Old 28 July 2010, 09:20   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
The run out to Burhou and the Casquets Lighthouse - Mollers' Etec spits the dummy then come the overfalls.
Those overfalls were impressive. Jim came piling in with a fistfull of gas on, from behind, I saw 'Jigsaw' go vertical. Luckily, he hung about for a few seconds to get his sh*t back together, which kept him nearby when my Etec "spat it's dummy" in the middle of the overfalls. The Icommands did a quick re-boot and all was well again.
Old 28 July 2010, 10:21   #23

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
my Etec "spat it's dummy" in the middle of the overfalls.
What caused that then?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 10:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
What caused that then?
It died laughing at Jim's airbourne antics.

Seriously, don't worry. A very heavy landing activated a safety cut-out sensor. Ignition off for a few seconds, back on, the Icommands scrolled through a re-boot and all was well. I had zero concern about the 60Nm lumpy trip home the next day.

If it should happen again, I'll be calling on the 5 year warranty which has 3 years remaining.
Old 28 July 2010, 12:12   #25

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
How about this one then, Martini in the air and Hey Joe (?) under your bow . Bit grainy but you get the idea.
Wife and I sat on the suicide seat for the whole trip nice and comfy wife did scream a few times but we stayed dry throughout.
Great to see the Puffins alway's thought they were bigger.

Round the back of the Island at one point we were doing about 12 knots through the water and 3.5 over the ground awsome tidal flow.

The swinge was nice and playful for us but would be interesting to see when it gets angry, what it needs is a jet rib. Next year I may borrow Pauls ski and see how we can play in it.

One of the highlights for me was the lighthouse and seeing how they landed on it and the engineering involved to build the thing.

If any of you get a chance to visit Alderney make sure you touch base with Martin and Erin and Matt as they will give you a right Royal time
Ta Tim
Old 28 July 2010, 14:15   #26

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
I have put a gallery of all the pics taken on Fri and Sat, you can upload more if you have 'em.

www.alderneymarine.com/floptilla
Old 28 July 2010, 18:27   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
For Roy Bishop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Vipermax Owners Club
Indeed

We have a fair few more pics and will get them all up along with a brief write up tonight

Old 28 July 2010, 22:12   #28
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Day 1

DAY 1 – Wednesday 22nd July

Last Wednesday, myself and Gotchidad slipped the lines from Dinard with a plan to head up to Jersey stopping for a sandwich lunch halfway. I went out early-ish to collect the boat from its moorings and then brought it round to the pontoon at the main harbour where we loaded all our gear for the week-long trip we were planning for. On went the SIB too, a necessity for getting to land on Sark where we planned to camp the following week. Along with the luggage came a nice French bloke who had accosted my dad as he was sorting out the stuff at the top of the slipway who worked at a bar on an island (Cézembre) a few miles off the coast but for various reasons had no transport to it that day, having visited the island many times before – in the 2.6m SIB no less ) and with the prospect of a drink when we next popped round, we gave him permission to board and off we went, slipping the lines at around midday.

Having dropped said Frenchman off on his island having got there in less than 5 minutes or so due to me indulging his oohs and ahhs at the power and speed we set course for the Minquiers and relaxed. The calm conditions allowed a cruising speed of around 40knts to be maintained with imperious ease, and we quickly began to reel Jersey in. We cut the engine and allowed ourselves to drift freely as we passed the south east Minquiers cardinal, and had lunch as the boat rocked in the rolling swell. We pressed on again at around 40knts, but as we approached Jersey we got caught up a in a localised storm, which luckily we were able to skirt around for the most part. As we picked up the channel markers for entrance to St. Helier, the conditions continued to worsen, and speed was reduced to 25knts or so due to the waves. I would point out that on this leg it was I that was driving, had Gotchidad been, I reckon these speeds would have been reduced by at least 25% if not more, due to the general carefulness of an elderly gentleman such as himself As we rounded the outer wall of the port, a lone Redbay 11m cabin was heading out, (the orange now renamed but ex Correyveckyran (Sp?) boat) . Due to our planned departure time the following morning coinciding with the low water time in Jersey, we did not go into the marina, but instead remained on the holding pontoon just outside its limits, as advised to do my Matt. After finding the hotel, we returned to St. Helier and enjoyed a delicious pizza at the very early (for us ) time of 6:30. Ribbing really does take it out of you!!

