MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Have I missed day 4?
Day 4 was fairly uneventful
Old 09 May 2011, 10:34   #44

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
It does sound very cool, especially Martini being probed after being spotted on AIS.

What will you do differently next time? Is there a way to break out of the eat-sleep-eat-leave routine and it not take a month?
Old 09 May 2011, 10:40   #45

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Day 4 – Tuesday - Where the fun began.
Day 4 was Rouen to Port D'Ilon I thought?
Old 09 May 2011, 10:54   #46

Quote:
It does sound very cool, especially Martini being probed after being spotted on AIS.
From what I understood, they saw my photo's on Marinetraffic.com and cross-referenced that with a book they use for identifying foreign warships

They weren't interested in searching the boat, just the identity of the vessel and myself.

They asked who the previous owner was...Elizabeth somebody or other

Quote:
What will you do differently next time? Is there a way to break out of the eat-sleep-eat-leave routine and it not take a month?
If you were living aboard this would save you a lot of time, you could wake up, cast off then get yourself sorted. Splitting the river into 3 legs of 120km was easier on the return when we were a bit more organised and travelling slightly faster. It would be difficult to split into more legs of similar length due to decent moorings. There's plenty of stop offs on the river banks but you're exposed to passing boats wash and security could be an issue.
Old 09 May 2011, 12:21   #47

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Day 4 was Rouen to Port D'Ilon I thought?
I got confused. It's all starting to merge into one historic blur. I can't even remember which bar it was where we couldn't get rid of the drunk Frenchman.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2011, 12:24   #48

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Sounds great , but tiring fun . Any word on the problem/engine on Martini ?
Old 09 May 2011, 12:24   #49

Quote:
Two things were against us. Firstly we weren't sure how far we would get each day and therefore didn't want to book too much accomodation in advance. Secondly, Honfluer was closed on the first day and Rouen was closed to traffic on Fri - Sat - Sun. Both of these factors caused us delays and/or changes to our original plans. If these hurdles hadn't been in our way it would have seemed far more relaxed and the intermediate days would have been easier going. The extra night in Paris would have been the real saviour, but it wasn't to be.
Old 09 May 2011, 12:32   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Sounds great , but tiring fun . Any word on the problem/engine on Martini ?
Hasn't even been loked at yet, early this week I've been told

Quote:
I got confused. It's all starting to merge into one historic blur. I can't even remember which bar it was where we couldn't get rid of the drunk Frenchman.
Duclair - I think What a tool he was
Old 09 May 2011, 13:15   #51

Quote:
Two things were against us. Firstly we weren't sure how far we would get each day and therefore didn't want to book too much accomodation in advance. Secondly, Honfluer was closed on the first day and Rouen was closed to traffic on Fri - Sat - Sun. Both of these factors caused us delays and/or changes to our original plans. If these hurdles hadn't been in our way it would have seemed far more relaxed and the intermediate days would have been easier going. The extra night in Paris would have been the real saviour, but it wasn't to be.
So checking with The Authorities before for any possible river/lock closures and a minimum of two days in Paris.

And three days from Honfleur to Paris, two overnight stops, is that right?
Old 09 May 2011, 13:31   #52
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
That's an impressive write up Erin - quite the expedition. I felt strong sympathy for poor Matt having to leave Martini II. It's not a good feeling and I've had it recently myself having left Neptune to her own devices in Jura. At least she was recovered and returned to base in a few days. Hope Martini II is home soon.
Old 09 May 2011, 13:34   #53
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
From what I understood, they saw my photo's on Marinetraffic.com and cross-referenced that with a book they use for identifying foreign warships
....I think you mean my photos....

Seconded what Willkie says however, we really feel for you having to leave her in an unknown place.
Old 09 May 2011, 13:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
....I think you mean my photos....

As pointed out by Martini to The French, as she was once owned by Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, of Great Britain and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith. Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem. Sovereign of the Order of Canada, Sovereign of the Order of Australia, Sovereign of the Order of New Zealand, Sovereign of the Order of Barbados, Sovereign of the Order of Valour, Sovereign of the Order of Military Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces, Sovereign of the Queen's Service Order, Sovereign of the New Zealand Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of St. Andrew, Sovereign of the Order of Logohu, Sovereign of the Order of the Star of Melanesia. The boat is covered by regal copyright and all images or likenesses are owned not by the artist but remain with the sovereign.

