Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Not long now!!

DAY6 - Tuesday 27th
As we woke early on Tuesday morning, a high pitched noise was perpetually ringing in our eyars. The tent seemed consumed with this ringing noise that prevented either of us from returning to sleep. Poking our heads out the window, the origin of the noise was obvious; overnight thick fog had once again rolled in, and the island was consumed with billowing clouds of white. With the tractor leaving at 9:30, all hands were on deck at 8:24 when the bags began to be packed and the tents came down. Depositing our bags at the collection point, we set off into town. As we passed through, a quick stop at the bank revealed a branch of Natwest that could be anywhere in the UK; a huge glass screen the same paint scheme etc. A slightly pointless waste of money I would have thought A quick trudge down the hill to the harbour cafe ensued, and once breakfasted, the intrepid Trevor sallied forth in the dinghy to go and fetch Blue Ray and put transport all our stuff back to our boat and stow theirs in the cabin. I hopped in with the three Goddards, and we made our way back round to La Grève de la Ville where I stowed our stuff on Into the Red and rowed ashore: the Goddards having been returned custody of their air-cooled museum piece!
After scaling the hill back up to the flat, myself and Gotchidad hired two bikes and rode the way over to Little Sark, across the famous causeway laid by the German POWs, where we lunched in a very nice restaurant whose garden was invested with chickens! They were running around all over the place, it was a wonder that the waiters never tripped over them An return ride was had, the constant complaints from Gotchidad throughout that his gears didn’t work led rise to swapping bikes and me finding that his gears worked pretty much flawlessly – along with the fact that he had a significantly better padded seat . We left Sark as soon as we got back to the boat and, having gone round from the North the day before, continued our circumnavigation and went round from the south, encountering many interesting rock formations which led rise to odd currents and water patterns. After the rapid crossing to Guernsey, we had to wait about two hours to be let into the marina, but once in, we were given a superb position right up on the farthest pontoon, right next to the gangplank, and 15m or so from the main road, so that when we met our friend, we stood and showed him the boat from the main road After an enjoyable dinner at The Auberge, a haunt of ours for many years; we returned to our b&b and enjoyed a markedly more civilised night than the one before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	php03fNtPAM.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	53204   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpQxHElWAM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	53205   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpEshiG4AM.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	53206   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpyPSnOdAM.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	53207   Click image for larger version

Name:	phphyiWuGAM.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	53208  

Old 02 August 2010, 07:05   #52
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
RIBase
DAY 7 Wednesday 28th
Having breakfasted, and with the incentive of trying not to get stuck in the marina where we too slow, we made our way over to the boat, and exited the marina. A quick stop off at the Boatworks chandlery by the fuel pontoon wasted some time, and gave us a few bits and bobs that we’d like to add to the boat, before we set course for Jersey. An easy crossing was had for the first 15 miles or so, cruising at around 40knts, before a rough patch off the tip of Jersey forced us to slow down to 25, and this continued till we were nestled right in St. Helier bay.
Needing oil –quite desperately to be honest - we stopped in La Colette and got some from the nice man at GT marine. By lucky coincidence (I smell a setup ) Gotchidad caught sight of Keith driving past, and even though we had already arranged to meet for lunch, we firmed our plans, and motored back round to the holding pontoon were they ferried us over to St. Aubins following the old railway line to the Old Courthouse Inn where we had a very nice (if a little chilly and wasp infested ) meal. After running us back to the boat, we waved goodbye to Keith and Sabrina for the final time, and set off for home. Despite experiencing the roughest conditions encountered all trip, I followed the “faster will be better” terminology, and despite the force ¾ conditions, powered on at 35knts, completing the crossing in 1hr7mins, the fastest we have ever done it, averaging out at just over 30knts, a very respectable achievement I feel in those conditions (also for my patience in ignoring the pleass for mercy from my navigator )
All in all we had a spent a very nice week with one and all, met new people, and made rough plans for next year. IN the coming weeks, we hope Keith and Sabrina will make the trip down, maybe Matt would join them too? Looking to next year, Blue Ray and her crew look set for a tour of the northern Brittany coast, and for us, a run up to the Scillies should be on the cards
Many thanks to any of you that bothered to wade through the garbage I’ve written above, and finally, long overdue, a big thank you to everyone who organised the trip and all those who braved it to make the crossing!
Oliver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpcTozutAM.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	53209   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpOsBK72AM.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	53210   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpqpC8bLAM.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	53211   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpWuIIohAM.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	53212   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpwq3z8gAM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	53213  

Old 02 August 2010, 07:12   #53

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
In the coming weeks, we hope Keith and Sabrina will make the trip down, maybe Matt would join them too?
Me too!

Have you started the thread yet??
Old 02 August 2010, 07:38   #54
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Me too!

Have you started the thread yet??
Well your very welcome to if you do decide to, we're here throughout august pretty much expect the bank holiday

I'm sure Keith, Matt or yourself would be better at organising it than us, so I won't start a thread unless no one says anything and the end of the summer begins to close in We can of course advise on campsites/hotels if it turns into a bigger thing though, or if just one of you comes down then you can possibly raft up to us.

I'm sure you could find visitor moorings here in Dinard or if not, across the way in St. Malo, so we look forward to you all visiting in the future
Old 18 February 2011, 05:42   #55
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
I know it's dredging up an old thread but I don't think it merits its own new thread so here is a little video we took of Martini II on the approach to Alderney for Floptilla 2010 July last year.

[YOUTUBE]SZQb9wCP7AA[/YOUTUBE]
Old 18 February 2011, 05:48   #56

Cool

I just linked to that from Facebook
Old 18 February 2011, 05:49   #57

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688

Look forward to your camera mount
Old 18 February 2011, 05:52   #58
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
I just linked to that from Facebook
Facebook floptilla page
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Look forward to your camera mount
I agree. Haven't sourced one yet but on GD's radar methinks. Along with finally getting an etec diagnostic cable

P.S. Like the annotations?
Old 18 February 2011, 06:35   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Facebook floptilla page
No, mine.

Though ease of use for linking to videos is another reason to start a C.R.F.B.P.
Old 18 February 2011, 06:48   #60
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
C.R.F.B.P.
Surely you mean a G. O. O. O. A. F. B. F. P. (2011)