More to follow tomorrow (+pics obviously)

P.S. yes sorry I cant get the pics small like everyone elses, the attachments just dont seem to post properly for me, I hope I can get it sorted soon though, it does seem a little funny that my photos are so much bigger than everyone else's!
Old 28 July 2010, 22:23   #29

Blimey Oliver!! I need a bigger screen!
Old 29 July 2010, 11:14   #30
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Blimey Oliver!! I need a bigger screen!
Sorted now I think...

DAY 2 – Friday 23rd
After having spent the first day of our trip alone, day 2 promised a nice ride in company with Matt, Martin and Jack on Martini II. Acting on a very early wake up call, Gotchidad and I, strolled gently down to the harbour stopping for a bit of breakfast (and to use the wifi connection ) along the way. We arrived at the holding pontoon feeling somewhat apprehensive as the sight which greeted us was of yachts four deep all the way along the length of the pontoon. Fearing that we may have three or more yachts rafted up to our side, we feared that we may have to fight to break free from the melee. As we began to near the spot at which we had left Into the R ed, the forest of masts appeared to have left a little clearing, amongst so many rafted up boats, our little boat had its own little space on the pontoon, with no others to wade through for escape!
Having set about preparing the boat and getting it in a fit state for our crossing up to Alderney, we slipped the lines at about ten past eight and nosed out of the harbour entrance with a view to joining up with Matt in La Colette marina just outside of the main harbour entrance. However an about turn was necessary for as we approached La Colette, the fearsome sight of Martini II greeted us, Optis rasping ferociously in the background and the water ahead of her bows promptly dissipating in anticipation of the pain that would be wrought upon it should the entire weight of an Arctic 28 fully fuelled at over 4tons come crashing down upon it . Together the two boats meandered back through the main harbour entrance and pulled up on the holding pontoon wherefrom we had just departed – the reason for this abrupt turn, for by now our original departure time of 8.30 was in tatters, was the requirement of some sustenance for the crew and helm of Martini II after a quick shimmy up the ladder to the Albert Quay, and the prompt dispatching of some bacon butties, then after having watched Matt and Martin don wet weather gear, we too Gecko’d up for the course before once again nosing out of the harbour entrance. With Matt leading the way we powered up to around 30knts, Matt just setting a course and letting his gargantuan boat blat through whatever waves could ever be so rude as to plant themselves in front of the boat.
As time wore on a speed of around 23/4knts was established, not because of the conditions, more as an attempt at preserving Matt’s wallet Gotchidad then took over the helming, for the first time in his life actually increasing our speed to 30knts, since the ride in our boat at that speed is far superior to what it is at 23, banging around as it does and falling into each and every trough. Matt however was having none of it and Gotchidad gave up after a few loops round to come out behind Martini before reeling him in and dispatching him again and so throttled back to 23 and braved it out for the rest. The difference in ride quality between 23 and 30 is however startling though; having only really cruised by ourselves and therefore setting our own pace we had never been forced to stay at a slower speed and so it was very intriguing for us to experience a different aspect of our boat. As we approached Alderney, the seas flattened out further and Matt could not resist the temptation to open up the taps a little and we cruised together at 30 catching a glimpse of Alderney before rounding the north east corner of the island and cruising into Braye Harbour, greeted by the familiar sight of the Admiralty Breakwater stretching out a welcoming hand to greet us. Having made the trip from Cherbourg over to Alderney in a 4m Zodiac a few years previously and having visited the isle by air many times, the familiar scenery greeted us punctuated by the throb of Martini’s optis We moored up on a buoy close into the breakwater slip and Keith pottered out to meet us in his SIB before taking us into the pontoon. Clambering up the gangway we were greeted with the sight of the Yacht club terrace, Keith’s parents having opened the bar specially.
As the day trickled by gradually more and more boats and then people arrived, the two hard boats and then Trevor with Blue Ray accompanied by a weary Paul having made the trip by jetski for the second successive year! Mollers and Jim then arrived having departed from a different place to the others, along with two weary ribbers wives After an hour or two on the terrace we agreed to disperse and then meet again later at the chippy at 8, ready to sample the delights brought home by the fisherman of Alderney. Jack with his mushy peas and then the antics of the “Chip Cat” provided entertainment throughout the meal, before a decamp to the Divers to finish off the evening.
Having discussed the differences between kompressors, compressors and superchargers with Keith and Paul, Gotchidad and I decided to retire for the night...only to be caught by Mollers and Jim for a couple more to aid the digestion of discussing the chequered history of Vector Marine, the Cosworth engined XR24, and how Ospreys had risen from the ashes! A fair while later and having learnt a great deal about the boat and company history we returned to the hotel picking our way along the railway tracks which we discovered could be employed as a shortcut. After having to undertake multiple actions to prevent the snoring of Gotchidad in order that I may get to sleep, I did eventually, with the knowledge that a great day of touring the island lay ahead... (oh, and that Gotchimum had decided to come over )

