Old 17 September 2004, 14:13   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Shipping Ribs to USA

Just picked up my boat shipped from Southampton to California USA.
Had used a RO/RO company as they were half the cost of a similar containerised service.
Simon at Completefreight arranged pickup and shipping as they specialize in boats and marine freight.simon@completefreight.net <simon@completefreight.net>
Happy to say the boat arrived safely even after dodging 2 hurricanes and processing at Port Hueneme was quick and efficient.
So many thanks to Simon for a friendly, efficient and economical service; Great Job!!!!
Cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webark.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	8261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web DSC00026.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	8262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web bug.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	8263  
Old 17 September 2004, 17:05   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Hope you have loads of fun with it - thanks for the tip on the shipping people - may come in useful
Old 17 September 2004, 17:16   #3

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Looks well, can't wait to hear how you get on with her!! I'm sure you'll be very impressed.
Old 17 September 2004, 17:27   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Did you ship her on the trailer or source that in the US?
Old 17 September 2004, 17:48   #5
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Dont Forget To Rasie The Jockey Wheel
Old 18 September 2004, 00:47   #6

Alan,
the trailer was made to order in the US.(Luckily was a local firm couple of miles away)
I had considered shipping it on a roller trailer but we have different lighting regulations over here. the lights are fixed; and the tail lights and side running lights are fully submersible. Also it's considered a licensed vehicle over here with it's own number plate;so easier to register a US built trailer.
Also there was no real need for a roller trailer as all our launch ramps are very steep and paved so "hopefully" straight forward bunks will suffice.(seems roller trailers over here are reserved for larger style boats which are more difficult to launch).
I had the frame dropped "V" to accomadate the hull' rather than straight cross members; so it puts the boat closer to the water for launching.

It was shipped on a steel and wood cradle which was fork-liftable.
I made a couple of "bunks"out of 6"x2" wood and carpet ;which I bridged the gap between the cradle and the trailer and used the trailer winch to slide off the boat up onto the trailer.So worked well(especially as I was one my own)

Have to put on registration numbers on the bow over here which I am getting shipped from the UK (wildgraphics.co ) So will give me a few days while my dealer fits my Suzuki engine.
Thanks for all your best wishes,(SWginn; see what you mean about this hull;looks as though it's going to be fun handling)
Will keep you all posted,
cheers Dal
Old 18 September 2004, 01:16   #7

Don't forget to post loads of pics!!!
Old 18 September 2004, 05:43   #8

will do!
Ribs are a bit of a rarity over here and I have had 2 responses from all that see the boat.. Either "why not buy a real boat" or "Are you in the coastguard?"
Guess I have some serious RIB promotion and education to do!
My other hobby is photography, so hoping to get some good shots as soon as she is on the water.
Have some great waters to cruise over here and lots of interesting sites, so looking forward to sharing them
cheers Dal
Old 18 September 2004, 14:12   #9

Town: Torrance
Out of interest having spent a fair amount of time in CA was it cheaper to buy in the UK and have it shipped out? If so RIBS must be rare or just expensive there!

Or was it because you wanted that particular type of boat?

SG
Old 18 September 2004, 18:00   #10

Town: West Sussex
East of Selsy Bill

SG

I see you are from Ockley, well just up the A29 from me . Where do you launch your rib? Not many of us from RibNet on this side of Selsy Bill .

Andre
Old 18 September 2004, 18:02   #11

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER
was it cheaper to buy in the UK and have it shipped out? If so RIBS must be rare or just expensive there! Or was it because you wanted that particular type of boat? SG
Same question here. IMHO boats in the US cost less than 1/2 the amount the cost in Europe.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 18:34   #12

Town: Torrance
Hi Andre... used to go my Newhaven as lived in Lewes unfortunately due to work commitments and having my old boat stolen in June followed by 2 months waiting for insurance money and then another 2 looking for new one and getting that seaworthy I haven't made it out out since I lived here

Understand from work collegue that Littlehampton is good though...
Old 18 September 2004, 19:27   #13

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER
Hi Andre... used to go my Newhaven as lived in Lewes unfortunately due to work commitments and having my old boat stolen in June followed by 2 months waiting for insurance money and then another 2 looking for new one and getting that seaworthy I haven't made it out out since I lived here

