiddler
Old 20 November 2010, 21:29   #55
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
A 7 meter is rated to 250 or twin 115 a 7.5 is rated to twin 150 or 300 single either way its grossly over weight at the back end.

http://www.ospreyribs.com/ribs/osprey-spec-viper.pdf
I wouldn't trust that spec sheet with my cat's life, and having been picked up for being slightly inaccurate on other occasions I thought it better to include the theoretically

(And I don't even have a cat)
Old 21 November 2010, 00:31   #56

Quote:
I wouldn't trust that spec sheet with my cat's life
Nor would I

Quote:
having been picked up for being slightly inaccurate on other occasions I thought it better to include the theoretically
I see a future in politics for you, gotchi
Old 21 November 2010, 06:46   #57

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Osprey eagle rated at 115hp but flew wid my 130hp yam strapped to it no chine walk either,,

i have also seen a 5.6 eagle with 150hp opti on it, this was parked up in beumarris few weeks ago,, brown streaky pants job me finks, very supprised transom could handle it,

i fabricated some nice stainless strengtheners for mine, but never fitted them, as it never cracked the many years old gel coat first few outings, so presumed that yet again Osprey boats are built Right,
Old 21 November 2010, 08:54   #58
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I see a future in politics for you, gotchi
No no no! Thats exactly what the Careers woman reckons, that I should be a politician or else a lawyer (in the marine sector of course)
Old 21 November 2010, 09:09   #59

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
No no no! Thats exactly what the Careers woman reckons, that I should be a politician or else a lawyer (in the marine sector of course)
Suggest to the "Careers Woman" that she should perhaps, consider another career.
Old 21 November 2010, 09:51   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Suggest to the "Careers Woman" that she should perhaps, consider another career.