Old 14 June 2016, 10:21   #21

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks for the tear aid info Jeff..I have not heard of that before and will look into it if I cant get the patch off. i only had a quick look this afternoon and then the rain started..so I abandoned the task.

Im in no rush for the Gurnard ..the Guppy will be used again very soon..its taking up more and more of my boating time..due to ease of launching and great cheapness for fuel costs

Old 14 June 2016, 11:57   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Then came the second Aerotec of the day powered by a 15HP engine..and Skippered by Father and son team Sunsport.
Whilst not important to the story, "sunsport" is actually helming the other Aerotech, and this is "sunsport's friend" together with "sunsport's friend son". Mooncat was my newly acquired crew.
Old 14 June 2016, 12:22   #23

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I think the unbranded SIB was a Jago 3.2m ali floor SIB.
Old 14 June 2016, 15:24   #24

Town: dornoch
sunsport

many thanks for a great weekend guys, my aerotec with the 20 yam two stroke is run with a 35mm block to raise it to keep the boat dry, i also use a 30hp on it and put a 50mm block the transom on for pulling skiers out ,i put the trim out a notch to lift the nose a bit to compensate for the camping kit weight.interesting to see all the boats side by side to compare them .some were great load carriers some were more portable than others. the aerotec being a lightweight boat is going to spend a fair amount off time airborne, did find putting more speed on helped to soften the ride but upped the risk off being thrown about and that doesnt help my back. got to say the helmsman off the 3.2m boat done a grand job off making such a short boat keep up with bigger and heavier boats in these conditions. just out off interest how much fuel did the other engines use ,i used 26lts. cheers
Old 14 June 2016, 15:32   #25

Town: dornoch
sunsport

many thanks for a great weekend guys, my aerotec with the 20 yam two stroke is run with a 35mm block to raise it to keep the boat dry, i also use a 30hp on it and put a 50mm block the transom on for pulling skiers out ,i put the trim out a notch to lift the nose a bit to compensate for the camping kit weight.interesting to see all the boats side by side to compare them .some were great load carriers some were more portable than others. the aerotec being a lightweight boat is going to spend a fair amount off time airborne, did find putting more speed on helped to soften the ride but upped the risk off being thrown about and that doesnt help my back. got to say the helmsman off the 3.2m boat done a grand job off making such a short boat keep up with bigger and heavier boats in these conditions. just out off interest how much fuel did the other engines use ,i used 26lts. cheers
Old 14 June 2016, 15:36   #26
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport View Post
....did find putting more speed on helped to soften the ride but upped the risk off being thrown about and that doesnt help my back.
Yes. It feels counterintuitive at times but in a chop it can sometimes be the case that faster is softer*. It's just that the odd big wave can then really mess you up. Vigilance is called for.

* It's one of Tom's Rules: "If it was bumpy then you weren't going fast enough!"
Old 14 June 2016, 16:57   #27

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Poly..thanks for sorting the Avatar names for me .. I do remember asking everyone while sitting round the campfire .. but then I had another tin of gravy ..and got muddled ..then another tin and a wee nip ..and then forgot completely

Stig thanks for the account of the airfoor on the Honwave .. Im sure it will help folks decide “Which SIB” is best for them.. and it is coming from first hand experience and not Chinese Whispers rumour. You are also correct..the smallest SIB of the weekend was an Ali Floor ..I checked a photo I have which clearly shows an aluminium runner

Hi Sunsport.. (got your avatar name right that time ) glad you enjoyed it.. I enjoyed the banter round the campfire as well as the soaking to get there ... hope we can all meet again next year. Thanks for clearing up the water over transom issue .. it should help clarify to any doubting folks that it is not an issue with a packing piece.

Hi Willk..Im sorry you didn’t manage this year..but perhaps we will meet again next year

As predicted..once we were out the shelter of the Kyles of Bute.. the sea was still choppy. I don’t take photos in the very rough water as my camera is a DSLR and not waterproof. Its also hopless trying to hold the camera steady.. not to mention dangerous driving.

Perhaps that alone is testament as to how stable the Quicksilver 4.3 meter boat is in a chop.. I have to keep on the plane to keep up with you guys.. both hands on the camera to operate it ..and watch for unexpected waves myself. I do have the kill cord attached to the OB in case of an accident.

Here are some quieter moments going round Ardlamont Point ..

and then we were in the shelter of Loch Fyne.. heading for our campsite..

We were looking forward to landing.. getting a fire going .. and clearing salty throats with a few waves of liquid gravy

to be continued ...
Old 14 June 2016, 19:53   #28

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport View Post
just out off interest how much fuel did the other engines use ,i used 26lts. cheers

Mine is a 20hp Honda 4 stroke and used about 17-18 litres all-in for the 60-odd miles we covered. I have lots of spare fuel now having over-packed for our trip (2 full cans left plus 1/4 tank), at least the lawn mower will be well stocked!
Old 15 June 2016, 03:41   #29

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>Fenlander, I must admit I had a few chuckles on the water directed mostly at you... I had your words of advice and praise for the Honwave ringing through my ears, "...and it provides an exceptionally dry ride..." as I spat out yet another mouthful of sea water and clenched my eyes to prevent the stinging of yet more facefulls of the North Channel>>>

But the boat didn't actually fill with water? Then that's a dry ride for a SIB!

I have a bit of a helming challenge when it gets bumpy as Mrs Fenlander and daughter wear jeans and trainers just with a waterproof jacket... and they hope to stay dry... as does the dog!

Great pics in post #27 Gurnard. In the second one down Stig and another looking to test the Collregs rules? ... or perhaps it's telephoto foreshortening. Then a nice one below it of Poly and his ever present security guy. And the one below that looks to be someone about to be enveloped in spray to a degree which would definitely have Mrs Fenlander turning back to me with a stern look!
Old 15 June 2016, 04:56   #30

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
* It's one of Tom's Rules: "If it was bumpy then you weren't going fast enough!"
Also it explains his mantra " Drive it like you stole it"

I screwed up and missed the opportunity to say hello when you all called into Portavadie for a pit stop - well done to all - it certainly looked grim in Loch Fyne from the comfort of the infinity pool