Sorry its a little verbose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	php1GbNXHAM.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	53109   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpf9VyuzAM.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	53110   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpwRCBTuAM.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	53111   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpek6b5MAM.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	53112   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpePMwIZAM.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	53113  

Old 29 July 2010, 11:43   #31

I wouldn't take any of that Osprey 'info' as gospel, as I'd been on the 'lash' for a few hours by then. I was doing a fine job of confusing myself.

I've been invited out on the Vector Nutter Cosworth one eve this week.
Old 29 July 2010, 13:30   #32

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
As time wore on a speed of around 23/4knts was established, not because of the conditions, more as an attempt at preserving Matt’s wallet
Possibly also due to the temporary speed restriction device fitted to Matt's boat that day, AKA Jack (Malthouse Jnr).
Old 29 July 2010, 14:33   #33

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Possibly also due to the temporary speed restriction device fitted to Matt's boat that day, AKA Jack (Malthouse Jnr).
The Arctics actually struggling to plane at 23 knots, the extra lift you get at 28 knots and above probably improves the mpg if anything.
Fair play to the little fella, he wasn't too keen at first behind the console where he couldnt see but fine in the suicide seat and he put in some serious mileage that weekend for an 8 year old. Next generation of ribster in the making!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
the fearsome sight of Martini II
Like it!
Old 30 July 2010, 21:37   #34
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
DAY 3 – Saturday 24th
After enjoying a rather eventful breakfast at our hotel(the violent orangejuicethirsty stabbing of a carton of orange juice at Mollers’ and Jim’s table being the highlight) everyone made it down to the yacht club at the agreed time, our motley crew of Ribbers and ribbers wives returning from various hostelries and campsites on the island, along with the few who spent the night in highest luxury on their Sunseekers Without having a definitive plan already prescribed, we all began to discuss possibilities for the day, the options of going round the island in the boats and then taking a train ride and visiting the bunkers in the afternoon eventually coming through as the strongest candidates. Within minutes (ahem, sorry hours ) we all jumped to our stations and made our way out to our craft, Martin got out DizzyIzzy and ferried us all out to our boats. Once ready I pottered over to the Yacht Club pontoon where Paul and Gotchidad where waiting to be picked up, making a bit of a dogs breakfast of the approach, skilful reversing saved the day, and soon they were both safely on board.
As we began to motor towards the breakwater, we found Keith and Martin in their ribs and we motored alongside for a chat and bit of a photo shoot. Gradually all the ribs bar Martini II were itching for the off, Matt having to hold back to pick up Tim and the others who had decided to hitch a lift instead of challenging the swinge or the race in 40ft Princess =D Once Martini II was fully loaded, we headed out in convoy, the dark and ominous clouds being betrayed in their sinisterocity by calm seas and a weak swinge. As we rounded the breakwater running alongside Mollers and Jim, the mirror like conditions where perfect photo opportunities and many shots were taken of our respective Ospreys. We pressed on, all the boats maintaining an easy 35-40knts, Martin and Keith in the lead as the navigating boats. As we approached the swinge, the clear delineating line between the flat calm of everywhere else and then the sudden overfalls and white horses was stark. By this time we were running alongside Martin in his Ocean 5m, probably running within 20ft or so and it was very interesting to watch how each spray rail and each feature in the design of the hull worked to do their respective jobs. Obviously I have no real idea about hull design (like most other things ) but the little boat seemed to cope admirably with the conditions. A very interesting insight into how our hulls work, something that we all take for granted.
With Matt now having taken the lead, we pressed on out towards Burhou to see the Puffins...only to find a distinct lack of them when we arrived, possibly the sight of 6 high powered ribs mostly boasting throbbing two strokes scared them off Undeterred however, we pressed onto Casquets lighthouse, Matt taking the Arctic right round the back to show Tim and the others the incredible feats of engineering required to build a lighthouse in such a treacherous area and on a tiny little outcrop of rock. The five other “sensible” ribbers amongst us remain just off the rock, the four Ospreys forming a tight gaggle or flock or pod or whatever the name for a pack of Ospreys is =D in order for photo opportunity (as shown above ) and organised the night before, to be sold to Roy Bishop =D Once the photos where all taken, we headed on towards garden rock, running at 40knts+ to catch up with Martin who had skipped the run out to Casquets in order to remain at the prescribed 16knts as required by Jack! Keith led us right up to the rock, home to a large gannet colony which has led to its repainted in bright white... unfortunately this change of paint scheme has also resulted in a rather powerful pong radiating from the rock!