Understand from work collegue that Littlehampton is good though...
SG

Littlehampton is Ok but you must keep checking the tides. I will be down again next saturday and HW is at 9:34 AM . You can launch at the public slip for pounds 6.00 which is by the RNLI. Perhaps we can meet up

sorry for hijacking this thread
Old 18 September 2004, 21:16   #14

Sg, a little of both in my choice to ship out to the US.
I am from the UK. but have worked mainly in the US over the past years and now live permanently there.
I had looked at boats readily available in the US.but they were mainly kitted out as an inshore tourer(Bench seats/ shallow hull etc).
The only manufacturer of what I consider a decent boat was Ribcraft up in Boston. They quoted a 5.85 with 90HP for about $32,000.
But to ship to San Diego was an additional $3,000.
So started to get a bit pricey for me.
I got a great deal on a showroom display Suzuki DF90 from a local dealer,so started looking for just the boat.
A buddy from Romsey went to the boat show and saw the xS-Ribs and told me how impressed he was with the boat and the finish(He runs a Ribcraft) So together with reviews and online research ,I decided to take a chance and go with XS-Rib.They seemed a great deal and even with the $1,800 on top to eventually ship it,it still worked out cheaper.Plus I got the boat I really wanted with extras like built in fuel tank,pod seating for 5 and hydraulic steering,
cheers Dal
Old 20 September 2004, 00:55   #15

Ribs really are very rare in the states - just do a search on ebay and you will see what I mean!

As most Ribs are made in the UK or Europe they are NOT going to be cheaper in the USA!

When the RIB market takes off in the states it will be huge - people like Zodiac with the CZ7 are aiming it right I reckon - going for the Hummer type market!
Old 20 September 2004, 04:05   #16

Half agree with you. I think the potential is huge over here,but not many can afford the $180,000 or so I think the CZ7 goes for.
The only way to get people hooked on these is to get a good quality product out there for a reasonable cost. Most of my friends have no idea how versatile a RIB is and so wont lay out 20 or 30 thousand dollars plus on a boat they know nothing about and have little history on.
I have many friends out here who love their "toys" and take recreation very seriously; whether it be RV's /dune buggies/hard boats etc.
The California "scene" is ideal to break through in this field. They love the "Xtreme" sports in every way.
Get a decent RIb out here to support the existing sports of scuba/cruising/surfing /tourism etc and I think you would find a swing in opinion. Then they are more likely to part with their "Toy " allowance .
Until then the "Hummer crowd" are likely to be having all the fun ,but pretty much on their own.
cheers Dal
Old 20 September 2004, 06:08   #17

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I was talking to some friends of mine in the US (Florida in the Keys) this weekend about this RIB idea and its potential.
Their opinion was that it may be quite difficult to brake through in the market and that you will need a high capital investment without been sure for the return. A market that as they say is quite saturated with boats.
The reason as they explained it, is because the Americans like their luxuries and for say $70-80K (the average price of the cheaper good quality 7 mtr RIB in Europe) they can have a a very nice hard boat 33-38ft that they can take in the lakes, also the Ocean, cruise in comfort, sleep in it and also go fishing.
For the money a RIB costs (and if you add transportation and tax, probably will be quite high) they could not see that it will be easy for people to go for an open hull with plastic tubes, with no protection from the elements and nothing else (as they described it).
But this is what they think in Florida, may be in California they think differently.
Old 21 September 2004, 05:27   #18

Manos,
think you nailed it pretty accurately !!!
Couple of points though, that I think would appeal to the Californian's.
Here in San Diego we have a huge tourism industry and many varied tours around"The Big Bay" as they promote it. However they are all pretty sedate and not much fun for the younger crowd. Combine the tour aspect as well as the "theme Park" fun of a Rib tour and I think it would have great appeal.
(Especially as the Navy Seal teams run their Ribs out of here and you should see the interest that draws!)
My ideal would be a "theme tour" based on Special OPS with all black Ribs
kitted out like the ribcraft Mitigator.(OK, we can all dream! )

Secondly there are some great dive locations here.But all the ones I went on include the "Stately" hour or so cruise to the Coronados islands or such. Imagine going like a "Bat out of Hell "instead and the ride being half the fun (and also half the time )

Thirdly in the winter we have the grey whale migration just a couple of miles offshore;again a great use for a Rib.

So, I think what you say is true, but you can't blame me for wanting to change that just a little!!
cheers Dal
Old 22 September 2004, 12:38   #19

Town: Carolina Beach NC
Boat name: Sea Angel
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m
Engine: Optimax 115
Ahhh. Nice to hear discussion about ribs in the US. I just went through the process of putting a boat together here in North Carolina. What a pain. I evenutally ordered a pro 600 Zodiac because I could get it bare and build it solid the way I wanted with out all the normal foo foo that comes on american RIBS. I am happy with the outcome although it was a fair amount of work to do. I now am running it as a family adventure charter here at the meeting of the Cape Fear River and the Atlantic. I am doing sightseeing, history, wildlife type tours and so far there is pretty keen interest. A big element is how "fun" the RIB looks. There has been significant interest in the boat, gauged by the many comments and heads turned. I personally belive there may be a pent up demand for these boats if one could find them built in country at a "reasonable" price. Good nitch to be developed here I think.
Old 23 September 2004, 12:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
So, I think what you say is true, but you can't blame me for wanting to change that just a little!! cheers Dal
Dal not for one minute. I wish all the success you can have. I just wrote my thoughts about this very expenssive venture you letting your self in.
GOOD LUCK