Probably.
Old 09 May 2011, 14:24   #55
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:

The boat is covered by regal copyright and all images or likenesses are owned not by the artist but remain with the sovereign.

Probably.
“I, Oliver, swear by Almighty God that being a British citizen, I am Faithful and bear true Allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her heirs and successors according to law.”

“I, Oliver, do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that as a British Citizen I will be Faithful and bear true Allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second her heirs and successors according to law.”

Being a French Citizen aswell, I also declare to shorty-pants that he can bagsy any photos taken by me of any of his ships ( or other vessels).

Having now confirmed myself and my Allegiance to Queen Elizabeth the Second, I fully respect and dutifully sacrifice the copyright to all photos of mine which contain an image or depiction of the vessel in question: Martini II.

Does this mean I need contact the Queen's copyright office in order to continue to host photos of said vessel on my website, and in areas of commercial hosting websites whereby I have stored potentially infringing material?

Interesting though (assuming you are being serious), that something that once belonged to the Queen will forever be surrounded by special copyright rules...?
Old 09 May 2011, 14:45   #56

Are you gibbering on about the photo that you said wasn't taken by you but by your dad?
Old 09 May 2011, 14:48   #57

Hmmmm, I do seem to have missed out a day somewhere.

Ah, found it.... (previous entry for days 4 & 5 should be under days 5 & 6).

Day 4 – Monday

We tried for an early start again in preparation for the next 121kms of river. We had originally intended doing 160kms but all agreed that it was a bit ambitious and 6 hours behind the wheel each day was more than enough. Grimalkin and I decided we would need a bit of fuel as we were heading into unknown territory with lower speed limits and higher consumption. We had both brought a spare fuel can with us and managed over several trips to cart 140 litres between us from the nearest roadside petrol station. A luggage trolley had been on my checklist, but somehow got forgotten.

We were now heading towards our first lock and the non-tidal part of the river. Amfreville Ecluse looked a bit daunting at first, but as with most of the locks, we had it to ourselves. Avocet greased the wheels nicely with the lock keeper in his best French and we didn’t have to wait long to be let in. We still have no idea what the keepers’ said back to us on the VHF, but Avocet’s introductions seemed to work. We rafted up inside, slung our lines around the mooring bollards and waited as the surge of water raised us 8m. There had been numerous accounts of having to share locks with huge barges and having to wait until commercial traffic made it worthwhile for operating, but as we came to realise, each lock keeper was helpful and perhaps even a little bit enthusiastic to see three relatively small ‘rosbif’ boats navigating their river.

We made steady progress and finally pulled into Port de L’Ilon for our overnight berths. This was our last refuelling opportunity before the Paris leg, which would have been all the better if it wasn’t the most expensive fuel on the river (1.73) and if the pump wasn’t the slowest in the world. Our hotel was a short taxi ride away (well short compared to the one in Le Havre) and we dined in a rustic Moroccan style restaurant.

1 - Amfreville lock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00121.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	59212  
Old 09 May 2011, 15:08   #58

Day 7 – Thursday

This saw us return to Rouen. Again a slightly speedier journey, having built up even more confidence in the locks and realised that there just weren’t any VNF personnel around to check our speed. We also had the river current in our favour which probable gave us a knot or two. The buoyage and signage along the river was starting to look familiar, and made life easier not having to refer to the Seine Aval pilotage book all the time. The book, incidentally, is essential, but its damned hard work turning the pages and identifying where you are when you don’t keep on top of it. Each page is just a relatively featureless section of the river and it’s easy to lose track of your position.

Back in Rouen we were warmly greeted by the Capitain and his followers and invited in for coffee. The marina, although possibly the best en-route was also the cheapest at 8 euros per night. They also hope to have waterside fuel in the next two years.
Old 09 May 2011, 15:26   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
(assuming you are being serious)

Erm, no!

Why would anyone quote (wrongly) the full title of the Queen of England?? If I knew you were this easy to wind up I would have been doing it ages ago.

Old 09 May 2011, 15:29   #60

Quote:
Back in Rouen we were warmly greeted by the Capitain and his followers and invited in for coffee. The marina, although possibly the best en-route was also the cheapest at 8 euros per night. They also hope to have waterside fuel in the next two years.