Up until this point, Martin had been the one chiefly giving the directions over the radio pointing things out and telling people when they were too far from the lines required to clear the rocks; however as we picked up speed exiting the little channel past the gannet colony, Keith took over the airwaves and gave us all a great insight into the different sights around this part of the island. Atop the hill to the left sat a large mansion, long believed to be used for money laundering and possibly pirating activities, we learnt from Keith. Continuing on, we passed the rotting corpse of some German landing stages other German fortifications and buildings. Pressing on, we passed the scars left from the time when the islands rubbish was simply dumped into the sea, other large houses and interesting rocky outcrops amongst other sights continued to pass by, until we came upon the race. The race of Alderney is formed by the channelling of fast moving water by a combination of surface rock as well as, and probably mostly by, underwater ones. By this stage we were running up front with Blue Ray and DizzyIzzy, a little way ahead of Jigsaw and then a fair way behind him, Martini II, Hey Joe and La Frette bringing up the rear. As we, the forward group, went through the race, we noticed little bar the sudden advent of slight white horses and a little roughening of the sea, highlighted mainly due to the flat calm conditions that we had experienced for the trip so far, bar the swinge naturally. However, once through the main patch of rough water, ourselves and Blue Ray came to a halt in order to wait for the others to join us. Whilst stopped, the weirdest sensation occurred to us, stationary in the water as we were, the world began to move whilst both boats maintained their positions relative to each other. It took a good few seconds for the crew of each vessel to realise how powerful the currents were and that we were being dragged sideways at over 10knts by the currents! Realising what was happening and seeing that if we did not move we would be most likely dashed on the rocks which surround the race, we tried to motor off to continue the tour, for by now the others had caught up, but it took (well for us at least) over half power to make headway back towards where we had started from, our speed through the water was most likely over 20knts, but the ground speed was startlingly slow. We did however manage to get out of our predicament, and with the others having pressed on further, we floored the throttle to catch up, blasting up past Martin, Matt and Mollers, until we were running alongside Jim in Jigsaw. History put aside, we both throttled up to maximum power, Gotchidad, not known for his maximum speed runs, pressed on; by his side I continued to play with the trim in order to achieve maximum speed, 50m behind, Jigsaw too was powering on, catching us gradually, our 70hp advantage apparently outweighed by our extras length and weight. I continued to trim out, until, with a violent leap, something unheard of so far that day thanks to the mirror like conditions, we lurched into the air causing the prop to cavitate and us to loose all speed By this stage however Jigsaw had stopped gaining, I think we just managed to hold him off though! Having broken off from the others due to having to give maximum concentration to the boat in order to extract every possible knot, we turned back since by now we had actually overshot the harbour! After motoring back together, picked up our buoy, and took a lift on the water taxi back to the pontoon. Lunch for most was agreed to be staged at “The Moorings” but we had to go to the airport to pick up Gotchimum and therefore did not manage to join the rest.
Thanks to a very kind lift from Keith, we arrived back at the harbour and joined the others for coffee before Jim and Mollers (worried by the poor forecast for the following day) headed off, accompanied by wives, to refuel their Ospreys. Not an easy task when obtaining petrol means borrowing fuel cans from the chandlery and walking up to the petrol station to fill them The rest of us minus the hardboaters (who had also decided to take the initiative and fill up) embarked upon the only railway on the Channel Islands. Our “slim” group of ten or so rode the London Underground carriages over to the quarry, wondering how much fantastic the railway could be if the line along the breakwater could somehow be pressed back into service. Trundling along through fields, people’s back gardens, over level crossings and even the school, we eventually arrived at the other end of the island.
A most exciting tour of the delights of theotherendoftheisland ensued, the lighthouse and the story about its foghorns, a tour round one of the German fortifications erected as a lookout post to watch for any allied invasion, now pressed into service as a telecoms tower and other sights. Following on from this we enjoyed a “refreshing beverage” –LOL- at the Old Barn Inn, opposite the golf course, from where we made our way in a leisurely fashion back towards the Yacht club. By now, time had marched on and we fully expected the arranged barbeque to be in full swing. Having met “Krysee” the day before, we knew what to expect, in a traditional American manner, everything was running a little late, but even more predictably, everything was over the top. As we took our seats, plenty of black bean dip was passed around, copious nachos and other nibbles before our orders were taken in a fantastically charismatic manner. To collect our steak burgers involved a trip to the kitchen, an experience not to be missed not only for the view of Krysee in a hectic fashion trying to organise everything at once, but for the table that sat outside. This table of accoutrements was incredibly varied, peach flavoured salad dressing made using milk from her own farm, raspberry vinaigrette and other unusually flavour sauces abound. Following the steak burger came the chocolate pudding “chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate” was the motto Krysee told us that she had used in its making, and indeed it was delicious..full of... chocolate... Having once again retired to the Divers with Martin, Matt, Jim and Mollers, we continued to discuss varied topics regarding boats for another couple of hours, before heading back to the hotel, the prospect of a run over to France for lunch the following day being foremost in our reasoning for an early night.

