Old 15 June 2016, 17:00   #41

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> before returning to Largs...and home.

Interestingly Largs (well Fairlie) was my home a while ago... I say a while... actually 1957 when I was one. Fenlander snr was a construction engineer on the... not totally popular at the time... Hunterston A nuclear power station opposite Little Cumbrae. It was his stories of escapades on leaky hired puffers with iffy engines that prompted my interest in returning north of the border as an adult.. as we have done each year since for most of the past 35+ years.

>>>make a mix of sikaflex and PVC glue ..to plug the hole and make the plug flush with the outside of the black PVC layer. Once its cured off .. Two part PVC glue a big patch over the plug and black PVC..if that makes sense. Whadda ya think ?

Yes or an alternative would be to slit that exposed red PVC each side from the hole giving just enough room to get in some glue and a folded small inner patch... fiddly but just possible and perhaps too invasive??
Old 15 June 2016, 17:26   #42

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Fenlander .. As a contractor.. I sometimes had to do work in Hunterston A ..and out of hours work at that. I couldn't believe how easy it was to get into the place..considering it was a nuclear power station.. but there was a few times I had great difficulty getting out.

It was an automated exit.. a big turnstyle gate..but for it to turn..you had to put your hands on a plate in the wall..and your feet in another plate in the floor. The difficulty was.. it often didn't open the turnstyle and at night..there was no one around to call to open it. Of course that was before elf and safety took off.

Will try the plug..but will remove some more black PVC to get a bigger area round the red. Im a bit wary making the hole any larger..if the plug fails ..I can then try an internal patch before the external one. Its never deflated..so hopefully it wont get disturbed.

Hi Jambo..I guess all Poly ran out of ..was luck ..and that happens to us all. It reminded me why I have an Aux engine

Lovely video Stig..and I enjoyed watching it..thanks for posting it
Old 15 June 2016, 17:33   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
It reminded me why I have an Aux engine
I have one too, its in the shed, in bits because it is way less reliable than the main one ever is ! (that was its first hiccup in 10 yrs, and was easily fixed with a spanner and some know how).
Old 15 June 2016, 18:27   #44

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Cracking vid stigo cheers
Old 15 June 2016, 21:01   #45

Town: West lothian
Boat name: Obsession
Make: Aerotec
Engine: Mariner 15
Just like to thank everyone for a memorable adventure and for making it happen. you guys made a father and son very happy and hope this is the first trip of many more to come. My son is now saving and researching for a boat of his own.
We have loved all the stories and pics, very addictive!
Old 15 June 2016, 21:15   #46
RIBnet admin team

Obsession, welcome aboard. I like Obsession Jr's thinking.
Old 15 June 2016, 21:26   #47

Thanks Poly, I started at a young age too, trouble is, that he has good taste and wants an increase in pocket money!
Old 15 June 2016, 21:30   #48
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
trouble is, that he has good taste
well you wouldn't want him having something inferior!

Quote:
and wants an increase in pocket money!
I think he deserves it for his excellent performance, and doing you proud at the weekend!
Old 15 June 2016, 21:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
well you wouldn't want him having something inferior!
Yes very true..... All these toys ... I'm going to be broke!
I think he deserves it for his excellent performance, and doing you proud at the weekend!
Yes a very proud dad.
Old 16 June 2016, 05:18   #50

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Welcome to the Forum Obsession and great to meet you.

My six year old boy is rather put out, "but i thought it was only adults, I wanted to come!"... He's now making plans for next year!

As for pocket money...
Old 16 June 2016, 05:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post

Mods don't you think Gurnards repair should be split to anther thread as it is useful stuf which not all will read here!
Hi Nick ...good idea . Poly can you tidy the story up so the repair references are deleted..its not really part of the Outing. I will start a new thread with a step to step on how Im doing the repair..plus a little modification to the floor board that caused the wear and tear leak. It will be a few days as I want the boat completely dry..forecast the next couple of days is showers.

Obsession..welcome to the forum and it was great to meet you both. I had a great introduction and training in a lifetime love of the sea and all outdoor activities .. simply because my father always took me with him too
Old 16 June 2016, 06:23   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Welcome to the Forum Obsession and great to meet you.

My six year old boy is rather put out, "but i thought it was only adults, I wanted to come!"... He's now making plans for next year!

As for pocket money...
Hi Stig, likewise great to meet you to.

Would be great to see more kids getting involved, but saying that my other son 9yrs would have been frightened in the rough conditions!
Loved your video, lots of memories.
Old 16 June 2016, 06:37   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Nick ...good idea . Poly can you tidy the story up so the repair references are deleted..its not really part of the Outing. I will start a new thread with a step to step on how Im doing the repair..plus a little modification to the floor board that caused the wear and tear leak. It will be a few days as I want the boat completely dry..forecast the next couple of days is showers.