Again, sorry its a bit verbose

Here is an album of all the pictures, a more complete selection than Martins I think. Taken from Trevor, Keith, Paul and of course ourselves http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/a...20July%202010/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpvP9zT8PM.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	53147   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpz7b5kvPM.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	53148   Click image for larger version

Name:	php5RdaCCPM.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	53149   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpeSdliOPM.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	53150   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpuA8sciPM.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	53151  

Old 31 July 2010, 07:49   #35

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Let me guess English Lit for A level?

You should send these to rib magazine. Your florid style is just what they are after

(dont expect them to print any Osprey Pics though ).

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 08:29   #36
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You should send these to rib magazine. Your florid style is just what they are after

The thought had already crossed my mind although it would probably have to be cut down a fair bit.

I do agree on the Osprey bit though, both SB&B and Boat Mart have featured our boat in their review pages, but not yet the actual rib magazine
Old 31 July 2010, 11:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I was only thinking the other day that I don't recall ever seeing an Osprey in the mag, have they got a bee in their bonnet about this particular brand for some reason?

Some nice photos from the trip too

Martini doesn't look like a big boat till you see it next to a 7m Vipermax

Old 31 July 2010, 11:58   #38

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I was only thinking the other day that I don't recall ever seeing an Osprey in the mag, have they got a bee in their bonnet about this particular brand for some reason?
Do they advertise with RIB International/Magazine....
Old 31 July 2010, 12:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Do they advertise with RIB International/Magazine....
Ah ok ...point taken

Old 31 July 2010, 12:57   #40
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
What about Halmatic? They arn't buddies with the mag either, but I'd have thought they'd be too scared to not print a photo of Martini II

Or even Shearwater