Obsession..welcome to the forum and it was great to meet you both. I had a great introduction and training in a lifetime love of the sea and all outdoor activities .. simply because my father always took me with him too
Hi Gurnard, a pleasure to meet you to, loving the great quality pics and you have a ways with words! I wouldn't trust myself with an expensive camera on board. I took a few pics on my phone but poor quality.
He taught you well, you look at home on the water
Old 16 June 2016, 07:43   #54

Obsession it seems the SIB outing was the best possible welcome to the forum so any words from me are a bit tame in comparison... but welcome anyway from another Aerotec owner.

>>>Hi Fenlander .. As a contractor.. I sometimes had to do work in Hunterston A

Gurnard yet another strange crossing of (family) paths the forum throws up from time to time.

Re getting sons out on the water. Like Gurnard I'm grateful to my dad giving me the boating bug from 4yrs old starting gently on the Norfolk broads and quickly moving onto the sea. I hope I was never a liability to him being out with otherwise all adult company. I remember with me age 7 we'd returned from a trip to the channel islands on another's boat with various crew and I went ashore in the dinghy with some of the lads when we reached harbour for them to buy a News of the World splashed with details of the Profumo affair and pictures of that infamous chair pose. It caused me to enquire as to what a call girl was only to receive a confusing and unsatisfactory answer... so I didn't pursue why they kept nodding towards the photo of Christine Keeler saying "I would".

I was more interested in being allowed to start the Seagull and pilot us back to the boat.
Old 16 June 2016, 08:05   #55

I understand your thoughts on being young and in adult company Fenlander

But now I laugh as I realise my own two daughters are far more worldly than myself in many respects.. they tell me what such words like "weiming" means..and many more obscure words ?

Im still surprised how many times the "F" word is used on television.. Mary Whitehouse would have a very red face listening to it now.

Kids grow up far faster nowadays.. and we old yins can learn from them too

The best wave jumper of the lot on this adventure was the floored with keel..Jaga..3.2m which proves to me ..its the skill of the skipper that makes the boat..not the brand.

Old 16 June 2016, 08:11   #56

Difficult to make comparisons without swapping engines between outfits but how did that Tohatsu 18 seem? I did make some enquiries as to buying a crafty new one rather than the Suzuki 20 but if nothing else the high imported price put me off.
Old 16 June 2016, 08:21   #57

I can only make observations Fenlander.. but that wee boat went like a BAT out of hell

I thought it as fast as Stig in his Honwave unless it was really rough..but as mentioned..I suspect that was boat length rather than engine or hull shape.

A lot faster that the aerotecs..but they may not have been going full throttle...when Stig and the other Guy was

The guy enjoyed pulling wheelies etc ..so loads of power low down. It seemed quite quiet too..but I may be wrong thinking that..as I get deafened with my own 25HP two stroke.

I couldn't believe how quiet Stigs 20HP four stroke was.. at times I had to ask if it was running..when he started it on tick over.

I love my wee 6HP 4 stroke because of its low noise..It tires me listening to my 25HP on long journeys..so I think you made a good choice ..if you can manage the weight.

I had a wee haul of the Jaga on the beach too.. and it was very light to move..which was not a surprise.

Thats about all I can tell..perhaps the owner will comment ?
Old 16 June 2016, 10:57   #58

Town: dornoch
sunsport

hi guys , i was running most off the time at between half and two thirds throttle and ran most off the way back at half throttle and only used half as much fuel on the return leg .in the real snotty stuff i felt i should have put more power on but we are much safer sticking together as our joint experience is more likely to keep us or get us out of trouble. again many thanks to all,excellent trip and all home safe.! http://www.rib.net/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Old 16 June 2016, 11:19   #59
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport View Post
hi guys , i was running most off the time at between half and two thirds throttle and ran most off the way back at half throttle and only used half as much fuel on the return leg .in the real snotty stuff i felt i should have put more power on but we are much safer sticking together as our joint experience is more likely to keep us or get us out of trouble. again many thanks to all,excellent trip and all home safe.! http://www.rib.net/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Sunsport - I was sitting much closer to full throttle most of the time, same engine pushing heavier boat, with double the load and crew; and as a result I used a lot more fuel. I've not checked how much I actually burned, but I'm guessing its probably closer to double what you did!
Old 16 June 2016, 13:35   #60

Town: dornoch
sunsport

hi poly going the same distance on half the fuel sounds good, I must be a true scot tight as a ducks xxxx.
fenlander re tohatsu cracking engine but in this case had to big a pitch prop on for the conditions .would fly in the flat but could have done with better out of the hole, in these conditions.but the helmsmans grit more than made up for it. cheers